Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 3rd Gen Outback today?

1M views 8K replies 681 participants last post by  scalman 
#1 ·
There's a thread for the other three generations, so why not for us 3rd Gen Owners? Maybe somebody can sticky this?

I'll start:

I replaced the cheap summer blades that came on my 2008 with Rain-X Latitudes. I've used Bosch's in the past and though they work great I wasn't impressed with their longevity. Time to see how the Rain-X's fare.

#2 ·
I've been thoroughly disappointed with the Latitudes I have on my Outback. They completely fall apart randomly in the winter, has happened a few times. Especially for the price they charge, you'd think they'd be better quality. I will be most certainly going back to a set of Anco Contours when these wear out.

#3 ·
That's disappointing to hear. The problem I would have with the Bosch's (Icons) is the blade itself would start peeling off of the arm. In the summer they were pretty good, but in the winter this would happen after just a few storms. Happened to two sets in a row.

Reactions: Techdawgy
#4 ·
Stickied per OP request.

#7 ·
Although it wasn't "today", I did try out FreeSSM yesterday afternoon on my '05 Sedan. Took me two tries to figure out how to get it to communicate but, once I was in, wow, this will be great for troubleshooting problems. I took some time to go through all of the Engine stuff. Today I'll hook it back up and go through the trans stuff.

I'm using the VAG cable as suggested in the FreeSSM post, along with an old Dell D600 laptop running Windows XP Home Edition.

#8 ·
Ordered the factory subwoofer hoping to take some load off the door speakers to minimize the rattles. Also bought Weathertech floor liners for front and rear. The interior of this car is in pristine condition and I'd like to keep it that way. I think that with the light carpet, the floor liners are almost a necessity. Little expensive, but they're a million times better than normal "all weather" mats.

#6,367 ·
Nice! What sub did you get?? I've been thinking of upgrading to alpines in the front and rear but I haven't looked into subs yet.
I have been putting sound deadening in my doors and trunk though and it's kinda heavy but so nice.

How much are weathertechs?? I have the oem all weather mats and I definitely trash them lol

#10 ·
I have the Bosch Icon on mine since august ,so through plenty of rain and the snow here which has been heavy at times but consistant, no problems yet. Also I had my windshield treated with Aquapel. Its far superior to rain-ex and lasts months and have found that with a few min with defroster on the ice melts or never really sticks ,in rain its like a clear sheet hardly use wipers. Its made my PPG and most glass shops should have it and can treat your windshield for you.

#15 ·
Installed the factory subwoofer (the wiring anyway, it isn't probably mounted under the seat yet...just sitting there). When it came and I saw it was a Panasonic unit, I wasn't so sure about it, but WOW does it make a difference. Well worth it!

Should have my Weathertech floor liners on Friday, which is good because it's nearly impossible to keep that white carpet clean without them!

Also had some kid in a Dodge Neon with tinted windows and an obnoxious exhaust try to get ahead of me from a light today...guess he didn't realize that I probably have about double the horsepower. I only stoop to their level when they challenge me. :D

#20 ·
blew the rear hatch support cylinders... :(

As the title indicates, I blew the rear hatch support cylinders. it was a little cold, went to get the snow brush out from the back, and... psshshshshs.
crap.
now it feels like I'm lifting a cow off the rear bumper.
Anyone know of any fixes to blown support cylinders without replacing?

#21 ·
As the title indicates, I blew the rear hatch support cylinders. it was a little cold, went to get the snow brush out from the back, and... psshshshshs.
crap.
now it feels like I'm lifting a cow off the rear bumper.
Anyone know of any fixes to blown support cylinders without replacing?
Carry a broomstick to prop the hatch up, or a set of vise grips to clamp onto the lift supported to lock the hatch open.

I've never heard of a way to restore function once the seals are shot and pressure bled. I try to clean mine to minimize abrasions to the seals.

#24 ·
Changed my low beam headlights today. One blew out on Friday morning. Very easy, and fast. Only problem I ran into was that Autozone only has the high beam light listed on their chart, and online. They claim it's the only bulb needed (2005). But the low beam is an H7, which they claim doesn't fit a Subaru.

#25 · (Edited)
Replaced my interior lights with these leds. I had been testing the map lights out and finally decided to change the rest. I had to look up how to replace the dome light, it wasn't as easy as the rest to open.

Got an oil change at a dealer. But can't wait till the next one, I bought a Fumoto valve! Also, had an interesting discussion with the maintenance guy. He suggested that the main turbo issue is coking. I thought that wasn't the issue, that clogging the banjo screens was the problem. Or does coking create the gunk that causes the screens to be blocked?

Past additions:
Weathertech mats
Parrot mki9200 (display in the cubby above the radio)
Window tinting
New battery
Window vent shields

Upcoming: ordered K&N air filter (I've done my research, I know what I am getting myself into)
Will replace/add a "homemade" cabin air filter
60,000 service is coming up in the next few months

Looking into: sway bar upgrades
Checking banjo bolts or even screen removal
Adding a bluetooth OBDII dongle and mounting my phone next to the Parrot in the cubby

I bought a twin Ikea Florvag mattress for a short term solution. It's dimensions are 74 3/8 x 38 1/4" and my quick measurement in the back of the Sube is 69x41"ish. Once I stop needing the mattress for indoor use, it will become my dedicated camping in the back of the Outback pad. I might need to chop down the length a bit.

#26 ·
Grabbed some yellow tint and did my fog lights. Tint was only $3 shipped off ebay so if I don't like it, eh, was only $3. I think it looks badass but we'll see if it actually serves a purpose.

#33 · (Edited)
Have a 06 outback 2.5i 88k miles.
Getting all my supplies together for my 90k sevice.
Beside the usual items I'm also changing the plug wires and 2 drive belts.
I'm thinking of putting of the coolant change untill my 105k service.
I picked up a set of rear tail lights from a 08 outback and going to swap mine out. I like the look of the clear turn signals.

Past additions
weather tech floor mats front and rear .
tinted the windows
subaru subwoofer
hidden hitch
sirius radio install.
garmin nuvi install in cubby hole.
subaru hood deflector.
front lower bumper cover.
new rear struts KYB's

Present work.
Changed both drive belts with subaru oem
Replaced spark plugs NGK Platinum and plug wires with OEM wires.
Did the LED bulb swap on interior lights
Replaced the rear tail lights with 08 lights .

Future additions.
have rear sway bar links going to order front links. (the boots on my are all cracked and I get a knocking sound when slowly turning over bumps)
upgrade the rear sway bar.

Mike K from south jersey .

#34 ·
Got 26 mpg highway. :29:

On saturday I drove through half an inch of snow, felt cool to be able to accelerate. My crappy all season tires are crappy. I was making a left at a 4 way stop, nothing aggressive, I wasn't trying to pretend I had a rally wagon or anything, as I made the left and I was straightening out my rear continued to make a left and I ended up doing a 270 degree turn, luckily no other cars were on the road or that would've sucked. I attribute the slip to crappy tires, which have 80% tread left, and mostly to the body roll in the suspension. I am definitely looking to swap out the stock suspension with the bilsteins now.

#36 ·
Found out just how thin my patience with the cheap Mastercraft all seasons that came on my 2008 is. I have had this car for less than 1000 miles and just ordered a set of Geolandar A/T-S tires for it.