Subaru Outback Forums banner

4201 - 4220 of 4228 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fabricated a solid pitch stop mount using part of an old lawn mower handle (lol) and holy crap there is so much more noise and vibration....but I like it. I did it to try to cut down on driveline ‘lash’ but alas it did not. Neither did tightening down the transmission mount. Also dumped two quarts per side of used motor oil mixed with heating oil into the rocker panel body area via the lower rear arch rust holes; letting it slowly drain out. That ought to give the rust demons a pause.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
102 Posts
Changed the transmission filter along with 3-ish quarts of new synthetic ATF in there.

Thinking it's possible this was the stock filter (155k, third owner). Took vice grips and a screwdriver through the body of the filter to get it off.

Going to check the ATF level tomorrow to see if I need to add more, erred a little on the low side since I overfilled last time I did a partial flush.

·
Registered
2003 Outback EJ253, auto
9 Posts
Fixed stuff, broke stuff in the process. Typical for me.

Swapped out the factory stereo for the Kenwood I had in my old car, which adds Bluetooth. It also has 2 USB ports (rated @ 1.5 amps/each) on the back of it, so I mounted my dashcam and plugged it into the back of the stereo for power (in my old car I had run the wire down the B pillar and plugged it into the rear power socket with a USB adapter - only downside is if I turn the stereo completely off, the dashcam shuts off). Put the mic on the map light console (which is close to where the factory mic would be for OnStar, if this car was optioned with it). Noticed that the FM reception is absolutely horrible with the Kenwood vs the factory radio, though the only radio station I really listen to is NPR anyway. Everything else is usually streaming.

Fixed the burned out clock backlight. Now part of the PRNDL tree doesn't light up (specifically, D). Confirmed it's not the switch, car drives and shifts fine. Stupid bulb is soldered in. If it was anything other than D I'd be more upset.

Smacked some of the trim pretty hard popping it back in place. Previously the windshield heater backlight didn't work; now none of the backlights on that panel work (switches do work, dash lighting everywhere else works fine). Luckily it looks like they can be replaced without pulling the switches apart, and I have some bulbs leftover from fixing the seat heater switches. At least the lighting on all 3 will be even...

So that concludes everything I wanted to do on the interior, except for speakers (and eventually installing the amp/sub from my old car). The stock speakers seem to be in pretty good shape (base 4 speaker system), they sound halfway decent with a real head unit pushing them. (and yes I'm well aware that my garage is a friggin mess, don't judge me)

edit: screw it... it took less than 5 minutes to replace all 3 bulbs (putting new bulbs into the original bulb holders). They're a little smaller, physically, than the original bulbs (the wire spacing is the same), and seem just a touch dimmer. But they all match.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Outback EJ253, auto
9 Posts
Pulled the dash back apart. Friend clued me in as to why the radio had such terrible reception - there's an antenna amplifier that's powered by the blue wire on an aftermarket harness. I assumed it was for an actual power antenna that some cars had back in the day, and didn't bother hooking it up. Hooked it up and oh hey, the radio actually works now!

·
Registered
2001 Outback 5 speed, 2000 Outback Automatic, 2002 Legacy Wagon Automatic. All 2.5L
268 Posts
I started what was supposed to be a routine timing belt change. Whoever last had the timing belt off did a poor job of putting things back together. The timing cover was not mounted properly & the crank pulley cut through it (behind the pulley so I did not notice it) leaving plastic shavings all through the timing belt path including between the timing belt & timing belt retainer (its a manual transmission). So much so that a visible groove was worn into the smooth side of the belt.

I ordered a new timing cover set including gaskets (the gaskets were missing and/or damaged). I'm glad I decided to do this maintenance before a planned trip from Northern Virginia to Indianapolis.

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
204 Posts
I took the headliner out of my '02 LLBean OBW (again) to fix the sunroof drain rail leak on the passenger side. The adhesive (Seal All) I used the first time on both passenger and driver side "junction boxes" failed, ugh. This time I used Auqa Seal and am confident it will not fail until long after the car is dead. While cleaning the drain tube inlets I noticed the passenger side tube doesn't drain as freely as the driver side tube. I used 40 psi compressed air to ensure both tubes were fully open. I am guessing the passenger side tube has a partial kink in it somewhere I cannot reach, so there isn't much more I can do. If there is heavy rain, then water may still come inside the car through the middle read seatbelt hole in the headliner, darn!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, not today, but yesterday I finished the job of replacing the head gaskets on the 2001 Outback H6. This was my first Subaru rebuild job, and it only took me about 4 weeks. I took my time, I had no reason to hurry. And about half that time (I swear) was running between the engine and the manual on my laptop in the study. And another part of the time, say, 5 or 6 days, was awaiting parts. But she went together well, and with only one issue. Seems I pinched an o-ring on the number 2 cyl fuel injector. So she started, but also spewed gas all over. After fixing that, she's running well, I think, and so far, anyway.

Next is brakes.
Mike
2001 LL Bean Outback

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC 5eat , 2'' lift
1,360 Posts
just other day found my LPG converter was leaking so changed it to new one. 150 euros. and now its fine again .
and how to make car sound better louder for cheap , just cut some holes in end part. and if you keep those cut metal you can allways plug that back , weld it and its good as new. previous owner did it , and i like sound for now. it sounds good if you not reaching too high revs, after some line sound becomes not cool , cheap kinda

and other day put 25mm wheel spacers. without lift its not working too wide. so next day removed those, now all back to normal and nothing is touching. with lift though those wheel spacers might come in hand again as wheels will go more inside when you doing lift.

p.s. why i moved to 2nd gen ??? if im talking about my 3rd gen outback here ?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,185 Posts
Put another set of used front seats in Mal. Original leather was way to damaged to keep, and the seat heaters and padding was dead in my replacement set. Easier to put in new seats that repair the old ones.

Also, gave the old man to my wife for the next bit while Sprout is down for repairs. She'd rather drive a car she knows than learn all the bells and whistles of the 2019 Nissan rental we have for the next 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
2002 OUTBACK LTD, AUTO, STOCK, SLAP HAPPY 2.5 SOHC.
6 Posts
scaleman.. why did you remove you lift? im thinking about to put a small 1.5" on my 02. were the cvs happy at 2inch?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
987 Posts
I put the wheels and nice micheline tires from my garaged 04 Bean on the 03 LL Bean, and I’m liking it.

gumout is halfway through the first tank and my injector seems to be settling down. All is well in subaru land right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,136 Posts
Leak at oil cooler adapter is getting worse, I have a new seal on the way, may tackle that before Spring.

I also got a coupla inner ties rods - Amazon , been price watching them for a while, under $20 each seemed like a good time to buy. That project and an axle swap can wait til Spring. Still need to fine the squeak-groan in the rear suspension....

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
489 Posts
Finally got around to getting new tires on my 2002 LL Bean. Purchased the Cooper Evolution Tours. The mechanic didn’t see anything that needed attention while he was under the car so hopefully things will continue to keep going well for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
204 Posts
Changed the passenger front axle on my daily driver, which is a 2002 OBW LLBean. I love it when the axle is NOT stuck in the hub. Makes this job soooo much more enjoyable.

While I was at it, I checked the front brake pads, and they are about 50%, so they can wait.

4201 - 4220 of 4228 Posts