Subaru Outback Forums banner

4581 - 4600 of 4622 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
206 Posts
Changed the oil. Mobil 1 5w-40 synthetic. While I had the hood up I noticed that my alternator bolt was loose. I've had this car since June and I never thought to check that.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,449 Posts
Changed the oil. Mobil 1 5w-40 synthetic. While I had the hood up I noticed that my alternator bolt was loose. I've had this car since June and I never thought to check that. View attachment 507159
Check your oil regular with the Mobil1 in it. The engine tends to use oil with Mobil1.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
206 Posts
Check your oil regular with the Mobil1 in it. The engine tends to use oil with Mobil1.
I do that already since it has a slight leak somewhere. Super slow leak. 1qt over 2000 miles maybe.

My old Corolla went 5k the first time with full synthetic without losing a drop. Now the last couple of years the thing has no leaks but oil disappears within 2k. Won't register on the dipstick sometimes.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback.. EJ20 swap. Base or L. 4S3BH665527xxxxxx
309 Posts
Hey.. tell me why I should take it out of FWD mode?

I drive many hundreds of miles on the highway, so...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just hit them with some 3000 grit sandpaper and WD40. They are drying now.

(Last week, did 600-800-1000-1500-2000)
20210327_175226.jpg
20210327_175030.jpg

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
587 Posts
Have had no problems with the brake fuse blowing for well over a month. Today drove 30 miles and had to stop and surprise, car wouldn’t shift, checked and it was a blown fuse.

Placed a new 20a fuse in and pop, again and pop. Finally got to where I could check and research real quick and saw where someone mentioned the trailer wire harness could be the problem. Unplugged it, pulled the bulbs to check the filaments and checked the gate wire harness and tried one more time.

So far so good, may just be a coincidence but hoping it doesn’t blow again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
574 Posts
Have had no problems with the brake fuse blowing for well over a month. Today drove 30 miles and had to stop and surprise, car wouldn’t shift, checked and it was a blown fuse.

Placed a new 20a fuse in and pop, again and pop. Finally got to where I could check and research real quick and saw where someone mentioned the trailer wire harness could be the problem. Unplugged it, pulled the bulbs to check the filaments and checked the gate wire harness and tried one more time.

So far so good, may just be a coincidence but hoping it doesn’t blow again.

I had a similar issue, but it turned out to be melted contracts in the sockets in the hatch. The contacts on the bulbs were melting and deformed also which caused a short

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had a similar issue, but it turned out to be melted contracts in the sockets in the hatch. The contacts on the bulbs were melting and deformed also which caused a short

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yeah on the way home the fuse blew again, once back in the garage I started really looking and the passenger brake bulbs contacts were flat and intermittently making a connection. Managed to get to the parts store before they closed and so far no more issues.

·
Registered
Two Gen 2 Outbax, Third on the way...maybe an '04 H6 Beanie OBW this week.
29 Posts
Rolled my two out of the garage for a quick intro. snap. Have shopped this week for another Gen 2. This time an H6 powered OB.
Checked out two...first one is a maybe, second one is a hard pass. Both were '04 H6 Beanies on the cheap, needing some TLC and emissions work, EVAP leak or O2 sensor. We'll see this week if this pic becomes a trio.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Put it back in AWD mode

Tried to get pine sap spots out.

I'm starting to think they etched...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Got new front tires.

Got AC to blow.. colder. (It wasnt that hot out today. Blowing cold with no noises is a win.)

Back in FWD mode.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just had to repair the Tonneau cover on the old girl. One of the plastic caps that the spring hooks to, sheared in half. Causing the spring to lose tension and it not to roll back up. Luckily the other end was the same piece so switched them and reassembled. May not hold and may not be perfect but saves me from spending $75-$180+.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
206 Posts
Drove up to Hildale, UT and somehow lost a bolt to the front driver side brake caliper bracket. It's the one closest to the ground that is lost. And the remaining bolt had backed out most of the way. Luckily the speed was only like 10mph. Was trying to check out Gooseberry Mesa which is a dirt road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whoa...scary stuff losing brake caliper bolts.

I'm up in SLC and go south frequently . We did Flagstaff area for a week not long back. Only got as far south as Sedona.

Went to Beaver Dam Conservation Area 3 times since Christmas. It's over near St. George...SW corner. Lots of cool real estate here in the Southwest!

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
206 Posts
I've gone to the Car Quest place and they didn't have anything that could replace the missing bolt. The nearest place with it is St George. I kinda can't make that drive without brakes. And I'm not waiting until tomorrow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How about some local Nuts?.....I mean nuts and bolts shops. lol.

Take off the other side bolt and have them match it. Buy 2 or 4.

STANDARD BOLT, NUT & SCREW CO.Mesa, Arizona
480-832-1552 x204
4245 E Palm StMesa, AZ 85215-1142

Copper State Bolt & Nut Co.
Call

4.917 Google reviews
Fastener supplier in Mesa, Arizona

Address: 923 E Impala Ave, Mesa, AZ 85204

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

Phone: (480) 926-2566

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
206 Posts
How about some local Nuts?.....I mean nuts and bolts shops. lol.

Take off the other side bolt and have them match it. Buy 2 or 4.

STANDARD BOLT, NUT & SCREW CO.Mesa, Arizona
View attachment 507769
480-832-1552 x204
4245 E Palm StMesa, AZ 85215-1142

Copper State Bolt & Nut Co.
Call

4.917 Google reviews
Fastener supplier in Mesa, Arizona

Address: 923 E Impala Ave, Mesa, AZ 85204

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

Phone: (480) 926-2566
If I was home I'd just go to the dealership in Chandler. Kinda stuck in Hildale until then. The car drives and stops but makes noises and extreme clunks when using brakes. I have been using the ebrake since last night.

4581 - 4600 of 4622 Posts