Subaru Outback Forums banner

5741 - 5760 of 5808 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sedan 3.0R LL Bea
14 Posts
On your drivers side strut tower in the engine compartment there should be a small aluminium plate riveted on with vehicle details (chassis number, etc) the paint code is usually a 2 or 3 digit code "39R" or something like that.
regards
Sorry it took a couple days. Im not on the forums daily and then I forgot.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
490 Posts
Extensive use of tire shine ate my plasti dip. So decided to un-dip the wheels and do a proper paint job incl. sanding all curb scratches.
un-dipping
View attachment 483858

hand sanding
View attachment 483859 View attachment 483860

hand hurts but beer helps
View attachment 483861

primed
View attachment 483862

applying paint & clear coat
View attachment 483863 View attachment 483865

shiny
View attachment 483866 View attachment 483867

I'm super happy with the end result.
Cheers
I did the lazy-man's scuff and cover in black bed liner. Prob'ly reapplied 2 times a year for the past 12 yrs. I like the flat black, but man! Yours look great. Maybe my next 'rona project!

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5l AT and LPG fueled
22 Posts
Curb rash can cause some pretty deep scratches; how did you manage to smooth them?
I just used 180 and 240 grit sandpaper - no wet sanding or anything fancy. Aluminium is actually a pretty soft metal and by sanding you can deal with 95% of the scratches (unless you have really deep canyons in your wheels). What's left of the scratches is filled by the primer. After priming I just used a dry sponge to smooth the surface prior to spray painting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I recently picked up my 05 XT and started doing some small things today.

I added a boost gauge in a single cubby pod.

I also added the IAG floor mat holder that replaces the broken tab that seems to be pretty common on these.

Now just waiting for the jdm double din unit to arrive from Japan to install my Alpine unit.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5XT MT
4 Posts
I pulled the summer wheels out for our new to us XT and they were garbage, good tires but the clear on the stock rims was really weird. I knew I wanted the classic looks of the subaru going into this so within hours I'd scored a nice set of enkei's off the buy and sell locally. I've been pouring over the suspension FAQ's and trying to figure out the right stance I want for some time. I'm sort of choking on the coilover prices but looking at the fender gap is helping open the wallet. Still not entirely convinced on the options I've seen, it seems silvers, BR? I hear bilstein as well, and some mention of KW but I don't see many/any offered. Anyways to the wheels:

From the great post that a fellow had recently about his outback xt it sounds like the stock suspension will settle down even more that this as it had been tire swapped twice within hours so maybe it's riding a bit higher than stock in the pictures? I'm not looking for slammed as this is a family daily, and we get 4 months of snow so ruts and alleys etc to deal with. I think I can go down like 5 inches and still be riding higher than our last family wagon which was a pretty low riding B5.5 passat.

I'm pretty thrilled about the wheels, $1100 cad for them, not cheap but probably close to 40% of new prices, with solid tires, lots of tread, and nearly mint rims.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,301 Posts
Today was the simple. Changed the oil on my folks 06 OBXT. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w30 and a Wix oil filter. Replaced a few broken plastic push pins underneath. It's due for the front and rear diffs to get new gear oil soon, but didn't have the extra time today.

Week or two ago Sprout got her spring bath/wax/detail. All Meguiar's, all the time! She shines like a...14 year old car that has been partially garage/carport kept.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy Wagon Limited 4EAT
199 Posts
Replaced front pads and rotors. Today I learned that base models and limited models use different sized rotors. I always thought it was only the GT/XT that had the 11.5" rotors but I was wrong. Mine are the bigger ones. That means the rotors I got from Rockauto for $17 each were the wrong ones and I had to go and then pay $50 each from Autozone for the correct ones. That really annoyed me for a bit.

Also rebooted the pass. side CV axle and replaced the axle seal. Got to try out the set of axle poppers I got from Amazon. They made removing them so effortless I'll never attempt to use a prybar again. $30 well spent.

Hopefully no more burning grease/gear oil smell!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
78 Posts
Today was the simple. Changed the oil on my folks 06 OBXT. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w30 and a Wix oil filter. Replaced a few broken plastic push pins underneath. It's due for the front and rear diffs to get new gear oil soon, but didn't have the extra time today.

Week or two ago Sprout got her spring bath/wax/detail. All Meguiar's, all the time! She shines like a...14 year old car that has been partially garage/carport kept.
Any particular plastic push pins you would recommend? I have a few missing on both 08 and 16. Attempted to use Ford’s before but I wasn’t quite happy with the fitment. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
36 Posts

From the great post that a fellow had recently about his outback xt it sounds like the stock suspension will settle down even more that this as it had been tire swapped twice within hours so maybe it's riding a bit higher than stock in the pictures? I'm not looking for slammed as this is a family daily, and we get 4 months of snow so ruts and alleys etc to deal with. I think I can go down like 5 inches and still be riding higher than our last family wagon which was a pretty low riding B5.5 passat.

I'm pretty thrilled about the wheels, $1100 cad for them, not cheap but probably close to 40% of new prices, with solid tires, lots of tread, and nearly mint rims.[/QUOTE]

Those look much smaller than the stock wheel/tire diameter. If you get the appropriate wheel size it will fill in the wheel gap (I could be wrong since it’s a little tough to see your wheels at that angle).

You’re welcome to see my vehicle in the link below, I describe what I went through to get my fitment or go to the legacy forums and find the lowered outback page. It’s super helpful!

My Humble Build: Christopher Setter's 2008 Subaru Outback on Wheelwell

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5XT MT
4 Posts
Those look much smaller than the stock wheel/tire diameter. If you get the appropriate wheel size it will fill in the wheel gap (I could be wrong since it’s a little tough to see your wheels at that angle).

You’re welcome to see my vehicle in the link below, I describe what I went through to get my fitment or go to the legacy forums and find the lowered outback page. It’s super helpful!

My Humble Build: Christopher Setter's 2008 Subaru Outback on Wheelwell
I agree and I thought so too I was worried about rub after seeing the sizes and your photos but they're miles from the fenders. They're 18x7's with some kumho 225/40s on them. I thought they would have filled it out a lot more. I'll move my questions to a more appropriate thread but thanks for pointing me the right way.

·
Registered
3rd Gen 3.0R LLBean
8 Posts
Added a lightbar to the basket:

Add-a-circuit fuse tap to the dash fuse panel with a switch and a SPST relay for power, ran the line down the driver side cabin tucked behind various panels out the back through the grommet for the taillight harness, up the tailgate and back forward to the bar--thought this route was cleaner/tidier than trying to come up the front windshield.Wired it with quick connects hidden in the tailgate for easy removal and transfer to another vehicle. Next project is wiring up the wife's Forester to be able move the whole rig with the light over to it.

Lightbar is a cheap 30" Nilight (Amazon) special. All told for the lightbar, mounts, wire, various electrical components, relay, switch was less than $200 and took about 3 hours to put together.

·
Registered
06 Sedan 3.0R LL Bea
14 Posts
Added a lightbar to the basket:

Add-a-circuit fuse tap to the dash fuse panel with a switch, ran the line down the driver side cabin tucked behind various panels out the back through the grommet for the taillight harness, up the tailgate and back forward to the bar.

Lightbar is a cheap Nilight amazon special. All told for the lightbar, mounts, wire, various electrical components, relay, switch was less than $200 and took about 3 hours to put together.
It looks great! I wish I could do some style of basket to my sedan.

Because im going to be adding some new lights myself, why not utilize the button blanks right above where you put the switch?

·
Registered
3rd Gen 3.0R LLBean
8 Posts
It looks great! I wish I could do some style of basket to my sedan.

Because im going to be adding some new lights myself, why not utilize the button blanks right above where you put the switch?
The backs would require trimming a lot of material. It's not flat on the back, there is a lattice work of plastic. It was just easier to drill a hole into the panel.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
13 Posts
To all the people who have sunroofs. This is the first car, I have with a sunroof. Do we push and hold the open button down while the window is moving. The same while closing the sunroof. Or do we push and release the button, NOT holding the button down while the sunroof is moving.

I need to replace the whole assembly, once it is replaced I want to make sure the new one does not break the same way the old one did.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,407 Posts
To all the people who have sunroofs. This is the first car, I have with a sunroof. Do we push and hold the open button down while the window is moving. The same while closing the sunroof. Or do we push and release the button, NOT holding the button down while the sunroof is moving.
Press and hold for the duration of the tilt-up / tilt down operation - but don't hold it at the end, the manual warns that this can damage it.

Press and release for both sliding parts of the travel (it stops halfway, so a second press is necessary). If you want it to stop somewhere in between the positions of full, halfway, or only tilt-up, give it a reverse "blip" in either direction of travel.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
78 Posts
@ecornell
1. "Subaru Outback Wagon XT for Life." - Same here. I love my 08XT! People think I am crazy for loving "obsolete" technology (manual transmission, no touch screen radio or navigation).
2. "Why do us sleeper wagon lovers always get ignored." - that is cool, I like sleeper, grocery getter status.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,301 Posts
Any particular plastic push pins you would recommend? I have a few missing on both 08 and 16. Attempted to use Ford’s before but I wasn’t quite happy with the fitment. Thanks.
Honestly, I just got a few bags of 100 packs on Amazon. They break so easy I'm all about them actually being there at all.

5741 - 5760 of 5808 Posts