Subaru Outback Forums banner

4341 - 4354 of 4354 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I finally found the current title to the OB I purchased +2 weeks ago. Thought I purchased a stolen Subie. What an emotional rollercoaster this purchase has been but I cannot wait to drive this baby to trailheads.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 3.0
5 Posts
Last week new fount sway bar links and Gt legacy calipers with DBA 316mm slotted rotors and pads woohoo!! this week simple diff service dropped and replaced fluids centre and rear !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
seems my awd system is working, found out the hard way. 2002 H6 outback auto.
turning sharp left out of a car-park, sudden grinding noise from the passenger side sounded like a rock was scraping along the body.
then i lost drive.
pedal down a little, drive engaged, managed to limp home two blocks.
turns out was the passenger side driveshaft let go on the sharp turn.
as i pushed the pedal down little, the speed difference kicked the awd in so i could limp home.
I was prepared for the bad news and had begun making plans to get a work car for a while. The mechanic got it on the hoist and the passenger cv had destroyed itself. He got the part and had it back to me that afternoon.

·
Registered
2002 LLBean. ‘RustMonster6000’
75 Posts
Started making a crude press so I can do my own bushings and bearings on my H6. Got most of the outer frame done. Problem is I don’t know what diameter the ‘push pin’ or whatever you call it is supposed to be. Jack is a 20 ton.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback L.L. Bean and 2002 Subaru Legacy Outback Base
53 Posts
I put mine in FWD mode today. (02 L. L. Bean) I used a 10amp fuse.

Can I leave it like that "forever"?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,475 Posts
why are you doing this?

this comes up occasionally and it does seem that risk of problems with long-term use of the FWD fuse is low.

·
Registered
53 Posts
why are you doing this?

this comes up occasionally and it does seem that risk of problems with long-term use of the FWD fuse is low.
Doing this primarily for MPG, gas mileage gains. I took the roof rails off about a month ago (few weeks maybe) and I already notice a touch more mileage, have to thank this thread for that. (I labeled them Front and back.) I have a 90 mile each way commute so.. either I start using my twin car, the EJ25 (gets better mileage? than an H6? Even on the highway?) Or I make every MPG I can.. I set the cruise at 70 or 75MPH and yes my interior is empty.. tires 45psi..

It was a beast in the heavy rain but even FWD should be okay if I'm driving safely and like a sane person...

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback H6 VDC
40 Posts
Finished up a Baja Spring lift plus new struts and 1/2 inch rallitek strut spacers all around. Whiteline camber bushings in the back to get the alignment back in spec. Grabber AT2 215/70-r16 and 25mm hub spacers all around. Put the Hella Sharptones on last week as well as the foglight film. I'm aware that she's filthy lol she is getting a proper scrub tomorrow. Cheers!

View attachment 485335

View attachment 485336

View attachment 485337
I have the same setup, Baja springs with 1/2" spacers (although I didn't have to install camber bushings to get alignment within spec, weird. I wonder if it's because I have the H6 so it is heavier and therefore sits a little lower with the same springs). I've been wondering if 215/70/16 tires would fit so that's really cool that's what you're running! Are the hub spacers necessary to keep them from rubbing?

·
Registered
03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl
113 Posts
I put mine in FWD mode today. (02 L. L. Bean) I used a 10amp fuse.

Can I leave it like that "forever"?
assuming it's an Auto right. from what i found was the biased percentage from front to rear dropped off in every gear. basically in 4th gear it's mostly fwd till it detects something.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,961 Posts
Doing this primarily for MPG, gas mileage gains. I took the roof rails off about a month ago (few weeks maybe) and I already notice a touch more mileage, have to thank this thread for that. (I labeled them Front and back.) I have a 90 mile each way commute so.. either I start using my twin car, the EJ25 (gets better mileage? than an H6? Even on the highway?) Or I make every MPG I can.. I set the cruise at 70 or 75MPH and yes my interior is empty.. tires 45psi..

It was a beast in the heavy rain but even FWD should be okay if I'm driving safely and like a sane person...
I don't think you'll gain any MPG with the FWD fuse in.

I tested it back on my ecomodder days. You're still dragging all that running gear.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback H6 VDC
40 Posts
How important is it to run 93 octane in an H6?

I alternate tanks..
If you don't get knocking (which you probably won't) on 87, then you can run it just fine. The ECM will adjust to whatever octane you put into it, although you might get less power with 87 vs 93. But, alternating tanks between those two doesn't make much sense. The ECM takes some time to adjust to the octane its running on (I think I've read on here that it sometimes takes up to half a tank to optimize itself but I'm not sure how true that is) so if you're alternating tanks then once it gets used to one octane, you change it to another. I'd say just stick with one.

·
Registered
2 1997 outback wagons
172 Posts
First post in this section. I have not been here since My step son rolled the 1st gen I gave him a year and a half ago. Today I helped him buy a 2nd Gen. He is the proud owner of a 2004 35th anniversary 3.0l outback. Hopefully he takes better care of this one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just did a drain and fill on the auto trans. Checked and adjusted level.

What is the amount between the two dots to read it (in this case, transmission dipstick, driver side of engine rear?) Is it half a quart? Quarter quart? I don't think it is a full quart.. ?

Then there is supposedly a Gear Oil dipstick passenger side on an EZ30D..

4341 - 4354 of 4354 Posts