Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
963 Posts
Stitched up the heat shield below the center console between the exhaust and drive shaft aka the finger slicer . This has been rattling the past 3 years progressively gettin worse. Finally gave in and patched in sheet metal pieces using aluminum pull rivets. After he rivets were installed , I hammered them flat .

I also wrapped the front heat shield in the front, right next to the oil filter with a hose clamp to stop the rattling there too. Sounds much better now!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Here's the laundry list:

Replaced radiator hoses and hose clamps (constant torque hose clamps are really nice)

Rebuilt power steering pump: no more ATF fluid to clean up on top of engine. Side note, it's amazing what a $1 gasket failure can do to a closed hydraulic system. I am also wondering if the dirt around the inlet tube was helping to keep air from entering into the system...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
2006 Outback Limited AT

Replaced transmission fluid on Wednesday

Replaced front differential fluid today. (What is that smell? Its the differential fluid!!!!)

·
Registered
963 Posts
So far today...I have soaked my rear suspension goodies with PB and then wiped them down. I hope to get my alignment check today and I want to make sure everything is freed up. I do this about every 3-4 months anyway...Just to make sure everything is an easy remove...whenever I do work...

Which is practically...constantly anyway. I am not sure why I worry.
Beauty!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Cleaned the Engine compartment with some simple green. Need to work on it some more but it was full of dirt and grease thrown from both CV Axles and Transmission fluid from the power steering pump.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Excellent work. I love a clean engine bay...But I wont psot a pic...ya'all have seen enough yella-and-blu. But I like to mist Simple Green or the like every couple weeks. And I have a spray bottle with a water rinse. If you say up on it it says clean and it easy to see if anything pops up...leak wise, much easier when everything isn't one gross sticky mess.

@GoonersBlueWagon not to be a b*tch...but that brake fluid res is a bit dark. Maybe time to
flush the brake fluid and replace with fresh.
Agreed. Much nicer to work on now

Yup on the list of things to do.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Pick this up off the floor this morning. I'm in the process of swapping parts and the belly protector was removed. While I was under there, this guy was loose but didn't want to come out by hand. It looks like it fell off after I started and moved the car out of the garage

·
Registered
963 Posts
the List

Oil Change
Front Drivers Side Wheel Bearing
Power Steering Fluid and swapped out the O-ring from The PS fluid reservoir to the to the PS Pump.
4 Quart AT fluid change
Rear Differential
Alternator Accessory belt, Good thing i planned on doing the power steering fluid. This belt was chewed up. The AC belt looked better

·
Registered
963 Posts
Badges ? Yes I need my stinkin’ badges...

Also the paint on the PZEV logo wore away. I had some left over Atlantic Blue touchup paint and went to town

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sprout got a front brake job.

Rotors: Raybestos Rust Prevention Technology line.
Pads: Centric PosiQuiet ceramic.

Noted the rear bushing on the front control arms is getting fairly worn on both sides. Maybe 30K left in it? Pondering just getting a set of Mevotech arms to go in when it's new strut time, might as well throw on new endlinks then too. Both fronts struts are showing some leaking, but not badly. They're originals with 12 years/90,000 miles, so I doubt I have long left on them before handling/noise issues begin.

Looking at same. Note RockAuto has two types of aluminum LCAs. MevoTech and Ultra-Power. I need to check the hardware for corrosion

·
Registered
963 Posts
Didnt do anything today except inventory and dry fit. Gearing up to do at least the front suspension. 3rd Gen Struts all around. This stuff was ordered yesterday morning from RockAuto and i did not even do expedited shipping !

Contents in boxes

Front:
Struts KYB 339098 and KYB 339099
Mevotech LCAs CMS80181 and CMS80182
2x Moog K160313 strut mount (the ones on the car have rust on them)
McMaster carr M12x1.25 x 80 mm bolts and lug nuts

Rear:

2x struts KYB 341443
2X moog K90329

Awaiting delivery of FSB bushings and RSB backing plates from CKE SSP aka @traildogck

Not show Moog end links (front and back)
And Mevotech TTX ball joints. I am unsure if i want to install the ttx or use the ones in the LCAs. I am leaning to the TTXs though

·
Registered
963 Posts
Grabbed a steering knuckle from a pick and pull. There was a dude already there pulling stuff off a 2006 base model. I scoped the front and rear suspension and it must have been garage kept. There wasnt much rust.

I asked the dude what he was going after he said the rack. “Cool “ i said to myself. I went to grab my tools and 5 minutes later the guy had both struts and steering assembly off

But he wasnt go after the rack. He was unbolting the rest of the engine. I helped him pry the engine off the tranny. I thought to myself he kind of screwed up my treasure hunt by removing the struts from the strut tower. I would have been able to get the LCA off the knuckle easier if had something to pry against.

Anyways we got the engine off the pins . Those pins are long, the torque convertor came off with the engine. I helped him pull it away from the chassis for him to work on it

. I started in on the the front suspension assembly. The rack was a leaky mess. Did i want it and have a resealing project on my own or should i pull rack from somewhere else. Stay focused. The booty is the steering knuckles. With some effort i got the drivers side mostly undone. I didnt really want the LCA but i didnt want to spend time prying at the junkyard either . I the noticed the passnger side knuckle. Its out of the LCa BJ. Hmmm . I flipped the assembly at its cracked right by the Pinch bolt. FU!!!

I should also mention that the valve cover gaskets looked juicy while i helped my fellow scrapper hoist his booty onto the trolley. Supposedly there is a 2008 leggy in The yard. I might try to take another trip.

Oh well

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ball joint pinch bolt?

Yup.. I was worried that its been 11 years since it was touched that it would snap in the knuckle. Lots of liquid wrench, heat, freeze, and working the bolt back and forth until it the rust broke free. You can see some of the threads were chewed up and it was a little bent. Small victory. Tomorrow is the when the new LCA , TTX ball joints , front struts, end links, and SSP front sway bar bushings go in.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts