Subaru Outback Forums banner

4141 - 4160 of 4328 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Outback L.L. Bean H6 3.0 (~200K)
11 Posts
Well I started another thread about this a couple weeks ago but finally got around to doing it. I was at the junkyard on an unrelated task and grabbed the low pressure hose from an H4 as mine was seeping at the crimp. I installed it today and it fits though the charging port is in the front instead of the back by the fire wall. Otherwise it is holding pressure and blowing cold so please someone come and tell me why this was a bad idea before I drive home and ruin my compressor.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
540 Posts
New cats came today, get to send them back as the flange bolt holes don’t long up... fun stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,427 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Outback, 2.5 H4, 4SPD Auto, Cold Wx PAckage, 01 Dakota QC 4WD, 14 Equinox LT
165 Posts
Scored a Bean grill as an upgrade to my well weathered H4 OE. Where's a good place to get an emblem? The Bean Emblem was roached. The dealer has them for $51, but that seems a little steep for a stick on badge, now....if it was stainless, I could see $51, but painted clear plastic. I actually toyed with the idea of cleaning the old one, embedding LED's in the 6 stars and seeing what that looked like. Thoughts from the group. Are the LED's getting too "ricer-ish"?

·
Registered
2001 2.5 MT
16 Posts
@OutbackILM Is that $51 for the front grill emblem?? seems silly as I'm seeing them new on eBay for $38 ill add a link at the bottom. Best bet is to look in your local junkyard, a whole grill (emblem included) can be had for less than $25 and really you could pop the emblem out and they prob would not charge you. Personally I went with the Legacy GT grill because the honey comb looked good. best of luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Subaru-Outback-Legacy-2003-2006-Subaru-Baja-Grille-Emblem-OEM-NEW/141782302529?fits=Model:Outback|Make:Subaru&epid=1711114582&hash=item2102e23f41:g:~mIAAOSwsB9WAdaH

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL Bean with 224,000 on the clock and a 03 Outback Limited with 157K
128 Posts
Still cleaning and fixing the 2003 Outback Limited Outback that I picked up for my daughter. I thought the engine bay was dirty........nothing compared to what I found on the interior. I don't think the PO ever cleaned this 03. ;^(
But the leather, vinyl, and carpet seem in good condition.......was just dirty from grime and spots that I guess were caused by spills from baby bottles or a kid throwing stuff around the interior.

But I still have some issues in the drivetrain and perhaps the body that I would welcome ideas/suggestions on.

1. Brakes
I usually change out the rotors and pads with new on used cars. But when I looked closely on this 03 the pads looked almost new, the rotor surfaces show no unusual wear. The anti-rattle clips are still shiny with no rust. The bleed screws look almost new and released with ease.
I did my usual brake bleed and flush but I am still getting a too soft pedal........not sure why.

2. Strange, annoying clunking sound from the rear of the car when starting out. Searched for loose parts under the car as well as the spare tire well and jack storage..........nothing found so far.

3. Auto trans
I drained the old fluid it looked pretty good. I did not pull the pan. Refilled with new fluid but some slipping and rough shifting remains but does not happen all the time. When accelerating into a turn after a stop sign/light it has occasionally seemed to lose the gear causing the engine to race for a second or so then it grabs back into gear. Hasn't done this from a straight start.......at least so far.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,427 Posts
brakes,:double check for stuck calipers (the rubber sleeves can swell and cause problems, many folks pull and toss them) look for cracked caliper bracket or broken bracket bolt. I suppose, even if nearly new, the pads could be a cheap material or need bedding in. I once bought some pads on close-out that were terrifying. Stay with name brand ceramic or , maybe, semi-metallic. i think Centric PosiQuiet ceramic are good on our 03.

clunking; differential mount bushings, suspension bushing, maybe u-joint, parking brake parts. Could someone pace the car when you reverse and find out if noise is central or
lateral?

trans: no dents in pan? Fluid level checked while idling? Some folks have improved trans function by using a product like Trans-X. may need to be used every year or 2.

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL Bean with 224,000 on the clock and a 03 Outback Limited with 157K
128 Posts
1LT,

Looks to be a frozen caliper on the driver side. I will replace it as soon as the new caliper arrives.

Hope this is the fix ?

Jim

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
540 Posts
Replaced the thermostat and coolant yesterday. Today plan to give the girl a quick wash and try to find the source of the trans fluid leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,054 Posts
I finally got both Subaru remanned axels installed on my 2003 L.L. Bean project Subaru. All I need to do to finish is get my exhaust welded up and installed, throw radiator in, plug a bunch of connections and grounds, and fire it up. This 2003 L.L. Bean Subaru has been sitting for around 3 years now, and it shows when you look at the rotors, they are very rusted. I have a feeling once I do get this car started I'm going to be right back in the garage doing break work. It's got the JDM motor in it, the transmission I got for 300 bucks out of a 2002 Bean with less than 100k, and I'm eager to see if I got a winner here.

Looks like the site got a face lift, I have not been here for a while. I'll be back in a month or so with a video of the 2003 Bean firing up for the first time... I hope.... Other than that, just a HELLO to all of you Subaru mentors that have been so supportive and helpful and DEDICATED after all this time.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,848 Posts
Now that Gen 2 Outback's are 20 years old does anyone plan on getting classic tags?

I know some states it's only twenty years while in mine it's twenty five.

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
155 Posts

Purchased this gal today for $400. Very little rust underneath. Going to need an engine (lady ran it low or out of oil and a rod is knocking) and a new front axle boot for sure, but the interior is primo. Haven't seen these particular wheels before on a 2nd gen. Not sure if they are original.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,023 Posts
Now that Gen 2 Outback's are 20 years old does anyone plan on getting classic tags?

I got 2002 plates on my 2002s now. as have had registrations with those plates for that long.
and have not been forced to buy new plates.
(which is kind of a extra $20 -30 kick to the crotch if / when it happens)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,023 Posts
View attachment 468411

Purchased this gal today for $400. Very little rust underneath. Going to need an engine (lady ran it low or out of oil and a rod is knocking) and a new front axle boot for sure, but the interior is primo. Haven't seen these particular wheels before on a 2nd gen. Not sure if they are original.
higher trim forester rims. same size/ work fine on such outbacks.

you are looking for a 2000-2004 EJ251/ EJ252 engine, (you can mix and match a couple parts off a old one if you got one with auto vs. manual trans). Avoid any weirdo EJ259 from clean air states 2004 legacy /outback. (has a odd airbox that looks more like a EJ253, as it is half a step towards the later EJ253 series).
if you get a 2003-2004 EJ251 just need to block off the inlet port for the EGR, as a 2002 does not have it.

and look the new forum does not open the picture already posted. :)
as quoted pics suck

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here in Oregon, the rule is 25 years.........but that is the easy part.

If this car is to be registered as a Special Interest Vehicle. The year model is at least 25 years old.
If certifying this vehicle to be an antique vehicle or special interest vehicle that is not a racing activity vehicle, I certify this vehicle is to be maintained as a collector’s item and used only for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar functions. I understand it is a crime to operate this vehicle outside of the limitations of the registration provisions as specified in ORS 805.030. Such a crime is a Class D traffic violation and may result in this registration being canceled.

Mine will be drivers ;^)

Jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
View attachment 468411

Congrats! That was a **** of a deal just for the parts. Looks to be in good condition.

4141 - 4160 of 4328 Posts