Subaru Outback Forums banner

6141 - 6160 of 6161 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found a set of 2015 Crosstrek rims and winter tires on craigslist for 400 bucks the other day. Sure, it was a two-hour drive to go get them, But I was totally fine doing the drive in some gorgeous north-east fall weather. The tires are (almost) new Yokohama Iceguard 215/60R17, and they still had the new tire indicator on the tread. These fit perfectly, with zero rubbing on my stock (180,000 mile) suspension. Not usually a huge fan of black rims, but I love the look of this thing right now!

Next week is a complete suspension overhaul, so I wanted to do something quick and easy before tearing my hair out over some rusty bolts :)

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
846 Posts
Found a set of 2015 Crosstrek rims and winter tires on craigslist for 400 bucks the other day. Sure, it was a two-hour drive to go get them, But I was totally fine doing the drive in some gorgeous north-east fall weather. The tires are (almost) new Yokohama Iceguard 215/60R17, and they still had the new tire indicator on the tread. These fit perfectly, with zero rubbing on my stock (180,000 mile) suspension. Not usually a huge fan of black rims, but I love the look of this thing right now!
View attachment 497601

Next week is a complete suspension overhaul, so I wanted to do something quick and easy before tearing my hair out over some rusty bolts :)
Make friends with people that have a high torque impact gun and 1/2 breaker bars, and load up on kroil, PB Blaster, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,711 Posts
so made myself this .

just holes and bolts missing but its there , low enough so it wont cover rear view and still higher then bumper just at right height i think.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy wagon AWD and 5MT | 2005 Outback 5MT
9 Posts
Just picked up my 05 last week! Yesterday I replaced the middle rear seat belt, which had been strangely cut out by the previous owner. Nothing $30 at the junkyard couldn’t fix.
Today I’m going to install some generic mud flaps on the rear since it only came with the front ones and it looks odd to me without them. Also, tried out a bit of plastidip on the emblems just to see what it looked like:

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
61 Posts
Found a set of 2015 Crosstrek rims and winter tires on craigslist for 400 bucks the other day.
**** I'm so jealous, I've been looking for these rims for a while. I love the look. Does anyone know how these compare weight wise to the stock 2006 alloy rims? When I switch between my summer (stock) and winter (aftermarket) rims I feel like I notice the difference in weight in off the line performance. Maybe it's more noticeable because it's a stick.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
168 Posts
Picked 08OBXT up from a mechanic. 162,000 Miles and hopefully way more to come. The timing belt was done (first was at 64K since an engine was out anyway). Also all tensioners, pullies and a water pump replaced. Banjo bolts removed. Mysterious oil leak - I had no clue what was leaking fixed. It was an oil cooler seal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Removed seats and did a thorough clean of carpet and upholstery, **** that's a time-consuming job!

Finally killed the 2007 Japanese battery that has been in my vehicle since I bought it, and replaced it with a new battery.

Fitted roof racks to fit a hard shell rooftop tent tomorrow (report back soon).

Wired Aux connection from Japanese head unit through 12V cubby in the dash to allow music. Thinking of how to permanently wire a Bluetooth receiver to the aux cable behind the scenes.

Did a full oil change (H6 2008). Realised the shop sold me the wrong oil filter (sold me filter for a 2.5L 2008 Outback), so annoyingly reused the same filter. Any advice here, is it ok to run the same filter for another 10,000km or will need to be changed asap? Any way to change the filter with out draining all the oil?

·
Premium Member
2008 JDM Outback 3.0R, 5EAT
424 Posts
Wired Aux connection from Japanese head unit through 12V cubby in the dash to allow music. Thinking of how to permanently wire a Bluetooth receiver to the aux cable behind the scenes.
Grom BT3 has worked reliably for bluetooth music & calls on our JDM 2008MY 3.0R for several years.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
908 Posts
Removed seats and did a thorough clean of carpet and upholstery, **** that's a time-consuming job!

Finally killed the 2007 Japanese battery that has been in my vehicle since I bought it, and replaced it with a new battery.

Fitted roof racks to fit a hard shell rooftop tent tomorrow (report back soon).

Did a full oil change (H6 2008). Realised the shop sold me the wrong oil filter (sold me filter for a 2.5L 2008 Outback), so annoyingly reused the same filter. Any advice here, is it ok to run the same filter for another 10,000km or will need to be changed asap? Any way to change the filter with out draining all the oil?
There will only be the oil in the filter when pulled. Oil returns to the pan. So no need to drain the oil. Just top off whatever is lost.

·
Registered
'05 Outback XT Limited
62 Posts
Kenwood TM-D710GA amateur radio transceiver install into Gen3/2005. I had a tried & true 708 (original 'D700 without APRS) installed in my WRX, but damaged the unit running over control head cable when moving seat, so time for an update.
Pretty generic power installation; stranded 12 AWG wires, with fast-blow fuses, soldered high amp ring terminals, and PowerPoles. Connections and fuses are better environmentally sealed, and the wires are a bit better hidden/stashed now.

The electric seat motors kept me from installing the radio body underneath the driver's seat, as I did in the WRX. Since I don't have a lot of folks riding in the back seat, the back of the center console means that the speaker is pointed forward and it gets plenty of air flow for heat dissipation. Wires will be secured underneath/behind various sections of trim.

The mic mount is not an ideal compromise, but should work for me.

Not sure if I will keep the control head here, but it is a start. I had to rig it with the supplied mount and some heavy duty Velcro. The iBolt mount holds my smartphone or tablet for various needs.

Dual speakers will get mounted on the B-pillar trim for the dual band speaker setup like the WRX. I anticipate dropping the dome light and trying to install an NMO mount for antenna.

I volunteer for communications for mtn. bike races (Laurel Classic), ultra-marathons (EasternStates100), about a dozen rallies (ARA & NASA).
The 708 and 710 can cross band which can be a huge advantage. Additionally, when working outside the vehicle I move control head, mic, and external speaker to the roof onto some rubberized tool matting.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R
13 Posts
I've had my car for two weeks. So far I added WeatherTech mats to the front, plasti-dipped the rear badges black (still have to do the chrome bar above the license plate and the grill, I hate chrome), clay barred and ceramic coated the paint. Yesterday I added a Bluetooth adapter (keeping the factory head unit but changing the speakers soon). I took out the console and drilled a hole in the storage compartment to run the wires for the Bluetooth and a phone cord underneath so they weren't hanging out of the console (I also hate wires). Lots more to come!

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,711 Posts
car was giving only cold air inside, coolant warm no matter just cold inside. so changed coolant as it was time, and flushed heater core as well shich seemed that was clean nothing bad came from it so it wasnt clogged or anything, after that hot air become to blow on driver side only , in all modes same half car warm passenger side all coldish, but still its mixes and car becomes warm after while. thinking to check salon air filter as i never changed it yet. not sure what else do there, will read more info maybe figure out something else to keep passenger side to blow hot air as well.
car is 1 zone climate control, not dual.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R
13 Posts
Just picked up my 05 last week! Yesterday I replaced the middle rear seat belt, which had been strangely cut out by the previous owner. Nothing $30 at the junkyard couldn’t fix.
Today I’m going to install some generic mud flaps on the rear since it only came with the front ones and it looks odd to me without them. Also, tried out a bit of plastidip on the emblems just to see what it looked like: View attachment 497700
I just dipped all the chrome on mine, looks great!!

6141 - 6160 of 6161 Posts