Subaru Outback Forums banner

4121 - 4140 of 4314 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
534 Posts
Started hearing a grinding noise coming from the rear passenger wheel area. Discovered that the backing plate is rusted and damaged pushing the E-brake shoe into the rotor. Doesn’t look like it’ll be easy to replace....

Attempted to bend part that was pushing on the shoe but after putting the wheel back on I still hear a slight grinding noise when I spin the tire. A test drive proved is is hardly noticeable in the cab. Might sometime try to grind the rubbing part of the shoe with a dremmel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
Installed the new downstream O2 sensor. Wishful thinking I’m sure, but hoping this is the problem with the P0420 code.

Have to say though, the included Denso copper looking anti-seize is some good stuff. Made removing the sensors a breeze. In and out in 5 min with nothing but a standard wrench. Spent about as much time jacking and placing the stands.

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abarth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
188 Posts
Seafoam and gas, oh and the washer fluid, aaaaand noticed the banjo bolt on my powersteering is leaking. Other than that though, just enjoyed watching it tick over 100miles since the engine swap. Whole different car, feels like it might even have been made in the last twenty years again now.

·
Registered
534 Posts
In an attempt to find the cause of my fuel trim problems, with the help of cardoc, ran some logs on RomRaider. Replaced the fuel filter with OEM. Checked the fuel pressures to verify all was good with the pump, injectors, regulator and dampeners. Also threw some Berryman B-12 in the tank.

Checked again for vacuum leaks and may have found the largest problem so far. Seems my EGR valve is leaking around the gasket. Already ordered new EGR gaskets from subarupartsforyou so hopefully I’ll they’ll com in before next weekend.

Still need to take the heat shields off the cats so I can check the temps and verify the cats are or aren’t working properly. Cardoc mentioned it looks like the O2 sensor heaters are keeping them up to temp not the exhaust.

Also need to get a new OEM thermostat since when I first started working on the old girl I didn’t know the importance of OEM parts.

Feel as I’m finally getting somewhere with diagnosing these performance issues, granted with a lot of help from everyone here.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,423 Posts
the outback recently threw 3 codes for misfires (different banks) ,cleared them and they haven't returned. The car hasn't been driven much so, we'll be watching it.

I looked around a little with my BT adapter. and noticed fuel trims were being being pulled. One of them was at -10.3 or so at idle but dropped to neg. single digits when I revved. All of them were at neg -X, some just -3 or -6 or so.

Just wondering if this might point to aging plugs? I think they have about 40K miles on them. They are Iridium. When they do get pulled, I'm going back to double plats.

·
Registered
17,423 Posts
Got tired of trying to tighten the pass side mirror. Used some painters tape to stabilize it, took the old bolt completely out, took it down to the hrdwr store. Got a hex socket pan-head type screw, M5 x .8 about 20mm long, put some threadlocker on it and installed. Seems good so far, shouldn't come loose but if it does, 3mm hex key wrench is MUCH better than offset philips .

the old screw is about 17-18 mm so, a 15mm or a 20mm might both work.

only took 16 years to repair!

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL Bean with 224,000 on the clock and a 03 Outback Limited with 157K
128 Posts
Busy day here. Picked up another Subaru Outback for my daughter. A 2003 Outback Limited in all black and leather.
But spent the rest of the day cleaning the engine bay.......it was FILTHY but so far she runs pretty good.
Everything I have tried so far is working except for the driver side visor which has a broken hinge on the mirror door......plenty on eBay but most look pretty dirty. Also, the rearview mirror has gone dark so that is another search.

Jim

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,617 Posts
new better longer bed version with extra boxes to keep all stuff in them and not take any extra space. will be amazing to test

·
Registered
17,423 Posts
Busy day here. Picked up another Subaru Outback for my daughter. A 2003 Outback Limited in all black and leather.
But spent the rest of the day cleaning the engine bay.......it was FILTHY but so far she runs pretty good.
Everything I have tried so far is working except for the driver side visor which has a broken hinge on the mirror door......plenty on eBay but most look pretty dirty. Also, the rearview mirror has gone dark so that is another search.

Jim
this could be a good mirror kit for you; https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/67-classifieds/486937-fs-frameless-mirror-upgrade-kits-03-14-subarus.html?highlight=dimming+kit

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
532 Posts
That looks good. No shroud????
In a holding pattern until I pick one up, since it's my first time I scavenged the bixenon projectors from a Maxima in the u pull it not thinking about shrouds. I'm just more or less on a practice run before I crack open my rev-d, working out methods and kinks. Then I'm gonna go proper with the parts. It's been an awesome learning experience, a lot easier than expected

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,754 Posts
In a holding pattern until I pick one up, since it's my first time I scavenged the bixenon projectors from a Maxima in the u pull it not thinking about shrouds. I'm just more or less on a practice run before I crack open my rev-d, working out methods and kinks. Then I'm gonna go proper with the parts. It's been an awesome learning experience, a lot easier than expected

A Dremel helps a lot.

My lights are Rev-D. I left an amber light in the top turn, replaced the lower amber with a bright white and disconnected the high beam bulb since the projector has a deflector (my projector uses the high beam circuit to operate the deflector). If the Nissan light isn't dual, then you'd want to leave the Rev-D high beam connected to the car, (the plug is the same for your model). I blacked out the bowl. The lower light comes on with the headlights and when it flashes with the turn signals the white lights up the corner really good. Gets other driver's attention and the walkers that don't pay attention and try to cross against a light.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
532 Posts
A Dremel helps a lot.

My lights are Rev-D. I left an amber light in the top turn, replaced the lower amber with a bright white and disconnected the high beam bulb since the projector has a deflector (my projector uses the high beam circuit to operate the deflector). If the Nissan light isn't dual, then you'd want to leave the Rev-D high beam connected to the car, (the plug is the same for your model). I blacked out the bowl. The lower light comes on with the headlights and when it flashes with the turn signals the white lights up the corner really good. Gets other driver's attention and the walkers that don't pay attention and try to cross against a light.
Oh yes, a Dremel is the biggest help in this process. Fortunately the projectors are bixenon so I retain high beams, I'll black out the reflectors eventually, once I start finalizing how, where and what and am able to put them back together

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abarth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
188 Posts
Took my oldest for an hour of driving lesson, ran a few errands and then dropped it off at the dealer and picked up the new to me 2015 2.5 Outback with all the buttons. I will miss the 03, but every time I drove it I could feel more work I needed to do and as I already have two other cars in rebuild I just want an easy commute / adventure wagon. So it was time to move on.

4121 - 4140 of 4314 Posts