Subaru Outback Forums banner

5901 - 5920 of 5942 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback, 4EAT, 2.5L
13 Posts
Post pics of the skidplates if you can! And I've done all my struts but I know I need new bushings. I I have little squeaks and chirps that I know are just from worn out bushings. I have roughly 338,000 km (a little over 210,000 miles)

If you ever haul a lot of people/gear I would highly recommend rallitek overload springs in the rear. They really stiffen up the ride and give you just a little lift.
I'll keep that in mind for when I wreck these ones, thanks!
I've attached a couple of pics of the plates/covers, they've definitely been worth the money for me, as evidenced by all the marks and scratches. The rear diff cover especially has taken a fair beating. I think it was just the full set of three from Primitive racing, 3 or 4 years ago. Sump, transmission and rear diff.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Outback, 4EAT, 2.5L
13 Posts
I went a few hours north on the weekend, and found a lot of water and mud to go through. In the pictures is a weird white/chalky mud that didn't show up too well, but was impossible to see through from inside the car.

I also tested what happens when I remove my GX204KH radio and circuit board, and it seems I was one of the lucky ones whose A/C Controls are seperate. So I've bought a Double DIN fascia from Russia that's now in the post. So now time to work out what head unit I want, and what cabling I need.

Oh and I took apart and cleaned my air intake (pre filter) tonight, as I tend to get a bit of dirty water in there. A washable K&N filter is on my list too, as I go through a paper one each year. Photo of that attached too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
580 Posts
I went a few hours north on the weekend, and found a lot of water and mud to go through. In the pictures is a weird white/chalky mud that didn't show up too well, but was impossible to see through from inside the car.

I also tested what happens when I remove my GX204KH radio and circuit board, and it seems I was one of the lucky ones whose A/C Controls are seperate. So I've bought a Double DIN fascia from Russia that's now in the post. So now time to work out what head unit I want, and what cabling I need.

Oh and I took apart and cleaned my air intake (pre filter) tonight, as I tend to get a bit of dirty water in there. A washable K&N filter is on my list too, as I go through a paper one each year. Photo of that attached too.
I sealed off that bottom hole and removed the "muffler" attached below it, years ago!

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Completed my facelift with new headlights and DIY mesh grille. I sanded down and removed as much silver trim as I could then did a rattle can job. Not perfect but looks good at 10ft...

I think all that nasty stuff on my bumper came from when I tried to polish my old headlights, they looked good for about a month then got even worse, and the bumper started to look like **** too...

Before:
20200721_111614.jpg

After:
20200723_182258.jpg 20200723_182242.jpg

I've got some in progress pics and can do a quick write up if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
62 Posts
@lazybones That grill came out pretty good!

Today I lubed up the front brake pads and bled the front brakes, straightened out the bent up dust shields, and fixed my windshield washer fluid problem. Thankfully it was just a line that popped loose. Can't complain about a zip tie fix!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
So last summer I installed 20mm whiteline rear sway bar. This spring on a stock front sway bar I installed traildogck’s bushings and straps. Today I wrapped everything up - On RSB I removed bushings provided by whiteline and replaced them with bushings, straps and brackets from @traildogck. That was my project to make car handle better and I am very pleased with results so far. I am still waiting for steering lockdown device from Perrin. I truly hope it will make steering more responsive.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
So last summer I installed 20mm whiteline rear sway bar. This spring on a stock front sway bar I installed traildogck’s bushings and straps. Today I wrapped everything up - On RSB I removed bushings provided by whiteline and replaced them with bushings, straps and brackets from @traildogck. That was my project to make car handle better and I am very pleased with results so far. I am still waiting for steering lockdown device from Perrin. I truly hope it will make steering more responsive.
What is that steering thing supposed to do? How does it work?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
What is that steering thing supposed to do? How does it work?
so here is a discussion i started but it got off the topic pretty quickly. I believe idea is to create more solid connection on U-joint. Currently, I believe only STi has a solid connection while other Subarus have a bushing that flexes as you steer. Basically feedback from the FB group I have gotten is that " it adds a little more pep to quick manuvers," and "Definitely works. Little more connected feeling," as well as "Completely changes the driving experience." I also heard it gives you a bit go-cart feeling when it comes to steering and takes care of that dead space in center (when you turn steering bar very slightly and there is no response.

On Perrin's website - just scorll down a little they show flex before and after installing the device. Steering Dampener Lockdown

Marcin.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
so here is a discussion i started but it got off the topic pretty quickly. I believe idea is to create more solid connection on U-joint. Currently, I believe only STi has a solid connection while other Subarus have a bushing that flexes as you steer. Basically feedback from the FB group I have gotten is that " it adds a little more pep to quick manuvers," and "Definitely works. Little more connected feeling," as well as "Completely changes the driving experience." I also heard it gives you a bit go-cart feeling when it comes to steering and takes care of that dead space in center (when you turn steering bar very slightly and there is no response.

On Perrin's website - just scorll down a little they show flex before and after installing the device. Steering Dampener Lockdown

Marcin.
That makes so much sense. Don't know how many of your remember the "rag joints" old cars used to have. Actually they are still used I believe. But a solid connection would enhance feel for sure.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
37 Posts
How heavy is it? I was wondering what kind of camper (popup or tear-drop) I could drag behind mine.
It's under a ton, right?
This one is 1750lbs from factory and can handle an additional 700lbs, so we’ll within the 2700lbs the car can tow! Almost don’t notice it other than I can’t see behind the car lol, need to still get some tow mirrors

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
62 Posts
The lockdown does make a significant difference. I installed the knockoff version today. Very simple job and I'm pleased with the results. The steering input lag ( that I usually suspect is too much toe in on most vehicles) is gone. Glad I did it, and sounds like you will be too.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
49 Posts
Had the front drivers wheel hub replaced. Had been driving on it with a slowly increasing droning noise for around 9000 miles. Northeast winters are not kind to these parts...

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
62 Posts
Had the front drivers wheel hub replaced. Had been driving on it with a slowly increasing droning noise for around 9000 miles. Northeast winters are not kind to these parts...

View attachment 489425 View attachment 489426 View attachment 489427
I probably need to do this too... Getting a groaning sound in front when braking moderately. Most notably just before stopping. Pads, rotors and brake fluid are all fresh and can't find anything wrong with brakes. No feedback into the pedal either. My car spent some of its life in the NE, and the undercarriage does show it...

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,631 Posts
What if.. rims whould be black?
That just plastidip to see how it looks

Maybe matt color would be better not glossy

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I use bed liner. The rattle can stuff. Reapply every couple years.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
The lockdown does make a significant difference. I installed the knockoff version today. Very simple job and I'm pleased with the results. The steering input lag ( that I usually suspect is too much toe in on most vehicles) is gone. Glad I did it, and sounds like you will be too.
Knock-off version? Ya got a link?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
What if.. rims whould be black?
That just plastidip to see how it looks

Maybe matt color would be better not glossy
Not the best pic...

5901 - 5920 of 5942 Posts