Subaru Outback Forums banner

4281 - 4300 of 4303 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
533 Posts
So today had the ac system evacuated, got the car home, replaced the condenser, dryer and expansion valve. Flushed the hard lines and evaporator and replaced the gaskets all around. Still waiting on the flex lines from Subaru but went ahead and pulled a vacuum on the system and so far no loss in vacuum. Once the lines are in I’ll install those, verify no leaks again and have it recharged. Then hopefully ac will be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 H6 Outback Wagon "35th Anniversary Edition" w/o front bumper
341 Posts
Finally got my spark plugs and PCV valve replaced, right at about 151k miles.

Anyone now how often the PCV valve is supposed to be replaced? It didn't seem like it was stuck closed, the spring still rattled around, but it was pretty gunked up. I had been putting off replacing the PCV valve because I had heard you need a long extension bar to get to it from up-top, but I found that replacing it with a box wrench after taking out the windshield-wiper fluid reservoir was much easier. Hopefully I didn't over-torque it, but it was on there pretty tight to begin with so I figured I should put it back on pretty tight.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,412 Posts
you might consider cleaning it well, throw it in the toolbox, maybe swap it back in at 200K miles.

I don't think there is a service schedule for it, but as you noticed, they CAN get clogged or sticky.

·
Registered
2002 LLBean. ‘RustMonster6000’
68 Posts
Discovered my h6 ‘external HG coolant leak’ was actually an upper radiator hose leak that was staying cleverly out of sight, running down the timing cover out of sight and dripping off the block exactly where the MLSS gasket is. Soooo... ok fine. Now today I get 3 little surges at idle within 5 sec of startup and little hiccups while driving - omg what now heh. I’d remove the intake and check a bunch of things but I don’t have the confidence and too little experience (unless there’s a guide for that here somewhere).

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback 2.5l
6 Posts
Finished up a Baja Spring lift plus new struts and 1/2 inch rallitek strut spacers all around. Whiteline camber bushings in the back to get the alignment back in spec. Grabber AT2 215/70-r16 and 25mm hub spacers all around. Put the Hella Sharptones on last week as well as the foglight film. I'm aware that she's filthy lol she is getting a proper scrub tomorrow. Cheers!

IMG_20200603_190114.jpg

IMG_20200603_162908.jpg

IMG_20200603_190549.jpg

·
Registered
17,412 Posts
oil change, replaced the oil cooler gasket. It needs a front-rt axle, the one on there now is aftermarket and both its boots are split. I THINK I have a rebuilt OEM one for it. Might tackle that in the fall or some other future time depending on this Covid stuff. I am still working, considered essential.

did some work on the WRX to so, kinda beat.

Well, I thought oil was coming from both VC gaskets and the oil cooler gasket but, looks like the OC gasket fixed it all so, yay, good news at least.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
143 Posts
Finished up a Baja Spring lift plus new struts and 1/2 inch rallitek strut spacers all around. Whiteline camber bushings in the back to get the alignment back in spec. Grabber AT2 215/70-r16 and 25mm hub spacers all around. Put the Hella Sharptones on last week as well as the foglight film. I'm aware that she's filthy lol she is getting a proper scrub tomorrow. Cheers!
Perfect height! I might go with the Rallitek 1" pre-assembled struts and overload springs. What's your total height addition? And tire size?

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback 2.5l
6 Posts
Perfect height! I might go with the Rallitek 1" pre-assembled struts and overload springs. What's your total height addition? And tire size?
Sorry for the late reply!! My total height from ground to fender is 30.5 in the front and 31.25 in the rear. I neglected Thats after about a quarter inch of settling over 200 miles of driving\towing. The tires are Grabber AT2 215/70-16

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback 2.5l
6 Posts
I neglected to get a measurement before the modification but from eyeballing my photos it seems to be about 2.25 inches

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
533 Posts
Complete rebuild of the ac system done. Originally the plan was just the condenser, dryer expansion valve and flex hoses but after having Goodyear recharge the system I suspect they didn’t add oil. Right after the recharge, the compressor started a tapping sound and spreading debris through the system. After that all new components again including the compressor and evaporator it’s finally back and functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
27 Posts
I installed a new stereo. The original was some AM/FM/WB CD thing. It wasn't broke or anything but I wanted to use my phone for music.

·
Registered
17,412 Posts
don't toss your original HU, put it up in the classifieds. Someone may want it.

Scosche and iSimple, maybe others, make antenna adapters to receive blutooth.

·
Registered
2002 LLBean. ‘RustMonster6000’
68 Posts
Went ahead with the cooling system work. Replaced all 3 big hoses. The old ones were in sad shape. Wasn’t going to mess with the working thermostat but when I saw it I realized the seal/grommet was toast and the thermostat was corroded. Since it was 18 yrs old I decided to go get another one from the dealer (1hr ride one way ugh). Also tossed the rusty steel line to the oil cooler and put in rubber hose instead.

4281 - 4300 of 4303 Posts