Subaru Outback Forums banner

581 - 600 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
97 Outback
118 Posts
Got more work done on the Legacy yesterday, it's so close! Installed the header, cats, and exhaust (had to weld on a new O2 sensor bung on the front cat, broke the old one off), torqued the front axle nuts, made a mounting plate for the phase II coil pack to mount on the phase I intake, and rewired the igniter harness to make the phase II coil work. Today I'm going to ground the pin on the ECU to tell the car it's a manual now, and connect the neutral safety switch and reverse sensor. After that it's just minor stuff, I expect to drive it today.

·
Registered
97 Outback
118 Posts
Cranks, doesn't start. I was able to check spark, need to see if I plugged the fuel injectors on the opposite injector or something.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,173 Posts
So you know you have spark. But, you are not 100% on fuel?

I just became interested. You have done some good ******* work. I am now intrigued. '95 was my 1st modern (nice) Subaru. I like the Gen2/1 (OB) very much. I want another one.

·
Registered
97 Outback
118 Posts

I just became interested. You have done some good ******* work. I am now intrigued. '95 was my 1st modern (nice) Subaru. I like the Gen2/1 (OB) very much. I want another one.
I know I have fuel pressure. The engine kind of lopes when I try to start it, making me think I flipped the injector plugs. I ran out of charge on my battery yesterday so didn't get there to try that. Might mess with that today. The engine worked perfectly in my 97 outback, swapped it into an auto 95 legacy, but I also swapped the entire engine harness from the Legacy's EJ22 (threw a rod).

The Legacy ran when I pulled the engine too, thrown rod and all.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,554 Posts

selling the 2005 XT cherry bomb? or leaving a old one outside for the joy riding vampires to pick at overnight?

·
Registered
97 Outback
118 Posts
So, grabbed a fuel pump from a 99 Outback, have good fuel pressure now. Got "open circuit" on cylinder 2, replaced that injector (as well as the cyl. 4 injector, since I grabbed that bank from the junkyard), code went away. Got "open circuit" cylinder 1, that was an easy one, was a broken connector, so replaced the pigtail, that code went away. Wasn't really getting strong spark from my 4 pin coil/ignitor pack, so I switched it back to the stock 3 pin plus separate ignitor, getting better spark, but still not getting it to start correctly. It'll kind of try to start on occasion, but never catch. Not getting any codes, going to put a timing light on it. I'm not sure if the Phase II heads cam position sensor positioning might be messing with it, it all worked fine in my Outback, but that was a different computer/wiring/etc compared to the EJ22 based 95 Legacy... My biggest hindrance yesterday though was running out of battery again... Ugh.

·
Registered
97 Outback
118 Posts
And we're up and running! Car runs great now. I put in a crank and cam position sensor from a 95 Legacy and it fired right up. I guess the newer sensors are different enough to mess with a 95.

Needed fresh gas, been sitting too long.

Decided to break it in on some muddy dirt road.

·
Registered
98 OB
47 Posts
Replaced driver's steering rack boot (& outer tie rod) @ 241,000kms
Passenger side in a couple weeks....
Weather finally co-operated...

Did passenger side steering boot and outer tie rod @ 244,000kms
Took just over 2hrs.

·
Registered
97 Outback
118 Posts
Sold my Legacy last night, after the trans blew up I just couldn't bear to fix it one more time. Was able to sell it as-is to a kid who needed to replace the motor in his 07 Impreza that had rod knock. Should be just about a direct drop in since I put the Phase II SOHC heads on it. With that, I doubt I'll ever buy a Subaru again, so won't be around here anymore. It's a nice forum, really helped me a lot while I was fixing my Outback and Legacy.

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
419 Posts
Sighed as we took the highway exit, and realized the noisy overblown exhaust sound was coming from my car. Straight pipe / muffler flange has got the leak this time. Actually, I kind of like it *sheepish grin* much more pleasant to my ears than chainsaw-y aftermarket stuff... this one is 100% factory-installed ;-)

Add it to the "steering boot, caliper bolt, oil change" list next time there's a nice day.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Huh, me again!
Used some high-temp epoxy tape on the exhaust a while back, and it hushed it up pretty well. Now that I see it, I think the shop used a glob of it to cover up the flex pipe when the other joint rotted away for the last time... ugly, but works.

And today, fixed my speedometer (again). 6-years-back me made some nasty cold-solder joints. This should be better, so here's to another 6 years! (If I still have this car... SMH)

·
Registered
97 OB Ltd, 98 OBS
164 Posts
p225It's been a while but decided to show my 97 a little love. My daily in-town driver..go around me if you're in a f'ing hurry.

Added '05 outback 16" steelies 225/60-16. Ridings on '04 forester struts with 2" rear spacers.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 4AT EJ253 King Springs (raised) Falken Wildcat Trail 255/25/17
47 Posts
Rear King springs, front DIY lift spacers, DIY alignment using cross-line laser, two tape measures, and a metal ruler.

I'd been wanting a mild lift for ages, but didn't want/have the cash. Finally got fed up with the rear sag whenever anything was placed in the car behind the front wheels. Having done the struts all round with KYB's last year, I knew the front springs were already plenty stiff to support that end. But the backs have always been much too soft. I often carry loads from the DIY big box, or occaisionally pull a trailer. The King raised rear was perfect. Gained slightly more than an inch and much much more stable under weighted conditions.

To balance it I took the front spacer drawings found in this forum, bought an inch thick "commercial" cutting board for $22 and fabricated some spacers. A good quality hardware store had the 50mm class 8 bolts for the top hats. BTW, the stock strut top studs are 25mm long FIY--that does not include the serrations that lock it into the tophat. So from that I judge 50mm would be plenty room to add 1" spacer. 40mm would have been fine.

The car is now level. I have 7 3/4 at the lowest point on the exhaust. Well above 8" elsewhere along the midline. Took it for an off pavement drive the other day and felt much more comfortable in the ruts and rocks. It's not huge but having the rear nolonger sag under a load, the clearance is now fairly stable, even when loaded for a trip.

This weekend I played with alignment. Using a cross-line laser seems to work pretty well. If only I had a nice flat clean shop floor to park on :p That' s next weekend I guess.

Kudo's to Rallitek for carrying the King Springs and quick shipping. Kudo's to Parkrose Hardware for carrying a dizzying array of high quality metric fasteners. Kudo's to the Mt Hood National Forest for a beautiful place to drive.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Bought a sibling for my 99 SUS:
2009 Infiniti G37x, in silver ("liquid platinum")/black int.
Wanted something that goes fast and is more comfy. Nissan is like a cousin once-removed, imo: Similar control positions and logic.
Probably keeping both, at least through winter... Moving next summer, and definitely can't bring two cars. 3rd gen wagon would be perfect, but i had to taste the "other side" at least once. Now they both make me "=D"

·
Registered
'97 Outback, EJ25, 226k miles
4 Posts
p225It's been a while but decided to show my 97 a little love. My daily in-town driver..go around me if you're in a f'ing hurry.

Added '05 outback 16" steelies 225/60-16. Ridings on '04 forester struts with 2" rear spacers.
Nice! That's very similar to my ultimate plan for my 97. I'll probably stick with stock rims and either go with 215/75r15 Grabber AT2s, or if I get enough room with spacers and forester struts, 235/75r15 Grabber ATXs.

Today though its just tune up time!

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
162 Posts
Bought my first 1st gen Subaru. '96 OB Legacy Wagon. Got it for a good deal, I think. Paid $650. Not rusted out, but does have some slight body damage on the passenger side fenders. Missing the foglights (the center bottom fender area looks like an unprimed replacement part). It has a fairly new clutch and looks to be well maintained. Of course it has the wobbly shifter (needs a new bushing), and a small oil leak from the rear of the motor (maybe the inspection plate? - he said the rear main was replaced when the clutch was installed, but I guess I'll find out). It could use some new tires soon as well. All axle boots are intact, and the driver's side inner tie rod end is going bad (dry with a small amount of in/out play after a long time with a torn boot, looks like). Brakes appear fairly new also.

Interior looks fantastic, and the leather is all still intact with an incredible aftermarket sound system and cold air. It has the EJ22 engine. It's been parked because it has a leak coming from a brake proportional valve (on the passenger fender under the hood) and the owner was ready to part with it rather than repair it. I drove it, and other than squishy brakes, it ran well, and the clutch was smooth and well adjusted. Any ideas on where to get a replacement proportional valve? I couldn't find it on subaruparts or any aftermarket parts houses (that I know of). Wrecking yard, maybe?? Timing belt looks fairly recent (based on what I could see after I pulled the left timing belt cover). I'll get more pics up after I go pick it up next week.

EDIT: Forgot to add the mileage ...... 155,000

Attachments

581 - 600 of 637 Posts