Subaru Outback Forums banner

6201 - 6220 of 6258 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5XT MT
16 Posts
Sweet score on the tires.

I tackled the front suspension refresh I'd been setting up for. I managed to get all that I wanted except the tie rod ends, which wouldn't budge and seemed to be in good shape so one side done. New control arm, sway bar end links, sway bar bushing, and strut top bushing. Also replaced the hub assembly, as noisy front bearings were the impetus for the whole project.
Not fast but done. I'll tackle the other

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
96 Posts
I volunteered my car for a full tint for marketing purposes with my friend’s shop. I wasn’t excited to tint the windshield, but it actually makes the side tint seem less dark and it’s amazing for summer heat and I don’t need sunglasses anymore (I wear glasses so sunglasses are not an option anyways).

Plus I’m a photographer who travels with cases full of gear and park my car in the NYC streets, so it’s a small safety net.

35% windshield
15% front windows
5% rear windows and tailgate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
96 Posts
I just put on my winter tires... one of the valve stem caps were seized and took the pressure release valve with it.

The wheel shop immediately asked if I had a metal threaded cap... he said NEVER use those. He gets so many customers with broken valve stems.

Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Outback Limited 2.5i Pearl White Metallic
108 Posts
Got some new wheels! It's a 2009 Outback Limited 2.5i. Got it off an older lady who kept it in the garage. Car is pristine. It was just due for a timing belt and head gaskets. All that is done, and I installed these 2013 Subaru BRZ wheels. Look a LOT better than the old ones, and are the exact same size. 17x7 with a 48mm backspace. Love them with the white pearl metallic and factory window tint. Got them through Ebay. Were better than the description. Very happy with them!

In my opinion, these are the best looking factory wheels for these cars. They are the exact same size as what came on these Outbacks, so they fit perfect. I had 'watched' this set on Ebay and forgot about them. I was sent an offer of $310, which is super cheap for what they are. If anyone is interested here, I would recommend contacting him! See pics of them on my car above.

These Scion and the Subaru BRZ wheels are the exact same thing, except for the center caps. These are the Scion units. He also says they have been plasti-dipped, and it's starting to come off. I found ones with the Subaru centers, and bought those. Absolutely love them.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2006 Legacy Outback 2.5i Limited AT.
75 Posts
White River West Sno Park. Amazing day to be at Hood.

·
Registered
2007 2.5, prior 2005 base/2000 manual
62 Posts
Ordered Falken Wildpeaks (stock size) and a new round TPMS sensors as I noticed I'm getting the slow blinking TPMS light after driving for about 15 or so minutes... TireRack has then for good price, so I figured I'd just get all four and be done with it.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R
3 Posts
Recently bought a 2008 3.0R and it was missing the OEM roof rack crossbars. Bought cross bars from a gen 3 Outback I found at Pick n' Pull and got the roof box mounted!
Cannot hear or even notice the box up there while driving, which is a huge improvement over my old Legacy with aftermarket crossbars which whistled very loudly

Also swapped out the cabin air filter. Yikes

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,740 Posts
New tires! And no surprises here, I bought the same as before - Michelin Primacy MXM4 - because I liked the present set I've had for a while.

And in case anyone is wondering, these only have 41k miles, with easily 15k more tread life left. The reason they're being replaced now rather than around their rated 55k is twofold:
1. Construction projects in and around my neighborhood have left me with two tires that are slow leakers but unpatchable because of the 6" proximity rule. And they need attention 2X weekly to top them up.
2. I refuse to put that Fix-a-Flat gunk into the tires and possibly mess up the TPMS transmitters.

One change this time though - I went to Discount Tire and got their unlimited 3 year warranty with the new set, something I rarely buy. Since the construction continues almost nonstop and there's still a lot of junk on our roads, it seemed like a very good idea to do this - if I get an unpatchable leak, they'll replace the tire, no questions asked, and shave it as necessary.

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
I can't help but notice that your intercooler fins need straightening. On my Gen 3 I would try to straighten them but never found the perfect tool for doing it. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited
52 Posts
I can't help but notice that your intercooler fins need straightening. On my Gen 3 I would try to straighten them but never found the perfect tool for doing it. Any suggestions?
They actually make a tool to do it. Home Depot sells them to straighten the ones on home condensers. I am sure it would work. I am most likely going to replace it with a newer one from Subaru for a couple hundred bucks. Plus the new ones supposedly have metal end tanks.

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Also your old intercooler probably has a layer of oil vapor that coated the insides if it's 15 years old. Would be interesting to see photos of how clean or dirty it is if you replace it. Some people clean them by shaking gasoline inside then draining. Never did that myself though - I put in a Perrin TMIC fairly early in its life.

6201 - 6220 of 6258 Posts