Subaru Outback Forums banner

5121 - 5140 of 5151 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Replaced my leaky front struts a few weeks ago. I think the left front spring is a bit out of alignment the spring seat. I hear it shift when I turn the wheel left. This happened when I replaced them on my '02 OBW 5-speed. Noise went away after I adjusted the spring. Hope that's the case here.

Also, some occasional metal-on-metal sounds when I come to a stop. Exhaust leak/noise that I never quite sealed up after an attempt get more room to install the new trans mount. Loud-ish at 50-55. I'm going on a 3-day vacation next month, and I'd like to address these issues before I leave so I have a worry-free drive.

Might pick up an '05 OB H6 sedan instead, not because I'm lazy, but I've always wanted an 6 cyl OB without the funky climate control (2nd gen). Already have a potential buyer for my current one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Reboot inner joints on two junk yard Axles. Not sure if they had been done before. The boots were intact and the grease looked good. But they had two different types of clamps. Install tomorrow along with poly sway bar bushings front and rear. End links up front. Poly lower control arm bushings and ball Joints.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Swapped the class 2 hitch from the 08 OBW to the 05 OBW. It said to remove the mufflers in the instructions, but I just lowered the rear section of exhaust with the mufflers and had plenty of room. I just had snake the hitch up and over the mufflers!

·
Premium Member
15,846 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
After two years of owning the car we just found there's a slot to store the retracted cargo cover !
And it just gets better - did you also happen to notice the shallow depression where the rear cover panel can be stored? You can see it in your image, just ahead of the retractable cover.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
And it just gets better - did you also happen to notice the shallow depression where the rear cover panel can be stored? You can see it in your image, just ahead of the retractable cover.
Too good. This new to us car had a bunch of stuff missing including the owners manual so it's a day of minor victories :) Working through the PDF now ...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Replaced the right front slide pins and boots, and both brake rotors.

This removed the vibration at 70mph I've had since doing the front suspension and CV axles. However, the right front caliper is sticking, so the new rotor was smoking lightly when I got back from the test drive. Guess that's next.

I also evicted a mouse from the chamber under the air filter box, inside the intake.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I hope you deliberately set the trip counter to achieve that.

How many laps around a parking lot to get it just right?

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Polished the headlights.

Boy, this is the first time I’ve posted since the forum switch. I can honestly say that I can’t stand the new layout and that’s why I haven’t been posting.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Had both front brake calipers and pads, rear pads and rotors and brake fluid replaced.

Could have done without having to pay for that, but we're driving on vacation on Saturday.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Had both front brake calipers and pads, rear pads and rotors and brake fluid replaced.

Could have done without having to pay for that, but we're driving on vacation on Saturday.
Confirmed tonight that this has fixed my vibrations at 70mph issue.

Obviously working on wheel bearings, CV axles etc. disturbed the brakes enough to put the caliper where it sticks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Replaced the rear suspension rear lower lateral links with Megan Racing links today. I had to use the Sawzall to remove the inner adjustable bolts, but I had planned for that and had new bolts. I replaced these in preparation for the 1" lift. Will get it aligned, drive it for a bit again, then install the lift. I wanted to just change one thing at a time for alignment purposes.

It actually all went quite smoothly. It only took about 2.5 hours.

I already had the rear front lower lateral links installed, along with the AVO sway bar brackets.

20190914_114858.jpg
20190914_114906.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought mine at auction ('05 Impreza Outback Sport 5 speed stick, 107K mi.). She is roadworthy but has not been well cared for and needs quite a bit of love. I plan to do most of the diagnosis and work myself. Since she is a 5-speed, I am really looking forward to improving her health and having fun on the roads. Today I polished the headlights but will need to get some oxidation on the insides too. Did a preliminary wash and wheel cleaning. I also ordered testing and diagnostic equipment. Making a list of to-dos.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, a lot of Outback Sports haven't been cared for, for whatever reason.

You sound experienced - how do you clear the oxidation on the inside of the headlamp lens, if I may ask? I've been afraid to mess with mine.

BTW - your new car is a "she"?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, a lot of Outback Sports haven't been cared for, for whatever reason.

You sound experienced - how do you clear the oxidation on the inside of the headlamp lens, if I may ask? I've been afraid to mess with mine.

BTW - your new car is a "she"?
Yes, she is a "she", as all my cars have been, except for two. :)
I'll use a technique to clean the inside of the lenses via a special handmade tool that can reach inside after the headlamp assemblies are taken off the car and the bulbs removed. I did this on another car with some success.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, very new to the forum but i own a 06 WRX wagon for several years.
Today what brought me here is i finally sold my volvo v70 and bought myself a replacement: 08 outback limited. Bought it off from the action with a pretty good price, one owner and religiously service at Subaru dealer only. But she is soooooo dirty, a good detailing hopefully will bring her back to bingbing stage lol.
Just finish to put a radiator and a timing belt kit in it. now i need to go to bed.
there is a long list of all JDM goodies are coming to my door. can't wait!
IMG_20190913_132904.jpg

5121 - 5140 of 5151 Posts
About this Discussion
5.2K Replies
485 Participants
fisherella
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing