Subaru Outback Forums banner

6221 - 6240 of 6258 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited
52 Posts
Also your old intercooler probably has a layer of oil vapor that coated the insides if it's 15 years old. Would be interesting to see photos of how clean or dirty it is if you replace it. Some people clean them by shaking gasoline inside then draining. Never did that myself though - I put in a Perrin TMIC fairly early in its life.
Cleaned it before I installed the turbo. It wasn’t too bad but I bought mine in boxes and the intercooler was off the car so no telling what it looked like. I like the Perrin and some of the aftermarket. If the Subaru has aluminum end tanks it will be Subaru for $320.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
191 Posts
Is “running out of milk” code for “I am taking this Subie out for a joy ride in this snow storm!!!” ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup :) Friends and family don't get it, they think I have a problem, my wife supports the idea but does not know why I want to do that, and Subaru friends (be it online or real) fully approve that behavior.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
342 Posts
Since the 2007 Outback is being replaced with a 2009 Legacy, we are doing a few things to it. Here is the second (with a peak of the first) ... we've installed Diode Dynamics SS3 Fog Light Kit and SS6 LED Bars on this vehicle. Here is the video my son did for the Fog Light Kit

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
342 Posts
Here are a couple images of the SS6 amber fogs installed ...

Attachments

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
67 Posts
Added some switches to the right of the steering wheel where there are blanks. The top one controls a lightbar, and the bottom two control the Android Auto setup I have. Overall reasonably happy with the look. If there's interest I can go into more detail on how I did this.

The left switch on the bottom cuts power to the Android Auto setup, and the right one switches between night and day mode:
Day Mode:

Night Mode:

I also learned what 2 years of northeast weather does to Hella Horns:

·
Registered
2008 Outback LL Bean 3.0 R
82 Posts
New KYB Strut-Plus assemblies on all four corners. Job went surprisingly smoothly but having an extra pair of hands was SUPER helpful. Car is much less 'splashy' now, will get it aligned this week hopefully.

One item of note for anyone who gets the Strut-Plus assemblies for the front - the OEM nuts for the top 'stems' underneath the hood are 12MM, but the new nuts KYB includes with the assemblies turned out to be 13MM.

·
Registered
2006 Outback H6, 2003 Forester X
6 Posts
Been slowly working on improving the 2006 H6 Outback I picked up last Spring, 208k miles and a newer engine in it. Hasn't burned a drop of oil in the first 5000 miles I put on it before doing an oil change. Fun getting to learn a new platform since I have mainly been rocking SG Foresters and GC/GD Impreza. Bought it for super cheap and it runs great! Was overheating on hills but I think I fixed that a couple weeks ago. Back flushed a lot of debris out of the heater core (passenger heat wasn't hot at all and door was moving). Installed a block heater while I had the coolant drained too since my SG Forester loves starting up with 90F coolant instead of 20F. Bleed the system with the front jacked up for over 24 hours and was surprised how much coolant it drank overnight after I burped it. No overheating so far and I ran it up a mountain pass in 3rd gear at 5000 RPM for 6 minutes with the AC on.

Installed a JDM double din headunit and dash cam mirror too while it was bleeding air. Found some cheap ($20 for both) brand new front quick struts and just bought some rear king springs.

Next project is swapping the rear struts and springs and adding window tint before next Summer.

Not sure how much I can add on here since most stuff has been done already. Plans are to mildly build it for extended camping with the ability to swap my roof top tent over when I don't want to take mine. Its my girlfriends daily but she's working from home so I'm driving it more than she does since it's got some horsepower and fun to drive haha.

·
Registered
JDM 2008 BP 9 Outback 2.5i Limited
135 Posts
Fitted STI quad tips this morning... because they're actually Legacy items, they sit well inboard of the Outback's deeper bumper, but they're nicely tucked out of harm's way in there. I didn't want anything noisy, and these are barely discernible from the OEM mufflers. Just a very slight bark on acceleration. If I were honest about it, it's mostly about the bling...

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,727 Posts
fun in the snow, used recovery points and my recovery kinetick rope , got pulled out once and pulled out other obk once too as soft sand under soft snow is not very good combination

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean 3.0
40 Posts
Picked up a JDM EZ30R to swap into my 05 soon. The original EZ30 has 217k and is leaking oil from multiple gaskets, has a bunch of rusting components including the coolant pipes and fuel lines, and has been pushing coolant to the expansion tank when driven with vigor - pretty sure the head gaskets are very slightly leaking. It still runs strong though and won't overheat if I just drive like a normal person.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,727 Posts
Hi lift jack winter edition pad modification, using same bolts that used to secure it on roof rack

and snow donuts

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2008 OBXT; 2007 Spec.B; 2003 WRX
93 Posts
6221 - 6240 of 6258 Posts