Subaru Outback Forums banner

5881 - 5900 of 5942 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
580 Posts
Welcome. Now get ready for the projects! Looks like ya got the first one planned!

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,631 Posts
trying some diy wind deflector, later will try stell one maybe it will do more

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
731 Posts
Installed an interior hatch release so car camping is easier. Getting out of the side doors is kind of a pain! I can post a guide if anyone is interested, it’s fairly easy to do.
There is a DIY section on this forum. Its a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 OBXT
5 Posts
Tip: before every use, verify the hoses on your Motive Power Bleeder are not leaking. In my experience, they do not last long and twice now (on a Land Cruiser and my old Subaru) the hoses have sprayed brake fluid all over the engine bay from leaks. This is not from the cap over the reservoir, but at the brass junction fitting between the 2 hoses. Or maybe just replace the hoses.

I threw mine out, manual method works fine for as infrequently as I need to flush everything.
I've had a motive power bleeder for ~15 years and have had a few issues but worked around them and still use it a few times per year. Very useful for a one person bleed tool. I also tried the vacuum bleeder style but hate how you can never tell if you got all the air out.

Here are some tips to prevent leaks from my experience using the pressure bleeder:

1. Hook up bleeder to the reservoir and use a dab of brake fluid to lube the seal on the cap where it contacts the top of reservoir. The screw on caps tend to unscrew on their own if not tight enough or have any counter-clockwise twist in the tube. So try to limit any applied torsion to the tube going into the cap unless is clockwise.

2. Pressure test system before adding fluid to the pressure bleeder. I pressurize to 10psi, wait 5min, then check pressure. If it holds at 10psi, release pressure by unscrewing power bleeder tank, then add fluid and pressurize. If not, check connections and try again. This usually takes at least 1-2 times to get a good seal at the reservoir with the screw on adapters.

3. If using the universal adapter (w/ chain, j-hooks, wing nuts) on a reservoir w/o threads or you don't have the right threaded cap, be very careful and assume it will leak at any moment. Apply even chain tension on each side using the wing nuts. A 2nd person helps here to hold the cap level in place and apply some pressure to slightly deform the seal around the perimeter while the other person screws down the chain. This takes several attempts to get it to seal properly. Wrap the reservoir in rags/paper towels to catch any potential leaks or blowout. Pressure test a few times to make sure it holds! This is a PITA, but we have a Honda Fit that requires it.

4. Use teflon tape to help seal the brass fittings if it's leaking there.

5. Do not use high pressure >15psi. My brothers Audi B5 A4 blew the reservoir at the seam at ~15psi (might have been a defective unit?). So I only use 10psi and it's a bit slower, but still works. I can't remember what motive recommends for pressure but the reservoirs are not designed for high pressure so I'd rather be cautious than clean up a huge mess.

6. Flush bleeder tank and tubes with water after use and air dry or use compressed air if you have it. This will extend the life of the tubing. I replaced the tubing a few years ago after my brother didn't clean it out after a few uses and it had deteriorated and cracked. I also added some quick connect fittings for the 3 adapters I use and it makes cleaning easier and allows the tubing to rotate about the fitting so it doesn't get twisted during use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got a sweet deal on some new wheels and barely used tires on CL - 17" Drag DR-31 rims (40mm offset) + Continental Terrain Contact A/t (225/60R17). They fit fine, no rubbing and drive great. Stoked to get them off road soon for some remote campsite exploration.

In the process of replacing my hazy headlights and making a DIY mesh grille (silver trim was bubbled up and looking nasty, peeling it up and sending it down to paint black). Will post finished shots once I complete. Link to headlights

Up next: continue battle wagon transformation...
-Finish wire mesh grille with red subie enblem
-DIY vinyl wrap of bumpers and lower trim to matte black or dark gray, wrap silver paint with dark green or desert khaki color (might also wrap roof tent to match)
-Tint windows and light smoke tint to headlights
-Rebuild suspension with king springs + KYB struts to get a slight lift
-Design and fabricate custom pull out camp storage and kitchen in back
Dream - chop bumpers and make custom front and back steel bumper with swing out spare holder once funds settle...

Plan to run this car until it dies, currently at 175k, but new turbo and full timing belt change/service completed at 165k and she's running great.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
Up next: continue battle wagon transformation...
-Finish wire mesh grille with red subie enblem
-DIY vinyl wrap of bumpers and lower trim to matte black or dark gray, wrap silver paint with dark green or desert khaki color (might also wrap roof tent to match)
-Tint windows and light smoke tint to headlights
-Rebuild suspension with king springs + KYB struts to get a slight lift
-Design and fabricate custom pull out camp storage and kitchen in back
Dream - chop bumpers and make custom front and back steel bumper with swing out spare holder once funds settle...

Plan to run this car until it dies, currently at 175k, but new turbo and full timing belt change/service completed at 165k and she's running great.
Not sure if you would be interested or if you are totally into DYI (and if I am allowed to link FB marketplace). Guy is selling home made wire mesh for pre-face lift grills (so for sure not for 2008 and 2009, I am not sure about earlier years). Looks very nice I would say and given it is $30 shipped might be worth just saving time and getting it from him. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/290168715697819/

Your wheels look really good, congrats on a good deal.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Though pretty bad fuel usage on higher speeds 120-130km/h did couple 550km trips and car showed average just 13-14l . Thats high. And it cant keep up that speed on 5th gear allwayd switching to 4th and back and on up hills even to 3rd . Using 3rd to overtake at that high speed.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
Though pretty bad fuel usage on higher speeds 120-130km/h did couple 550km trips and car showed average just 13-14l . Thats high. And it cant keep up that speed on 5th gear allwayd switching to 4th and back and on up hills even to 3rd . Using 3rd to overtake at that high speed.
Ah, good old Baltic sea.....

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yup pretty nice just im looking where is less people and no baywatches around as officially i couldnt swim there in oficial beaches as it was red flag but if you go to other beach without baywatch no flags no problems you responsible for your actions.
I dont like to lay on sand and do nothing for me then walking on side beach maybe in water and go from point to point with casual swiming and i need waves too calm water just boring i can go to lake if i want calm water no wind no waves no fun.

I mean they put red flags for those? Why ? I guess its for kids . So i needed to find other place to have fun because i was with my mom too. I take mom to sea as well she likes sea, but then she like nooo its too dangerous... ok so no flags then ok ? Yes .. good . Haha

Here all people where like omg we not going i to water its not hot enough... so i drove to better place , those main citys for tourists sucks. As im driver i go where i want and all just come with me lol

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5l AT and LPG fueled
28 Posts
Though pretty bad fuel usage on higher speeds 120-130km/h did couple 550km trips and car showed average just 13-14l . Thats high.
I would say that's okay for a 3.0 engine running on LPG. My 2.5er uses 12l at 130 km/h.
But full throttle Autobahn trips create a vacuum in the LPG tank and consumption increases to >15l.o_O

5881 - 5900 of 5942 Posts