Subaru Outback Forums banner

601 - 614 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
131 Posts
Picked up my third Subaru today. As promised, here are a few more pics......

Attachments

·
Registered
'96 Subaru Outback 2.2, 5-speed, 15" tires
12 Posts
I purchased a '96 Subaru Legacy L 2.2 for parts, off Facebook Marketplace, it turned out was 5 blocks from my house.

I made a list what to take off the car, starting with what I can remove and still drive it.

I intend to have the engine pulled. I am concerned it has a #2 cylinder problem showing on the FIXD OBD reader. I intended to swap engines. I read more than a few comments in this forum about #2 cylinder. I am thinking I will have the engine pulled, and put on a furniture dolly. I will have it rebuilt later, or not. Advice?

..meanwhile I am installing little things from the parts car.

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
131 Posts
Used a clay bar on my (new to me) Legacy today, and she cleaned up pretty well. Amazing how smooth the finish is now. Can't wait to wax it out and really pull out the shine.

She's still got it in her after 22 years. Just getting started :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Outback Limited with 2.2 swap
24 Posts
98 Outback 5 spd. Bought complete new brake set up for front and rear. Time to replace as part as this cars rebuild. Changed out the 2.5 to a "95 2.2 with 55,000 miles in the first installment. Pulls steep hills well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pulled the EJ22 out of my (new to me) '96 Legacy Outback today. This thing looks like it has been rode hard and put up wet (but it ran well). Gonna put the timing covers back on when I put it back together. It was pouring oil out the rear main seal. They had put some black gasket maker over it in some kind of attempt to keep it from leaking SMH. Lot of cleaning to do if I'm ever gonna get this thing looking good again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5L
2 Posts
1999 OB bought new, and now has 200,800 original miles. Made my first effort at replacing burned out bulbs (other than headlights -- done those many times).

Right rear license plate light? Easy peasy. Took a 194 bulb.

Next, the bulb under the gearshift panel to let you know what gear you're in. That one was a bit more challenging, with some tight, tiny spaces for these fat fingers of mine, but success! Also a 194 bulb.

Next, instrument cluster lights. Watched a couple youtube videos on similar but not identical Subies. Really, 19 bulbs of different sizes? Gulp.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5L
2 Posts
And today, continued the project: first I bought a magnetic retrieval tool in case any tiny screws fell into a tiny crevasse. Then, I carefully maneuvered the instrument panel out, replaced the four "large" bulbs (even sliding the blue plastic covers off the old bulbs and managing mostly to get them onto the new ones). All 4 were 194s.

The other 14 bulbs were tiny, and as they mostly light up various malfunction alert lights so I assume they hardly get any use, I chose not to replace those. The 15th socket looked a bit larger than those, but smaller than the 4 sockets. I left that one alone, too.

Re-assembly was easy, and now when the headlights are on, I can actually see illumination of the main gauges again. May not sound like much of a job to the accomplished DIY crowd here, but for this old guy who just put a boatload of money into the Subie, it was a relief to be able to do this in less than 2 hours total, and spend only about $25, including the retrieval tool.

·
Registered
97 OBW 5MT, 01 LLBean OBW, 03 RubiconTJ 5MT, 05 330cic ZHP 6MT, 07 530XiT AT, 07 Odyssey Touring
127 Posts
Gave my 97 OBW some love. Restored the headlight lenses, washed it, and gave it a good wax! Both my 01 and 97 looked fantastic considering their age. The 01 especially since it has over 300000mi on the clock. The 97 only has 167000.

-r

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 Legacy SUS Ltd, BGM && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
335 Posts
Bought a new filler neck and vapor relief valve earlier this month, had them installed at a shop today. Looks like I might have been a little bit overdue...!
Also vacuumed, and put in my new low-profile bluetooth OBDII reader. This time it won't get kicked everytime someone else drives the car.
Finally got oil changed and sent in my yearly sample to Blackwell Labs.

Attachments

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,673 Posts
Let it sit outside in the rain, where the rust that I haven't gotten around to finish fixing yet is slowly creeping along....... :)

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited
6 Posts
My 4th Subie

I bought a '98 Legacy Outback last week for a winter car. It's uncommonly clean for it's age, I live in Pittsburgh, Pa where cars rust quickly but this OB came from Nebraska, I guess they don't use salt there. It has almost zero body rust (one spot above the windshield), but it is covered in horrible hard water stains. The windshield was cracked so I had that replaced, but for the last week I've been polishing the water stains from all the other windows (you could barely see through them), it's taking over an hour a window and lots of elbow grease. I've been using Meguiar's Glass Polishing Compound and 0000 steel wool. Five windows down, three to go.

I'm getting it inspected this Saturday, I know it needs a center exhaust pipe and fuel filler neck to pass, hopefully nothing else. I have a list of other things I want to do to it this year, I'm going to have some fun with this car!

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited
6 Posts
Since my last post on the 13th, I've had the OB inspected, had the center exhaust pipe replaced (nice and quiet now and Meineke said the exhaust they removed was original!), I've cleaned one more window of the hard water stains, and last night I replaced the leaking fuel filler neck, wasn't too bad of a job. This weekend it's getting 4 new tires and an alignment.

Next will be spark plugs, plug wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, oil pressure sending unit, and alternator belt.

·
Premium Member
1999 Legacy SUS Ltd, BGM && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
335 Posts
I decided to change my AC belt today, because it was making horrible noises when the clutch was disengaged.

I did this after work, in the parking lot. The 10-minute job turned into 3 extra hours...:

Because, I sheared off an alternator bolt (the one that locks the tensioner). What coincidence I was at work... just unbolted the whole assembly, took it into our engineering lab, and clamped it down on the drill press. Drilled into the remaining nub of bolt... and, much to my great surprise, the broken piece perfectly unscrewed itself and dropped out! Didn't think I had rust luck like that, hah!

Still was short one M8x40mm bolt, and nothing lying around (our whole office uses SAE/english...), so I drove 2 miles downtown to the hardware store, got new bolts, and reassembled everything in the parking lot.

Picture includes alternator and offending bolt, plus the <i> old, failing alternator i've been driving around in my trunk for a year, because I am an implacable hoarder of junk</i>. My plan was that, if I couldn't drill out that bit of bolt, I'd strap the old one in to get home in the hopes that it would [email protected]$$ things enough that I didn't run out of juice.

In final reflection, the Torque OBDII app showed me that, with my new bolt and well-tensioned belts (not to mention the warmer weather), , I am in fact generating 14.1V at idle! Hooray!

(This probably isn't a noteworthy thing for most people, but through the winter I'd routinely drop to about 13.1 with headlights, fogs, and butt warmers.)

601 - 614 of 614 Posts