Subaru Outback Forums banner

4321 - 4340 of 4354 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
542 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, there’s also two screws holding the tray under the ashtray/lighter you have to take out. The two screws above the ashtray are kind of a pain to get to but not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Oh and when prying the bezel around the shifter, be gentle. There are two pins at the top where the shifter bezel meets the radio bezel that are easy to break off. Still able to reinstall if they do break but they just lift up.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback L.L. Bean and 2002 Subaru Legacy Outback Base
53 Posts
Josh, or Mr. Sparrow (Jack? lol..) You have the same exact car as me and you are a LIFESAVER!

Let me see if I find the courage. I did find the one alllll the way in the back, and that one works... I do want to upgrade radio, though. Looks like a weird size radio I need. . Double DIN?

I have always been afraid of removing trim pieces. Did take off shifter trim once, on a Volvo, to replace an illumination light. Minimal breakage.. I want NO breakage. Would you take it to someone "experienced in removing interior trim" (like a stereo installer) OR is it wicked easy, just be careful??? This car has never come apart.

And this cigarette lighter thing sounds... common.

Obviously, the voltage numbers illuminate in the socket that is right where the jack is. There ARE two.

·
Registered
542 Posts
No need for professionals, either use a small trim tool/ screwdriver to gently pull up on the trim closest to the cup holders. Once it’s free of the clips, assuming the pins haven’t been broken before they should slide back. Tested it on mine to make sure. Mines loose enough that I can actually just use my hand to pull it out but I have a broken pin from learning that lesson personally. Here’s a picture of the two screws I mentioned before and you can see the pin holes.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Oh and when taking the shifter bezel off throw the car in neutral or drive so you can actually remove the trim out of the way. Shifter gets in the way from pulling it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
^ This almost exactly like the V70 XC.. man you are a lifesaver.

I accidentally snapped one thing on the Volvo, but then again it was 4 degrees outside that night.. are they even somewhat "pliable?" I think I can do this!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
You can do it. No problem. Like I said just pry up to free it from the clips and then just slide it back till the pins are free. Hardest part of this whole process is the blind upside down screws that hold the bottom of the radio bezel in. Need a tiny ratchet screw driver/offset screwdriver or stubby to get to them. But more an aggravation than hard

·
Registered
53 Posts
Couldn’t tell you on that one

Ahh, okay. This one, I found the answer to.

And it worked. It is super easy..

Get in car, driver's seat (or just open door)
Hold unlock key on keyless remote for 2 seconds or more
It will turn off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My AC made kind of a groaning noise after I turned it off. Anything to be concerned about?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,475 Posts
Hmmmm....odd, any work done recently to the system? an overfilled system can make noise - sometimes reported as a 'hooting' sound.

or, maybe a blend door is dragging? try exercising recirc/fresh and other controls to duplicate the noise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
^ yeah, it sounded like that. Hopefully it was a one time thing. Not sure I've heard it since.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
44 Posts
I finally disabled the DRLs. Also found some exhaust system rattles and did some de-rattling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Filled it up 93 octane. It was on E, the light was on, and I was able to fit 13.9 gallons of fuel in there.

Is it easy to disable the DRLs.. ?

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
44 Posts
To my knowledge there isn't any side effects. No CEL and the lights work as they should.

4321 - 4340 of 4354 Posts