Subaru Outback Forums banner

4181 - 4192 of 4192 Posts

·
Registered
17,016 Posts
drove down to the hill country - car is perfectly well-behaved other than some groaning/squeaking in the rear.

Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg is way more awesome than I expected. They have a Japanese 2-man mini-sub on display. It bent its net cutting blades at Pearl harbor and blocked its torpedoes so, they floundered around the bay until they were stranded. One crewmember drowned getting out, the other became the first Japanese POW of WWII. The sub was toured around the country on a semi flatbed for war bond sales promotion, after a long time in a coupla different spots, it was found deteriorating in Florida (IIRC) and the Nimitz Museum managed to buy it with a loan from the Navy or w'ever. Then in the late 90s they inaugurated its display in F'burg - they brought that surviving crewmember over from Japan for the ceremony! later, they had to fight an attempt by hawaii to get it shipped back to them for display. Never gonna happen it seems after some political finagling.

They have a B-25 Mitchell Bomber on display...INDOORS !

Lots more, if you know anyone that is a WWII or military 'buff' - it's a must see.

I also visited the gravesite of Herman Lehman. I read his book about being an Indian captive for 9 years. First with the Apache, then with the Comanche. It was Quanah Parker that convinced him to go back home to Loyal valley TX with his mom and siblings when he was 19.

Drove to Enchanted Rock park - second largest granite dome in the US. (no, didn't hike to the top)

·
Super Moderator
9,558 Posts
drove down to the hill country - car is perfectly well-behaved other than some groaning/squeaking in the rear.

Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg is way more awesome than I expected. They have a Japanese 2-man mini-sub on display. It bent its net cutting blades at Pearl harbor and blocked its torpedoes so, they floundered around the bay until they were stranded. One crewmember drowned getting out, the other became the first Japanese POW of WWII. The sub was toured around the country on a semi flatbed for war bond sales promotion, after a long time in a coupla different spots, it was found deteriorating in Florida (IIRC) and the Nimitz Museum managed to buy it with a loan from the Navy or w'ever. Then in the late 90s they inaugurated its display in F'burg - they brought that surviving crewmember over from Japan for the ceremony! later, they had to fight an attempt by hawaii to get it shipped back to them for display. Never gonna happen it seems after some political finagling.

Lots more, if you know anyone that is a WWII or military 'buff' - it's a must see.

I also visited the gravesite of Herman Lehman. I read his book about being an Indian captive for 9 years. First with the Apache, then with the Comanche. It was Quanah Parker that convinced him to go back home to Loyal valley TX with his mom and siblings when he was 19.

Drove to Enchanted Rock park - second largest granite dome in the US. (no, didn't hike to the top)

I was just looking at bullet analysis of a B-25 today as a thought exercise.

Planes coming back with bullet holes in the wing and body but none in the cockpit. etc.

Would love to see one in person! Need to hit up DC again soon.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Sounds like an awesome museum, unfortunately I cant seem to see any of your pictures not sure if its just my cpu or not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Passenger-side valve cover gasket.

Had already changed the spark plugs so knew what I was getting myself into, but still had no idea how hard it would be to get the cover out with all those hoses in the way. Didn't jack up the engine and not even sure I will when I do the other side, but my hands are pretty small.

Must haves: 10mm stubby ratcheting wrench, 12mm flex head ratcheting wrench, 10mm flex head ratcheting wrench.

·
Registered
17,016 Posts
Passenger-side valve cover gasket.

Had already changed the spark plugs so knew what I was getting myself into, but still had no idea how hard it would be to get the cover out with all those hoses in the way. Didn't jack up the engine and not even sure I will when I do the other side, but my hands are pretty small.

Must haves: 10mm stubby ratcheting wrench, 12mm flex head ratcheting wrench, 10mm flex head ratcheting wrench.

View attachment 472263
View attachment 472264

do the new gaskets stay in place securely when going back in?

·
Registered
122 Posts
1 Lucky Tex,
I always enjoy museums. This one is a long way from Texas but has one of the best displays I have seen. The Evergreen Air & Space Museum in Mcminnville Oregon. Home of the original Spruce Goose.
Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought mine a month ago.

Have already:
-Replaced spark plugs
-Replaced remote Transmission Filter
-Fixed both rear door seals
-Added B&M transmission cooler
-Added magnafine transmission filter
-Picked up FreeSSM software and appropriate cable to read ECU & TCU codes, data, system tests, measurements, adjustments.
-Programmed the TCU to cut back 8% on the transfer solenoid, was binding a tiny bit at slow speeds/tight corners.

To top it all off :D
Built an Arduino powered controller with a high side driver so I can manually command how much power I want delivered to the rear wheels. Directly controlling the transfer solenoid.
From F/R 0/100 split to 50/50 split. Turn it on when I want it, turn it off when I don't. No codes, no errors.

What did you do with your 2nd gen OB today?
I like this thread. :D
I bought my 02 outback wagon 3 months ago and I already replaced
Windshield
Full tune up
Valve cover gaskets
New front lower control arm w bushings front rearward bushing
Ball joints
Front swaybar bushings inner and outter (urathane)
Rack and pinion
Rack bushings (urathane)
Shifter bushings (urathane)
Shifter joint (pain in the ass)
All control arm bushings in the rear (OEM)
sub frame bushing (urathane )
New Sub frame bolts
Diff mount bushing (urathane)
Diff mount cradle (urathane)
New cam bolts

4181 - 4192 of 4192 Posts