Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

4721 - 4740 of 4751 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback.. EJ20 swap. Base or L. 4S3BH665527xxxxxx
459 Posts
Drove it to the dealer today. Gonna buy those clips.

It might be almost fully bled, it is taking a LOT of "it goes down a little" after it sits with that cap off...

But if the temperature gauge Doesn't spike anymore Then I'm okay....

·
Registered
Three Gen 2 Outbax in the fleet. 2000 2.5, 2002 2.5, 2004 LL Bean H6
67 Posts
Nice Hat and Star Wars Tee shirt!

I had my mechanic do the deed of changing the spark plugs yesterday. I am super booked with two jobs right now and would've had to purchase extra tools and find a block of time I don't have this week or weekend to do it in.
One kid is flying to the East Coast to represent our family at an family beach trip with 45 other extended family members...and the next day our youngest is flying to Jordan ( the country ) for a few weeks of Humanitarian Aide to refugees with a group of others.

Put some new NGK's into the H6 ...she's purring nicely now!

My "Star Wars" tee shirt - Return of the Sockeye. It's an Alaskan Fishing thing. I've fished there every year for the last 22 years. But in this pic I'm in the North end of the The Last Chance Desert, Utah...hiking at 6500'ASL.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nice Hat and Star Wars Tee shirt!

I had my mechanic do the deed of changing the spark plugs yesterday. I am super booked with two jobs right now and would've had to purchase extra tools and find a block of time I don't have this week or weekend to do it in.
One kid is flying to the East Coast to represent our family at an family beach trip with 45 other extended family members...and the next day our youngest is flying to Jordan ( the country ) for a few weeks of Humanitarian Aide to refugees with a group of others.

Put some new NGK's into the H6 ...she's purring nicely now!

My "Star Wars" tee shirt - Return of the Sockeye. It's an Alaskan Fishing thing. I've fished there every year for the last 22 years. But in this pic I'm in the North end of the The Last Chance Desert, Utah...hiking at 6500'ASL. View attachment 513514
You must have enlarged the pic but I'll take a better one.. it is the Star Wars Periodic Table of Elements. :)

I have a set of NGK G-power that should fit. Think my Subaru will run better if my mechanic puts them in?

Is it really like a Porsche.. Engine comes out for everything, and that's easy to do ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice! I've seen a few other kinds of Periodic Table tee shirts...and yeah, Star Wars' backwards in the mirror is still easy to recognize.

The H6 engine is two more cylinders to hassle with. Those at the firewall. Takes tiny hands...or...drop the motor... or remove the battery, washer bottle, All the plastic stuff you see when you open the hood....oh and it's much easier if you remove the valve covers, too. So the mechanic did the deed for me and my wallet took one for the team. ouch!

·
Registered
67 Posts

Ray Troll is the artist whom I've known personally since 2001 and we sometimes trade - fossils from Utah for his tee shirts. I think I have a dozen or more including 2 of this particular one.

·
Registered
459 Posts
So, I am continuing to perform drivability tests with it and monitor the temp gauge. It seems to sit at "about half." Not sure if that is where it is supposed to correctly sit, (just above 1/3, just over the first mark? Mine still usually finds itself at just about half) but. It seemed to do well at this test. Car IS feeling great.

At the very very end of my test drive, 5 minutes before getting to my home, a Ford Lightning was driving past me with a nice exhaust note. So I dropped it in neutral and revved it to redline for about 3-5 seconds. The temp gauge bumped up ever so slightly when I did this, to perhaps "flat, 1/2 way." But that's the only thing that made me raise an eyebrow.

Is the temp gauge behavior I am describing normal? Today was about 80 degrees.

Oh, and I also introduced about 1/3 a can of SeaFoam at idle (after all this. Engine hot) to the little part above the intake, the tiny hose I take off (kind of where the throttle plate is) and poured it directly into there.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It is still sucking some down.. If I am able to consistently recreate this and it doesn't stop, i have a small leak.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It seems to have sucked down "kind of a lot" after being shut off hot and opening the cap (there was no pressure.) Seems nice and full now. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,337 Posts
unfortunately, I doubt that would qualify for the lifetime seatbelt warranty 2nd gens enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my first Outback today! 2002 2.5 Limited 5spd! No rust (which is so common for my area) only issues are no AC and the owner said he gutted the catalytic converter. So it’s nothing but smoke spewing. Any suggestions for a good replacement?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,337 Posts
on the a/c, likely bad o-rings, almost everyone has had the 2 on the compressor side of the suction and discharge hose go bad. Then, recharge by weight.

find a good a/c shop or soob mechanic near your city. In a new thread, ask for shop recommendation, someone may have a suggestion.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Still bleeding this thing.

It is still acting like my Corolla... but hey.

My AC is nice and cold.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
243 Posts
I replaced my battery. Was listening to the radio this morning before work and the sound started cutting out a little and I realized I'd heard that before... I went to start the car and it would turn over a little and stop. Would have been an easier battery replacement if I worked at a Walmart supercenter and not a Neighborhood Market.

4721 - 4740 of 4751 Posts