Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

4701 - 4720 of 4751 Posts

·
Registered
Three Gen 2 Outbax in the fleet. 2000 2.5, 2002 2.5, 2004 LL Bean H6
67 Posts
Well, I got 'er done. Had to call my engineer neighbor for an assist. He brought over a 1050 pounds of torque impact wrench. Spun that sucker off!

The rest was just follow the steps. Clean up the greasy mess, tighten everything. Test Drive!!

Little bit of smoke coming from the grease splotches. I filled the cup, the CV head squished out a glob or three.

No pics. Was too greasy to bother, Glad that's done. The PB Blaster soaked overnight to make it happen. Otherwise I expected to shear some bolts. Happy, happy!

·
Registered
'04 Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean in Seamist Green, '00 Legacy L in Timberline Green
57 Posts
Drove a lot today lol, also went to the post office to pick up my blitzen rims that finally came, can't wait to buy another set of tires in a few months!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine is finally on the road. Yay! Had some check engine light codes regarding one bad upstream O2 sensor. Replaced that and got a few bonus codes. So I did the 'smart' thing and disconnected the battery to 'clear' the codes .

Got a temporary permit tag to drive it while the emissions deal gets sorted.

In 5 miles the CEL came back on. At 60or so miles it went out. Took it to my mechanic for the E test. No pass. Boo!

Got a pair of Not Ready and two DTC Codes, P0050, P0154.

First thing today was check all the fuses = good!

Next, going to check some wiring and probably replace two more O2 sensors,

The mechanic said keep driving it a bit more.

Funny thing is...really not funny:.. I haven't driven it. Whaaaat?!?

One daughter got home from college and took the 02 Subie to her new summer job at a lake resort nearly 200 miles away. That car was the daily for my other daughter who is still living at home finishing her junior year at HS plus two local colleges, SLCC and BYU. Plus a part time job after school. She's put over a 150 miles on it to my maybe 20.grrrr! And she needs a car to drive...so she got my new fun ride....until I get plates on it and swap her the Chevy.

But it needs to be driven to cycle through the codes. It passed last years emissions and expired the first of May.

I think new sensors might be the ticket. One of the Not Ready fails was the Cat con. Not likely to be bad at 190K miles, but the downstream sensor.

Should be sorted in a week or so. Fingers crossed 🤞

·
Registered
Outback Wagon, 2004, H6 3.0
149 Posts
But it needs to be driven to cycle through the codes. It passed last years emissions and expired the first of May.
I think there is special drive pattern that gets your emission monitors ready. Drive 3 minutes at 50 MPH not touching brake pedal. Then let go of gas, decelerate to 20 MPH without touching brake pedal. Then accelerate to 50MPH again. Hold it steady at 50 MPH never touching brake pedal. Drive like this for 5 minutes. Then decelerate to 20 MPH again without touching brakes.
Understandably this pattern is best performed where there is little or no traffic and there is long stretch of the road with no traffic lights/stop signs. I usually do that on a highway at night.

I read your post and a little confused about your other daughter. She is junior high and at two colleges and part time job. How's that possible?

PS: my memory may be wrong on exactly 3 and 5 minutes intervals. About 95% confident.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, for the drive sequence. I'll try to find a road where I can do that tomorrow. Utah is often #1 Worst drivers in the US...trading back and forth with New Jersey drivers. Everyone here drives 20 over the posted limit. So 70mph on our main highway really means 90 mph to most.
I'm not from here and don't enjoy the traffic style. Lots of wrecks every day.

My kids were homeschooled until 7th grade and then attended a Charter School. The one recently home from college achieved a 4+1 year full ride scholarship to Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. She applied to 11Universities and was accepted into 9. Then she had music auditions in those schools and accepted the one that offered the best scholarship/funding =Vanderbilt @$65K per year for 4 years with Master's degree option. Easy decision.

The youngest one is taking online and in person classes at Salt Lake Community College and BYU on her off days from High School....like every other day. She is tall for 16 and doesn't share her age in college classes. She could pass for a freshman, I guess.

Not junior high....a Junior in High School. Next year is her Senior year which she might skip and continue in College instead.

I cleared my codes and will try for emissions testing again tomorrow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh and for fun....I tagged my hatch with spray paint art. Hopefully, no one thinks this is the real deal and steals my hatch or car. Lol.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback.. EJ20 swap. Base or L. 4S3BH665527xxxxxx
459 Posts
SeaFoamed it (heavily)
Adjusted the AC a little.

At least 60% humidity today so that should be great.

·
Registered
459 Posts
SeaFoamed it (heavily)

·
Registered
459 Posts
SeaFoamed it (heavily)

Sorry on duplicates, Internet is bad.

·
Registered
Outback Wagon, 2004, H6 3.0
149 Posts
Thanks, for the drive sequence. I'll try to find a road where I can do that tomorrow. Utah is often #1 Worst drivers in the US...trading back and forth with New Jersey drivers. Everyone here drives 20 over the posted limit. So 70mph on our main highway really means 90 mph to most.
I'm not from here and don't enjoy the traffic style. Lots of wrecks every day.

My kids were homeschooled until 7th grade and then attended a Charter School. The one recently home from college achieved a 4+1 year full ride scholarship to Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. She applied to 11Universities and was accepted into 9. Then she had music auditions in those schools and accepted the one that offered the best scholarship/funding =Vanderbilt @$65K per year for 4 years with Master's degree option. Easy decision.

The youngest one is taking online and in person classes at Salt Lake Community College and BYU on her off days from High School....like every other day. She is tall for 16 and doesn't share her age in college classes. She could pass for a freshman, I guess.

Not junior high....a Junior in High School. Next year is her Senior year which she might skip and continue in College instead.

I cleared my codes and will try for emissions testing again tomorrow.
Ok, I double checked, not 50MPH, but 55MPH. See attached screenshot.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
243 Posts
Got my tires balanced and rotated at Discount Tire. Much smoother on the freeway now. Big O Tires sucks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yesterday I installed a new PCV valve and charged the AC system. The PCV valve was straightforward but took some oomph to break the old one loose just like every other thing I've tried on this car.

Charging the AC took about an hour and two and a half cans of refrigerant. It was dead flat with nothing in it. I risked depressing the low pressure port valve and got a tiny pfft! Then checked the high pressure....same... nothing. So I replaced two o-rings on the compressor. And started the charging process. Near the end of each can I put them in a bowl of hot water to expedite the last bits of the contents. The clutch tripped a few times then kicked in and ran a good while during the latter end to get the system pressure up into the mid 30's. Summer here is hot but it's a dry heat...even at 100+F.
Drove it to the Savers thrift store for a break. Runs well. Looking forward to some summer desert adventures.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Plugs (first time I’ve ever done that myself) and four coats of wax, compound, cleaner, polish and sealant. …and put back in the unused 17 year old carpet floor mats. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, those electrodes look toasty! I hope it's purring like a kitten with new plugs. Probably need to change mine, too.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
243 Posts
Changed my spark plugs. Put in some NGK BKR6E-11.

·
Registered
2003 Outback 2.5
12 Posts
Replaced the driver side front brake caliper, slide pins and missing pad clips for both front brakes. No more rattling or stuck brakes. Might also change the passenger side slide pins some day, they sure had seen better days. Now that I've got both pad clips the pads feel pretty tight, I think I should try to file them a bit so they can move more freely. Also the passenger side piston wasn't all the way in, should it have been? Didn't have any tools to press it back in but at least everything fit together nonetheless. Bout two weeks until our trip to Lapland, at least 1500 miles, hoping everything will go smoothly.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
604 Posts
Changed the front and rear differential fluid that was long overdue. The front diff fluid was dark, but the magnet didn’t show any chunks of metal which I guess is good. Just a metallic paste deposit on the magnet, which I would assume is normal wear.

As for the rear, the fluid was old but not in terrible condition. But noticed some small bits on the magnet, not just the paste like the front. So that will need to be addresses eventually.

Trying to pinpoint or rule out anything that might save me from having to replace the transmission for what I fear is a failing transmission pump. Next is to drop the transmission pan to inspect the filter screen in case it’s possibly blocked with gunk and make sure I didn’t accidentally slightly dent the pan when I jacked it for the new mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Outback 2.5
12 Posts
Found out there's a way up to the top of a small ski center nearby, sure had some nice views. On the highway it threw up a P0420 once again. Gotta figure that out before inspection in September. I don't think it can be the cat as it's been changed 4 years/22k miles ago. Kinda hoping it's just a faulty O2 sensor. It only throws the code at highway speeds. What I've noticed it's usually on a longer trip and after I take break and continue on the highway when the code pops up again. Exhaust gasket was leaking when the head gasket job was done and I thought that was the reason but nope.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,217 Posts
I upgraded the springs on my 2004 L.L. Bean outback wagon, and I did a video on it.

4701 - 4720 of 4751 Posts