Subaru Outback Forums banner

4561 - 4580 of 4622 Posts

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,080 Posts
a 19 year-old tensioner could easily be weak.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback H6 VDC
75 Posts
a 19 year-old tensioner could easily be weak.
My thoughts exactly, but I wanted to find out if that is normal or not before I go replacing something. The tension indicator is still between the two lines.

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
I wil try to take a look under my hood but, pretty sure it doesnt move 180*. If you push on a long section with your thumb, is it 'easy' or 'difficult' to deflect 1/2 inch?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wil try to take a look under my hood but, pretty sure it doesnt move 180*. If you push on a long section with your thumb, is it 'easy' or 'difficult' to deflect 1/2 inch?
With the serpentine belt on it? I can’t move it with my thumb. I took a video of it here . It isn’t quite as obvious in the video as it is in real life but you can see it bouncing back and forth slightly. I had a ticking sound coming from (what sounded like) somewhere in the serpentine system last week so I’m wondering if those two things are related. Or, that amount of movement might be completely normal and I just haven’t noticed before now.

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
that amount of movement would not concern me at all.

yes, with the belt in place, engine off, how difficult is it to deflect a long section of the belt with your thumb? Just because the tenioner is running smootly, it may still not have enough tension. There is a device you can buy that more accurately quantufies the deflection force, it would be better than "shouldn't be easy, but if it's too tight, bearings are under too much stress" - that's all most of us ever had for guidance in the 'old days' of installing belts.

maybe one of these videos would be helpful; https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=testing+automatic+tensioner+subaru

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ah, I misunderstood. I was trying to deflect the tensioner haha. Ok, I can deflect the belt about half an inch with only moderate force. Belt was replaced last year, about 5k miles ago. I'm giving some of those videos a watch now.

Addendum: One of the videos said that the tensioner shouldn't move with a torque wrench set to 40lbs. Well, mine starts to move somewhere between 15-20lbs of force. This was on an Acura and there is no mention of the force needed to deflect the tensioner in the FSM, but I'd imagine this is pretty low. Looks like a new tensioner might be in my future.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback.. EJ20 swap. Base or L. 4S3BH665527xxxxxx
309 Posts
Cut my overflow tank hose to a 45 degree angle at the tip

Adjusted my oil level, getting out of my Royal Purple experiment.

20210326_075556.jpg
20210326_075609.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
Still debating about putting it in FWD mode for my upcoming 500 mile trip.
It won't do anything positive(won't hurt anything either, unless you get in a situation where you need the xtra traction) - unless you're doing it because you have mismatched tires, in which case you should already be in FWD. All the same frictional losses are in the system turning, and the car weighs the same.

There are threads of what people do before road trips, like, roll the front windows down and pinch those gussets together at the front to stop wind noise.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It won't do anything positive(won't hurt anything either, unless you get in a situation where you need the xtra traction) - unless you're doing it because you have mismatched tires, in which case you should already be in FWD. All the same frictional losses are in the system turning, and the car weighs the same.

There are threads of what people do before road trips, like, roll the front windows down and pinch those gussets together at the front to stop wind noise.
I keep thinking that the rear wheels are basically "in neutral" with everything connected and the system operating in "Not FWD" mode (regular?) I apologize if I am making this complicated.

I DID remove my cross bars.. but you are saying I WON'T see increased MPG with that fuse in?

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
yeah, leave it in AWD (no fuse in FWD slot), never read a single report of FWD fuse use leading to increased mileage in a decade+1/2 of reading about Subarus.

good idea taking the crossbars off.

when was the last time you checked the pressure in the spare tire?

·
Registered
309 Posts
yeah, leave it in AWD (no fuse in FWD slot), never read a single report of FWD fuse use leading to increased mileage in a decade+1/2 of reading about Subarus.

good idea taking the crossbars off.

when was the last time you checked the pressure in the spare tire?
Ahhh. Just reminded me. I have to take some weird miscellaneous **** from the P/O out of the carpet under the cargo. Someone put something back there yesterday (groceries. Normal) and somehow, someway, lifted up the carpet.. Saw some stuff that a cop COULD take for paraphernalia (paper, but, I digress) and have to get that out.

I should check that pressure.

I LIKE the car, its this super-muted "EJ Piston Slap" noise that really makes me pissed off. It may not even be that but I'm almost sure it is. It goes away 100% but from what I hear and read, this is just something these engines do.

Again.. starting to like the car, but I still feel like I'd sell for $1000 and get something better on has. Though the room has come in handy a few times.

I wonder what MPG I will see on the highway, going 500-600 miles on it Sunday so.. One full tank of gas used? Good to finally get it all out.... I never let mine get below 3/4.

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
sometimes, a weak timing belt tensioner can mimic rod knock, I suppose it could sound like piston slap too but, others would know better. There's a video on Youtube about the tensioner sounding like rod knock.

I have a 3.0 , I think the best mileag I ever got was around 26, usually it runs 24 - but highway speeds are quite high on our run from DFW to Colorado. Keep your speed down, drive smoothly, no jack-rabbit starts....you'll maybe get better than 26?

·
Registered
309 Posts
sometimes, a weak timing belt tensioner can mimic rod knock, I suppose it could sound like piston slap too but, others would know better. There's a video on Youtube about the tensioner sounding like rod knock.

I have a 3.0 , I think the best mileag I ever got was around 26, usually it runs 24 - but highway speeds are quite high on our run from DFW to Colorado. Keep your speed down, drive smoothly, no jack-rabbit starts....you'll maybe get better than 26?
My H6 had that noise too. Localized rattling at the front. That H6 cover was life. Loved it.

I have a ~40,000 miles EJ20 - Not EJ25 - JDM. Beat the snot out of it to beat P0420 (which is now gone with a spacer. Was seeing it with the spacer before I had to drive it like I was trying to break the car for about a week before it went away. Making sure fluids were able to handle it saved me, I believe) and from what I hear, it can handle abuse. I THINK it is Piston slap because it always goes away, and from what I hear EJ engines just do this. (I got the stronger engine I shouldn't have HG issues.) But it seems to do so less with oil level near minimum than max.. also, not overfilled ATF.

I can usually get it to do it, but it may not be what I'm hearing. Might be something loose on the engine, I know a failing pulley bearing sounded like rod knock/broken engine on my LTC or Lincoln Town Car as well.

I usually get 22-24, I cruise around 75MPH.

I also averaged about 26MPG on my H6 which led me to use FWD mode a lot, where I had thought I got 1-2 more MPG and was still thinking of it on my long trip this weekend...

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,322 Posts
Took the old man and hosed him off, even the retired beater needs a bath once in a while. No longer coated in pollen or tree sap. Oddly enough, he still looks filthy. Probably the failing clearcoat lol.

Also, swapped the internal LEDs from him into Zoe. Forgot to swap the HIR1 high beams into Zoe until I was already inside with the baby for the night. Tomorrow is a new starter if the rain will hold off.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
206 Posts
I need to do an oil change. Probably do that tomorrow. Thinking about running a little heavier than 5w-30. Like a 5w-40 or 10w-40.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I need to do an oil change. Probably do that tomorrow. Thinking about running a little heavier than 5w-30. Like a 5w-40 or 10w-40.
Funny you should mention this.. I threw one quart Mob 1 15W-50 into my oil mix (took a quart out. Easy with Fumoto valve) and my engine really is quieter, my paranoid self thinks "everything" is piston slap.

It is either gone or 90% gone off that alone.

·
Registered
'04 Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean in Seamist Green, '00 Legacy L in Timberline Green
24 Posts

Removed roof rack crossbars and installed a Sony xav-ax5500 in place of the broken cd changer and a flip up cover from a legacy in place of onstar and deleted the onstar devices and stuff

4561 - 4580 of 4622 Posts