Subaru Outback Forums banner

5081 - 5100 of 5153 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yep, screw extractor is stuck fast, even to the attentions of an air hammer. So going to order new steering knuckles, wheel bearings, CV axle, front disc shield and probably tie rod ends (can't currently get the cotter pin out there).

What's the current best guess for reman or aftermarket new CV axles? I already have non-Subaru ones, so new ones won't make vibration when stopped any worse.
Finished this today, with new knuckles, wheel bearings (Timken) and reman axles. Went with Cardone 60-7355 remanufactured axles. The ones I got are NTN/OEM remans, and they have currently cured the vibration while stopped in drive that I was having before. Old axles were completely different to the OEM ones (see my thread for pics). It's much easier and faster when you know which bolts will come undone...

Also did an oil change and fitted an oil change valve.

·
Registered
54 Posts
replaced coil on #4 cylinder in a atempht to get lucky and get it back up and going again... wicked misfire, definetly can not pass cali smog

·
Registered
341 Posts
Found a few oil leaks.
One is the front diff where I changed the CV axle last week. The new oil seals didn't arrive until Monday after I did the job, so I didn't change them. I'll get the shop it's going to for an alignment to do that on Tuesday (asking them about the trailing arm bushes as well) as it's too **** hot to do it myself this weekend.
Second is dripping off the oil filter, but obviously the head gaskets. That's been stable for a year or more, and I don't have to top up oil between changes, but I'm thinking about a head gasket job later in the year.
Third is the power steering, from where the hoses go into the rack.

Not entirely sure that spending $5k on this car is sensible - the likely cost for the replacement parts I've already put on alignment and the headgasket job. But at the end, the only major wear items that I've not gone through will be the diffs and transmission, the rear CV axles, brakes, and rear wheel bearings, so it'd probably last 5 more years (gets about 5k miles a year) after that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Second is dripping off the oil filter, but obviously the head gaskets. That's been stable for a year or more, and I don't have to top up oil between changes, but I'm thinking about a head gasket job later in the year.
Are you sure it's the head and not the oil cooler gasket?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Are you sure it's the head and not the oil cooler gasket?
The seam between the heads and the block is wet on both sides, and the dealer diagnosed it as such nearly 4 years ago.

This is a 2.5 NA, SOHC, by the way. I can't find any mention of an oil cooler in the 2005 FSM (don't have a complete 2006 FSM), and googling suggests that it doesn't have one.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Bought a Thule Force XT L rooftop cargo box in anticipation of the trip from MD to NV, where I will give my daughter my 2008 LL Bean. We named her Onyx. The car not the kid, well 22 isn't a kid anymore. She can use the roof box to help her move around for her career as a ballerina because 1 year contracts are not unusual. Love the box. Quite and secure while driving. Great reviews. And after my Honda lease ends in a year I'll have an excuse to buy the new Subaru Onyx - obviously an homage to the "original" Onyx.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Whiteline Diff bushing inserts
I went with Prothane 16-1610 because it was about $10 cheaper and came with a brace insert. I still need to install the insert, but the whole diff needs to come out so I can swap it with a low mile used one I picked up, so I'll do it then.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Got an alignment, looks ok, although rear camber is marginal. It'll do for now though.

Also discovered that my rebuild CV axles are missing the inner baffle plate...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did some patchwork on the infamous Y of the exhaust. Had a hole there and didn't pass the inspection. Used gungum and muffler tape.
Inspector approved my work so I got the emission check done.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
That's the last piece of subaru pipe still hanging in on my car. Every thing that's been replaced is not even rusting. It's all 12 years old, but that subaru crap rusted off in pieces beginning year 1.5! The y-pipe is going soon. Either larger dia. single pipe (like the resonator replacement) or another y. I want single. We'll see what muffler dude says!

·
Registered
225 Posts
In the process of replacing my 05 ll bean at 211000 miles. Put a deposit on a 2009 2.5 limited with 119000 miles. She's very clean and they are offering to do the timing belt and head gaskets if necessary. Planning on harvesting the poly bushings I bought from @traildogck. Wondering if the 5eat trans mount insert will fit in the 4eat mount? The real question is whether or not to sell the LL Bean. Seems to me a parts car could be invaluable. What do you all think? BTW its been a while since ive been here. I've been driving a 95 volvo 850 5spd. while it has been fun, its not the same as the outback and definitely more expensive in some ways. All of a sudden its due for a timing belt water pump and that whole deal. Now the notorious PCV system is clogged. No bueno!!

Tyler

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Cleaned up Sprout today.
Meguiar's Gold Class car wash.
Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax.
Meguiar's Ultimate Black trim restorer.
Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel.
RainX windshield treatment.

Good enough for an afternoon. She really needs a date with a clay bar, some touch up paint, headlight polishing, and the interior detailed. Not enough free time. Can't remember the last time Mal got washed other than getting rained on. Should probably do something about that eventually.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Confirmed that the NTN stamped Cardone 60-7355 rebuild axles I just fitted vibrate a lot at 65-75 mph.

I've given up trying to save money and ordered new axles. Since I don't have any good cores, it's only $100 more a side than OEM rebuilds. They should last the life of the car with rebooting.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Confirmed that the NTN stamped Cardone 60-7355 rebuild axles I just fitted vibrate a lot at 65-75 mph.

I've given up trying to save money and ordered new axles. Since I don't have any good cores, it's only $100 more a side than OEM rebuilds. They should last the life of the car with rebooting.
Where are you sourcing them from? I found the best price on new OEM axles is from Discount Parts Monster

5081 - 5100 of 5153 Posts
About this Discussion
5.2K Replies
486 Participants
Evans609
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing