Subaru Outback Forums banner

4301 - 4320 of 4354 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
44 Posts
PCV valve and oil changes... Motor and transmission filters also changed. Took a while to get the transmission filter off because it was too tight. Old oil filter was a Purolator which surprised me a bit in a good way. Not sure if I'm quite ready to replace the thermostat just yet. Engine seems to have smoothed out quite a bit though.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,079 Posts
I did a Xenon HID Conversion Kit installation on the 2004 L.L. Bean Subaru OBW:

·
Registered
2002 LLBean. ‘RustMonster6000’
75 Posts
Decided to try the CV axle boot replacement (inner) with no experience to bring to the job. The lower ball joint cotter pin had to be drilled out. That wasn’t fun. I ended up disconnecting everything except the tie rod and abs wire. While I was moving the hub around the whole axle came out of the differential oops. So I ended up just swinging the axle out and rebooting it on the car. I marked camber, axle orientation and inner bearing orientation all with a file. If I ended up one tooth off (left or right) in the differential splines or on the bearing splines I hope that’s not catastrophic. The circle clip on the inner ‘stub’ seemed quite loose and I hope it didn’t fall off upon reinsertion so it could destroy my differential at its leisure later but I don’t think it came off. So everything should be as it was but I’m nervous nonetheless. A test drive will come later...
I was amazed at the lack of wear on these 18yr old parts but anyway...

Not how this job should be done!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,475 Posts
I've seen a video of a reboot while on the car. Seemed awkward but should work.

·
Registered
2002 LLBean. ‘RustMonster6000’
75 Posts
Lol Well it’s actually an EZ30 and it’s long turned into a money pit but beats a car payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen a video of a reboot while on the car. Seemed awkward but should work.
Mostly. But I get a clup clup clup sound on low speed right turns now. The only thing I can think of is that I didn’t put the green cup back on the knuckle the same way it came off and the bearings aren’t in the ‘wear grooves’ that they were trained into over 18 years and aren’t happy. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,079 Posts
I saw this at junk yard. Poor Subaru. The suffering will soon be over..

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
44 Posts
Reconnected a hose. Probably came loose when I replaced the PCV valve. Hopefully it's for the EVAP system since I've been getting a p0457 since then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here, first post. Just pulled the motor out of 2003 Outback Wagon LE (168K.)
Made some mistakes like not lining up cams before removing the belt, as the tensioner was crooked & cross threaded, causing me to want to remove it.

I pulled the heads before removing engine because I don't have a lift, so I lowered it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
New here, first post. Just pulled the motor out of 2003 Outback Wagon LE (168K.)
Made some mistakes like not lining up cams before removing the belt, as the tensioner was crooked & cross threaded, causing me to want to remove it.

I pulled the heads before removing engine because I don't have a lift, so I lowered it.
You shouldn’t have a problem lining the camshafts up when you go to reassemble. From what I remember, the left bank has some spring tension at the timing mark and it may take a second pair of hands to hold it while lining up the rest of the belt.

was the block manageable after pulling the heads off?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Replaced the radiator last night due to a leak at the tank/fin interface. I drained the coolant system via the thermostat so I could get a decent engine flush as well.

After putting everything back together, I had a leak from the thermostat and figured I nicked the seal or something. So I went to the parts store and they pulled up the drawing when I realized... I had simply installed the seal and thermostat in the wrong order.

it doesn’t matter how simple the job is. There’s always a stupid way to mess it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bike_reck
"was the block manageable after pulling the heads off?"

Fairly so w/2x4 across engine bay & straps affixed to the top of case, however, someone put bolts instead studs on the lower bell housing that are trapped by the axle.

Once clearing the lower engine brackets with engine & trans raised a bit, it moved forward w/o too much difficulty,
Decided to remove the cross over water pipe thing, so I wouldn't break the ends off lowering it.

Show Full Signature
2002, EJ251, 5MT, 230k miles

·
Registered
17,475 Posts
they do have a fuse in the fuse box, but there is also a 'fusistor' built on the back of the power port itself.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback L.L. Bean and 2002 Subaru Legacy Outback Base
53 Posts
they do have a fuse in the fuse box, but there is also a 'fusistor' built on the back of the power port itself.
Is that "Fusistor" replaceable or do I need whole new socket? I really do think that is hat went.

And is it easy to get to? Is it something I can do? Car never been apart before and I dont want to break anything.

My mirrors work and i checked the fuse on left side all are fine.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
165 Posts
I gave mine a wash, polish, and wax. Had about 7000 bugs on it from driving a few thousand miles through the open west the last few weeks.

Unfortunately the orange cutting pad on the polisher doesn't quite get rid of even minor scratches. I might have to go with a heavier pad, but then I think about how I'm doing this to an 18 year old car that is parked under a tree every day...

·
Registered
17,475 Posts
good questions, I've never done it but if no one replies, maybe search youtube for a video?

pretty sure you need to replace the port so, interior trim tools or xtra care may be needed.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback L.L. Bean and 2002 Subaru Legacy Outback Base
53 Posts
good questions, I've never done it but if no one replies, maybe search youtube for a video?

pretty sure you need to replace the port so, interior trim tools or xtra care may be needed.
For sure.. looks like removal of three trim pieces. I really would rather they not come apart, but, it is what it is.

Only other question I have is.. Where is the power outlet "in the back?" If it is in fact there, I have an 02 L. L. Bean.. then that could work too.

4301 - 4320 of 4354 Posts