Subaru Outback Forums banner

6281 - 6300 of 6345 Posts

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,052 Posts
i hate even more when people dont keep distance especially when hard conditions, just leave space enough so you could stop , and its allways fault who rare ended you because meaning not enough distance.
How about those people that have their turn signals on for a mile before they turn? Or the one that just has to pull out on to the road and go directly to the left lane (right hand side of the road driving), then drive slow, and their turn isn't for another mile or more? Then there's the one, or more, that instead of right turn - right lane when it's clear is waiting for absolutely no traffic in any lane before pulling out only to take a wide turn and end up in the right lane anyway? Can you turn that steering wheel a bit more and get going already? :)

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,770 Posts
So for all that you need keeo distance, as someone said drive that way as if everyone else would be fools. It helps.

·
Premium Member
15,052 Posts
So for all that you need keeo distance, as someone said drive that way as if everyone else would be fools. It helps.
I get your point. Defense over offense.

I just go around them. 50 mph in a 70 mph zone is careless of people. If you're going to drive slow, get off the speedway and on to the feeder or city road. At minimum get to the right lane.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
testing snow and recovery ways, even some cheap plastic snow traps will work on some light situations as those, your wheels spin and they make ice under tires and then you go nowhere no matter what tires, so need to have something to put under tire to get that grip and then its free.

·
Premium Member
15,052 Posts
testing snow and recovery ways, even some cheap plastic snow traps will work on some light situations as those, your wheels spin and they make ice under tires and then you go nowhere no matter what tires, so need to have something to put under tire to get that grip and then its free.
How about Mud tires for snow? Studded? A bigger shovel. :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yh those snow tires are gone thats why i tested that and now i know. There is idea put mud tires and test same place on them.
As i have still prob with engine or gearbox when first i got stuck there my wheels wouldnt spin at all then front ones started spin whem i moved a bit rear ones started spin some too. But that only made things worse.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT manual
29 Posts
Finally got around to ordering the remanufactured 05 OBXT 5MT! Was $2600 with a 3 year warranty. Should be here in a week so Ill keep posted on how it goes...In the meanwhile-considering dropping some 16" wheels so I can get some beefier tires under there, anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT manual
29 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on a cylinder 4 cooling system like the one in the link below? Considering getting this before a stage 1 tune.

·
Registered
2008 OBXT; 2007 Spec.B; 2003 WRX
103 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on a cylinder 4 cooling system like the one in the link below? Considering getting this before a stage 1 tune.
It's on my short list. I can't think of any good reason not to do it, especially if you're going above and beyond stock.

I'll probably go for the GDT kit, they (Dom) are the original pioneers and developers of the idea, and they really, really know their stuff. On principle and the off chance that there might be some differences in competitors' orifice sizes/flow rates from the original.

·
Premium Member
2008 JDM Outback 3.0R, 5EAT
453 Posts
Barely worth mentioning but this has been bugging me for a while as I couldn't put the engine undercover back on. Cleaned up the bolts & holes with a tap & die kit for the front fixings of the engine undercover - M8 * 1.25 mm thread.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,953 Posts
Changed one of the four new tires that are barely a month old. It had met with something on the street, got the sidewall, not repairable. Fortunately, warranted unconditionally; one of the few times I've bought such a policy.
Barely worth mentioning but this has been bugging me for a while as I couldn't put the engine undercover back on. Cleaned up the bolts & holes with a tap & die kit for the front fixings of the engine undercover - M8 * 1.25 mm thread.
Well, now you got me thinking about it too - mine were a little gritty taking the undercover off the last time.

And yes, some of us 'mercuns do have metric tap and die kits.

Guess I have to do this now; it will bug me also. I detest freeing stuck fasteners.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
Changed one of the four new tires that are barely a month old. It had met with something on the street, got the sidewall, not repairable. Fortunately, warranted unconditionally; one of the few times I've bought such a policy.
I wonder if the self-seal type of tire will be available in more sizes? So far it's very limited:

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,953 Posts
I wonder if the self-seal type of tire will be available in more sizes?
If it adds unsprung weight to the wheel - and I know they sell a run flat version of the Primacy that does add weight - I'm really not interested.

Nothing beats a plug in a tire to permanently fix a leak, as long as it's done property.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
If it adds unsprung weight to the wheel - and I know they sell a run flat version of the Primacy that does add weight - I'm really not interested.

Nothing beats a plug in a tire to permanently fix a leak, as long as it's done property.
Good point!

·
Registered
Subaru Outback limited, 3.0R, 5 speed auto
16 Posts
i hate even more when people dont keep distance especially when hard conditions, just leave space enough so you could stop , and its allways fault who rare ended you because meaning not enough distance.

and now one bad boy coming from rear too fast not enough time or distance to stop... big problem
it was that we were getting an extremely heavy blizzard and the guy was stopped at a light and he was stuck because his tires were spinning in the snow and even though i was only going like 5 mph i slid like 50 feet and hit him

·
Registered
2005 OBXT manual
29 Posts
Putting new tranny in this week (5MT). Anyone have any opinions on whether I should do a front differential flush before the new tranny gets put in? From where my 5th gear crumbled, Ive been worried that metal shards may have gotten into the front diff. Was thinking about draining the old fluid and then draining again with some new fluid before filling the new transmission with Redline. Any advice helps! 05 OBXT

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i + 2007 Outback 2.5i
36 Posts
Scalman, seeing your photos really makes me miss driving in open snow. All I can do is enjoy un-plowed street parking spots in NYC :( It’s about the small things in life. Keep up those photo posts, I really enjoy seeing your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chrissetter what grille is that on your 2008? Looks nice!

6281 - 6300 of 6345 Posts