Subaru Outback Forums banner

5441 - 5460 of 5490 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback LL Bean 3.0 R
19 Posts
Replaced air filter

Cleaned MAF sensor

Cleaned throttle body and replaced gasket. Old gasket was in seemingly OK shape; throttle body facing the cabin looked OK as well but on the gasket side it was caked with gunk.

Could just be the placebo effect but the car definitely feels more responsive when accelerating from a stop.

·
Registered
'06 Outback 3.0R, '91 Justy, '93 Loyale, '15 Crosstrek, '04STi (RIP)
20 Posts
Changed oil in the Outback and Crosstrek yesterday as they were both due.
Not exciting on it's own, but being that it was -27*c with a 30km/hr wind and they were both done outside it made the job a bit more difficult. I really do like the engine oil filter being on top on the new models.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
439 Posts
Changed oil in the Outback and Crosstrek yesterday as they were both due.
Not exciting on it's own, but being that it was -27*c with a 30km/hr wind and they were both done outside it made the job a bit more difficult. I really do like the engine oil filter being on top on the new models.
So convenient, right? I love doing wife's forester, but then to have to lay on the ground to do my Outback, not so much. I mean, I gotta get under there any way, but yeah. It is nice not to have oil dump on my head when I get the filter off!

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
439 Posts
Very cool. Post pics or vids of the install! Is there an option of that with the dual zone climate?
Yes that is the kit for it. You can get it new off avojdm to allow auto dual zone climate control with an aftermarket stereo. Great writeups for it on lgt forums

·
Registered
2005 Legacy Wagon Limited 4EAT
150 Posts
That was easy. I used the included i88 pigtail and just soldered it in alongside the existing stock i88 connector. Would have finished tonight but I forgot I have to notch the dash support for the hazard switch. It’s late so I’ll bang it out in the morning.

·
Premium Member
1999 Legacy SUS Ltd, BGM && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
370 Posts
Decided to adjust the parking brake,using the little rubber "access holes" behind the hubs. Right side, A-OK. Left side, adjuster is frozen, I'll have to pull the caliper and disk to loosen and lubricate it.
Looked around under the car.
Saw that I am weeping coolant from both sides of the engine at the bottom of the head gasket 😰😰

So, fun. Read up on the H6 HG problems. Thankfully, I'm not overheating or even losing much coolant (just ran out of overflow reservoir, think I had about 12 fl oz in there about 3 months ago.
Bought Subaru antifreeze🤢, Subaru Magic Coolant Conditioner🧙‍♂️, and OEM thermostat💍, hopefully I can change coolant out and get a headstart with the Official rad-weld stuff.
Hoping to change the coolant tonight or tomorrow... because snow and low temperatures are finally coming back this weekend. 🥶

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
439 Posts
Decided to adjust the parking brake,using the little rubber "access holes" behind the hubs. Right side, A-OK. Left side, adjuster is frozen, I'll have to pull the caliper and disk to loosen and lubricate it.
Looked around under the car.
Saw that I am weeping coolant from both sides of the engine at the bottom of the head gasket 😰😰

So, fun. Read up on the H6 HG problems. Thankfully, I'm not overheating or even losing much coolant (just ran out of overflow reservoir, think I had about 12 fl oz in there about 3 months ago.
Bought Subaru antifreeze🤢, Subaru Magic Coolant Conditioner🧙‍♂️, and OEM thermostat💍, hopefully I can change coolant out and get a headstart with the Official rad-weld stuff.
Hoping to change the coolant tonight or tomorrow... because snow and low temperatures are finally coming back this weekend. 🥶
Mine has shown signs of weeping on rh side. But havnt lost any coolant in 40k miles/2 years

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD 5eat , 2'' lift
1,392 Posts
Trying to remember the makes of various cars I saw in Latvia - are those Russian made Ladas leading the way in front of you? How did they do in this kind of off road venue?
ohh no lol those all old foresters , i was going there with local forester club guys. so all foresters one impreza and one my outback.
but maybe that why they call old foresters just japanese lada niva. modified lada niva can be very capable , they can have lockers as well.

i could follow stock nivas no problem but modified lifted with mud tires no way i could follow them .

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Mine has shown signs of weeping on rh side. But havnt lost any coolant in 40k miles/2 years
That is reassuring to hear. Have you ever used the "coolant conditioner"?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
740 Posts
ohh no lol those all old foresters , i was going there with local forester club guys. so all foresters one impreza and one my outback.
but maybe that why they call old foresters just japanese lada niva. modified lada niva can be very capable , they can have lockers as well.

i could follow stock nivas no problem but modified lifted with mud tires no way i could follow them .
That is so ugly that I really like it!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Replaced coolant and thermostat (my first thermostat job, merit badge, please?!) At just under 32`F outside, for extra credit.
Gotta say the thermostat mounting isn't what I expected... you sort of jam it into the hole in the engine block, the gasket holds it in place? Then the hose head just sort of sits flat against it? I followed torque specs, and avoided the "faceful of coolant surprise" when popping the old one loose (long rubber gloves for the win).

Also got a spill-proof radiator funnel, and I can't imagine doing this without it. Good recommendation! Now, am I supposed to run it with funnel on just up to temperature, and then cool it off and cap the system? Or am I supposed to run until I don't see bubbles anymore?

After about 15 minutes, I still would see ~1 glub every 60-90 seconds; it's off and cooling right now, but if I need to I'll burp it again. Maybe tomorrow during lunch at work... tomorrow night's predicted low is 14`F!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
740 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5L, na, MT5, "Sue Bee"
46 Posts
What did I do with my Outback today? Last weekend I took a minute to go to the beach for a pic with Sue Bee. View is north-northwest from Sandy Hook Bay towards Staten Island. You can barely see the Verazzano Bridge in the distance.
I

'm looking for a car for a client. Today I'll head up to Somerset and Middlesex counties. Tuesday I went up to Paterson, NJ to look at a car, and it started raining then I got caught in north Jersey rush traffic coming home. Sue Bee did fine, kept up with traffic when it did go, and is nimble enough to avoid boneheaded people doing stupid stuff. I'm SO glad I got new tires, brakes and wipers done 2 months ago!
Yesterday we went to Cherry Hill and a couple other places along the way. Put in lots of nice, comfortable highway miles. Boy, are there are lot of rust buckets with collision damage in New Jersey!

·
Registered
99 (Violet), 01 (Rhonda), & 05 (Grace) 2.5 Outback Wagons
2 Posts
Wasn't today exactly, but took our new (to us) 05 Outback for a bath before the storm this weekend, and found out it has a rear end fuel leak >.<

5441 - 5460 of 5490 Posts