Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 5311 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a thread for the other three generations, so why not for us 3rd Gen Owners? Maybe somebody can sticky this?

I'll start:

I replaced the cheap summer blades that came on my 2008 with Rain-X Latitudes. I've used Bosch's in the past and though they work great I wasn't impressed with their longevity. Time to see how the Rain-X's fare.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
There's a thread for the other three generations, so why not for us 3rd Gen Owners? Maybe somebody can sticky this?

I'll start:

I replaced the cheap summer blades that came on my 2008 with Rain-X Latitudes. I've used Bosch's in the past and though they work great I wasn't impressed with their longevity. Time to see how the Rain-X's fare.
I've been thoroughly disappointed with the Latitudes I have on my Outback. They completely fall apart randomly in the winter, has happened a few times. Especially for the price they charge, you'd think they'd be better quality. I will be most certainly going back to a set of Anco Contours when these wear out.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been thoroughly disappointed with the Latitudes I have on my Outback. They completely fall apart randomly in the winter, has happened a few times. Especially for the price they charge, you'd think they'd be better quality. I will be most certainly going back to a set of Anco Contours when these wear out.
That's disappointing to hear. The problem I would have with the Bosch's (Icons) is the blade itself would start peeling off of the arm. In the summer they were pretty good, but in the winter this would happen after just a few storms. Happened to two sets in a row.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,151 Posts
Stickied per OP request.

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT 5M KYB GR2, King Springs
40 Posts
Drove to Lake Minnetonka in Minnesota with my ice bike for the Lake Minnetonka Ice Bicycle races. I sucked and fell twice but it was fun. I finished but I am not sure where. I know I didn't finish last!

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Although it wasn't "today", I did try out FreeSSM yesterday afternoon on my '05 Sedan. Took me two tries to figure out how to get it to communicate but, once I was in, wow, this will be great for troubleshooting problems. I took some time to go through all of the Engine stuff. Today I'll hook it back up and go through the trans stuff.

I'm using the VAG cable as suggested in the FreeSSM post, along with an old Dell D600 laptop running Windows XP Home Edition.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered the factory subwoofer hoping to take some load off the door speakers to minimize the rattles. Also bought Weathertech floor liners for front and rear. The interior of this car is in pristine condition and I'd like to keep it that way. I think that with the light carpet, the floor liners are almost a necessity. Little expensive, but they're a million times better than normal "all weather" mats.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Look at PIAA wipers.. a little more expensive but may be worth it or maybe the new Michellin stealth.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the Bosch Icon on mine since august ,so through plenty of rain and the snow here which has been heavy at times but consistant, no problems yet. Also I had my windshield treated with Aquapel. Its far superior to rain-ex and lasts months and have found that with a few min with defroster on the ice melts or never really sticks ,in rain its like a clear sheet hardly use wipers. Its made my PPG and most glass shops should have it and can treat your windshield for you.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Since texas will have nice westher today im gonna wash it and cleanit good, oh can we wash the motor?i know when i use to dd my xj jeep it was sencitive to getting the censors wet. Wonder if my outback is the same?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look at PIAA wipers.. a little more expensive but may be worth it or maybe the new Michellin stealth.
I almost went with PIAAs this time around, but didn't want to wait for them to get here. The ones that came on mine were seriously terrible, but I didn't realize it until I got home from the dealer. I would have made them replace them, but driving an hour and a half each way for two free (likely not great) wipers isn't worth my time.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Maybe. I just know the Anco Contours are good because I had those on my '95 Grand Prix the entire time I owned it, never once gave me any problems. As far as I know, the person who owns the car now is still using the ones I put on. Anco just came out with another premium line blade, as well.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed the factory subwoofer (the wiring anyway, it isn't probably mounted under the seat yet...just sitting there). When it came and I saw it was a Panasonic unit, I wasn't so sure about it, but WOW does it make a difference. Well worth it!

Should have my Weathertech floor liners on Friday, which is good because it's nearly impossible to keep that white carpet clean without them!

Also had some kid in a Dodge Neon with tinted windows and an obnoxious exhaust try to get ahead of me from a light today...guess he didn't realize that I probably have about double the horsepower. I only stoop to their level when they challenge me. :D

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
I went to Pepboys and got a set of ProStop Premium Ceramic Brake Pads. I love them so far. Seems to stop just fine.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Warmed up today, only -6, so I gave her the first detail to get all the road grunge/salt and shipping film off, treat leather etc.. It was sad to see her so dirty!:28:

all better now, for a couple days anyways. Winter sucks!
Scoobie.jpeg

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5spd
198 Posts
blew the rear hatch support cylinders... :(

As the title indicates, I blew the rear hatch support cylinders. it was a little cold, went to get the snow brush out from the back, and... psshshshshs.
crap.
now it feels like I'm lifting a cow off the rear bumper.
Anyone know of any fixes to blown support cylinders without replacing?

1 - 20 of 5311 Posts