Subaru Outback Forums banner

4181 - 4200 of 4227 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,134 Posts
drove down to the hill country - car is perfectly well-behaved other than some groaning/squeaking in the rear.

Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg is way more awesome than I expected. They have a Japanese 2-man mini-sub on display. It bent its net cutting blades at Pearl harbor and blocked its torpedoes so, they floundered around the bay until they were stranded. One crewmember drowned getting out, the other became the first Japanese POW of WWII. The sub was toured around the country on a semi flatbed for war bond sales promotion, after a long time in a coupla different spots, it was found deteriorating in Florida (IIRC) and the Nimitz Museum managed to buy it with a loan from the Navy or w'ever. Then in the late 90s they inaugurated its display in F'burg - they brought that surviving crewmember over from Japan for the ceremony! later, they had to fight an attempt by hawaii to get it shipped back to them for display. Never gonna happen it seems after some political finagling.

They have a B-25 Mitchell Bomber on display...INDOORS !

Lots more, if you know anyone that is a WWII or military 'buff' - it's a must see.

I also visited the gravesite of Herman Lehman. I read his book about being an Indian captive for 9 years. First with the Apache, then with the Comanche. It was Quanah Parker that convinced him to go back home to Loyal valley TX with his mom and siblings when he was 19.

Drove to Enchanted Rock park - second largest granite dome in the US. (no, didn't hike to the top)

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,925 Posts
drove down to the hill country - car is perfectly well-behaved other than some groaning/squeaking in the rear.

Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg is way more awesome than I expected. They have a Japanese 2-man mini-sub on display. It bent its net cutting blades at Pearl harbor and blocked its torpedoes so, they floundered around the bay until they were stranded. One crewmember drowned getting out, the other became the first Japanese POW of WWII. The sub was toured around the country on a semi flatbed for war bond sales promotion, after a long time in a coupla different spots, it was found deteriorating in Florida (IIRC) and the Nimitz Museum managed to buy it with a loan from the Navy or w'ever. Then in the late 90s they inaugurated its display in F'burg - they brought that surviving crewmember over from Japan for the ceremony! later, they had to fight an attempt by hawaii to get it shipped back to them for display. Never gonna happen it seems after some political finagling.

Lots more, if you know anyone that is a WWII or military 'buff' - it's a must see.

I also visited the gravesite of Herman Lehman. I read his book about being an Indian captive for 9 years. First with the Apache, then with the Comanche. It was Quanah Parker that convinced him to go back home to Loyal valley TX with his mom and siblings when he was 19.

Drove to Enchanted Rock park - second largest granite dome in the US. (no, didn't hike to the top)

I was just looking at bullet analysis of a B-25 today as a thought exercise.

Planes coming back with bullet holes in the wing and body but none in the cockpit. etc.

Would love to see one in person! Need to hit up DC again soon.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
340 Posts

Sounds like an awesome museum, unfortunately I cant seem to see any of your pictures not sure if its just my cpu or not.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
102 Posts
Passenger-side valve cover gasket.

Had already changed the spark plugs so knew what I was getting myself into, but still had no idea how hard it would be to get the cover out with all those hoses in the way. Didn't jack up the engine and not even sure I will when I do the other side, but my hands are pretty small.

Must haves: 10mm stubby ratcheting wrench, 12mm flex head ratcheting wrench, 10mm flex head ratcheting wrench.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,134 Posts
Passenger-side valve cover gasket.

Had already changed the spark plugs so knew what I was getting myself into, but still had no idea how hard it would be to get the cover out with all those hoses in the way. Didn't jack up the engine and not even sure I will when I do the other side, but my hands are pretty small.

Must haves: 10mm stubby ratcheting wrench, 12mm flex head ratcheting wrench, 10mm flex head ratcheting wrench.

View attachment 472263
View attachment 472264

do the new gaskets stay in place securely when going back in?

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL Bean with 224,000 on the clock and a 03 Outback Limited with 157K
123 Posts
1 Lucky Tex,
I always enjoy museums. This one is a long way from Texas but has one of the best displays I have seen. The Evergreen Air & Space Museum in Mcminnville Oregon. Home of the original Spruce Goose.
Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bought mine a month ago.

Have already:
-Replaced spark plugs
-Replaced remote Transmission Filter
-Fixed both rear door seals
-Added B&M transmission cooler
-Added magnafine transmission filter
-Picked up FreeSSM software and appropriate cable to read ECU & TCU codes, data, system tests, measurements, adjustments.
-Programmed the TCU to cut back 8% on the transfer solenoid, was binding a tiny bit at slow speeds/tight corners.

To top it all off :D
Built an Arduino powered controller with a high side driver so I can manually command how much power I want delivered to the rear wheels. Directly controlling the transfer solenoid.
From F/R 0/100 split to 50/50 split. Turn it on when I want it, turn it off when I don't. No codes, no errors.

What did you do with your 2nd gen OB today?
I like this thread. :D
I bought my 02 outback wagon 3 months ago and I already replaced
Windshield
Full tune up
Valve cover gaskets
New front lower control arm w bushings front rearward bushing
Ball joints
Front swaybar bushings inner and outter (urathane)
Rack and pinion
Rack bushings (urathane)
Shifter bushings (urathane)
Shifter joint (pain in the ass)
All control arm bushings in the rear (OEM)
sub frame bushing (urathane )
New Sub frame bolts
Diff mount bushing (urathane)
Diff mount cradle (urathane)
New cam bolts

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
102 Posts
They do! It was actually a lot easier getting the cover back in as opposed to taking it out. I found a good angle and then gave it a little rotation. Went pretty smoothly. Would be great to take it out from the bottom but I didn't see enough clearance to make that happen. I used the FSM/Youtube placements for the silicone and also followed the specs for bolt tightening order and torque. 1/4" Torque wrench is also a must have.

·
Registered
2003 Outback EJ253, auto
9 Posts
I've had my 03 for 2 weeks now. First thing was the main O2 sensor (CEL was on when I bought it). Surprisingly the cat wasn't trashed from who-knows-how-long of driving with it dead (the CEL has a thick layer of adhesive over it from tape) and it passed Texas inspection fine (on an OBD2, that's a basic safety inspection + checking the ECU for any codes + emissions monitors... one "not ready" allowed, which is good, the evap still hasn't gone ready).

One seat heater switch had a working power light. Neither lit up with the headlights. After taking them apart to figure out what it would take to replace the lights, neither lit up at all. :mad: Followed a guide that turned up on Google on these here forums (which is how I found them to begin with), using the Eiko 14v bulbs suggested by someone in the thread. Both switches fully light up now, and I have bulbs left over to get the hazard switch and windshield heater switch lights working again when I feel like tackling them.

Next up: RF axle (bad inner CV) and front rotors (carfax shows a pad slap was done very recently, but the rotors are warped to ****).

Oh yeah, also need to swap the right taillight assembly. It's letting water in, causing the housing to fill up with water from even a car wash (and if the lights happen to be on before it fills up, the brake light bulb shatters). Have a used housing sitting here, but the seller cut the harness... and the sockets are rusted to **** on the one I have. So I'm gonna run up to Harbor Freight when they open and get some heat shrink butt connectors, to splice the new sockets onto my existing subharness.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,925 Posts
Oh yeah, also need to swap the right taillight assembly. It's letting water in, causing the housing to fill up with water from even a car wash (and if the lights happen to be on before it fills up, the brake light bulb shatters). Have a used housing sitting here, but the seller cut the harness... and the sockets are rusted to **** on the one I have. So I'm gonna run up to Harbor Freight when they open and get some heat shrink butt connectors, to splice the new sockets onto my existing subharness.
Before replacing the housing try drilling a tiny hole in the bottom to allow the water to drain.

On my cavalier the blinkers would look like a fish tank and blow out bulbs constantly. But once I drilled a hole it was never an issue again.

Yes it's not ideal but it might save a couple bucks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Before replacing the housing try drilling a tiny hole in the bottom to allow the water to drain.

On my cavalier the blinkers would look like a fish tank and blow out bulbs constantly. But once I drilled a hole it was never an issue again.

Yes it's not ideal but it might save a couple bucks.
I got my tail light housing from Amazon brand new also came with bulbs and a new wire harness fits perfect $95

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I guess it could save $95 instead of a couple?
If you dont have the extra money then drilling a hole is best bet. Way I looked at it was dealer wanted your left nut. Wrecking yard probably fadded and scratched. My outback had hacked wiring from some clown doing a trailer wire install. I bought one harness and one tail light housing. So I feel like i got a better deal. Changed both L&R harness and light housing. Of course tho mine was beyond fixing by drilling hole.

·
Registered
2003 Outback EJ253, auto
9 Posts
So yeah, I went ahead and swapped the housing with my $35 (shipped) housing. The old housing from the car had what looked like a brand new OEM harness on it, but the wires had clearly wicked up plenty of water - they were corroded and damp as far up as I was willing to cut (also, sockets were rusted and corroded badly) But at least, FOR NOW, I have a light that doesn't require blinker fluid or brake light fluid.

Also guys, keep in mind this is very much a beater car; I don't expect to have it more than a year, maybe two, at most. I'll keep up on maintenance, but outside of that and stuff related to keeping it running and/or keeping it safe (and keeping the AC working), I won't be spending much on it . It'll be replaced with another Subaru (probably Outback or Impreza wagon) at some point. It'd make a fantastic rally car or even LeMons car for someone else, but the body is too beat up for me to justify fixing it up (and as a lot of people know, body condition is everything if you make a claim with insurance). I've lost a small fortune before when a beat up car that had a ton of work done to it got totaled; even after weeks of negotiating with insurance, with receipts, I got a tiny fraction of what I'd put into it less than 2 months before (in this case, an EG Civic). I'm not gonna take that risk again, I got <$1k when I'd put over $3k into the car very recently, and had to really fight to get them to give me more than $400 (I eventually got $900ish... 1995 Civic w/high miles and a salvage title, but new paint, new suspension, new tires, new clutch, new carpet, new timing belt, etc etc etc. I put less than 10k on the car myself. the $3k figure was with me doing all of the work except for paint, which was an admittedly crappy Maaco job).

The tl;dr is I'm not getting burned like that again.At least not without a backup car. I drive too much to get a stated value policy.

I priced out the subharness, and holy YIKES, $60?!?!? I'll set up an alert at LKQ (our version of Pick n Pull) for 2nd gen Outbacks. They have one on the yard now, but it's been there since July, and it's pretty well stripped except for the back seat and automatic climate control (LL Bean edition). Drivetrain is still there too, but the H6 doesn't share much with the EJ253. It has 2 out of the 3 rear headrests (mine are all missing), but they're leather vs my cloth, so I passed. If I can get there the day they get another 2nd gen Outback in, I should be able to nab the harness for $5, maybe $10. Hopefully a same-year Legacy harness will work too, but I won't know until I see one (they had an 02 Legacy that day, but again, very stripped, and been there since July).

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
987 Posts
Replaced broken stud. Probably should have done more, but the one is all I felt like doing.

Attachments

4181 - 4200 of 4227 Posts