Subaru Outback Forums banner

6301 - 6320 of 6344 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
113 Posts
Thanks! It’s from C-Mod Grilles, but I think they went out of business. I saw what looks like to be the same thing on aliexpress but for $100 more!

Along with the original hood chrome trim, you have to give the grille a couple coats of paint and clearcoat and shape it a little with a heat gun to make it work. I also had to epoxy the Subaru badge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i + 2007 Outback 2.5i
36 Posts
Thanks! It’s from C-Mod Grilles, but I think they went out of business. I saw what looks like to be the same thing on aliexpress but for $100 more!

Along with the original hood chrome trim, you have to give the grille a couple coats of paint and clearcoat and shape it a little with a heat gun to make it work. I also had to epoxy the Subaru badge.

Looks sharp. Completely changes the look of an 08-09. I wish that there were some OEM grille options for either 05-07 or 08-09 Outback that were a plug n play that didn’t require any modifications. Either USDM or JDM. I thought about soda blasting the chrome off of an OEM and then having it professionally painted. I’m not a fan of plasti dip. Thanks for the pictures and info!

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i + 2007 Outback 2.5i
36 Posts
@SubaruTony ; I agree. Although I did use the 2 part clear coat that professionals use.

Take a look at the EU accessory catalog for Outback/Legacies, it’s unreal.

Grille #1 and #3 look pretty slick. The hood and the size/shape of the grille look very similar to the USDM 05-07. I wonder if it fits? I wonder if they can still be found?

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
951 Posts
Today I replaced my noisy HVAC fan. Good VS Bad fan
Lifetime of unit 267155 miles.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,770 Posts
some small stuff happened... on road and off... nothing much ...

so went back to small winter tires for now

front shock might be bent some. will change it later. for now all good, fixed it outside in yard on snow -15 celcious.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Reactions: SCReagan

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
is it normal that gearbox freezing ? or something freezing there so car cant drive until it gets warmer. it was some -15 celcious outside, started car, waited some 5min until cleaned snow, tried to drive it goes from place but doesnt gain speed it drives at speed 20km/h for some time, but how can i know that if i drive to main road and suddenly see that car not accelerating, thats bad. and when this cold gears switching with heavy punches , then when gets warmer gear changes become more fluid. but why its so bad in cold ? my previous car obk with 4eat never had any problems on any cold. or its not gearbox then ? but seems like it is. changed gearbox oil some time ago .

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,027 Posts
is it normal that gearbox freezing ? or something freezing there so car cant drive until it gets warmer. it was some -15 celcious outside, started car, waited some 5min until cleaned snow, tried to drive it goes from place but doesnt gain speed it drives at speed 20km/h for some time, but how can i know that if i drive to main road and suddenly see that car not accelerating, thats bad. and when this cold gears switching with heavy punches , then when gets warmer gear changes become more fluid. but why its so bad in cold ? my previous car obk with 4eat never had any problems on any cold. or its not gearbox then ? but seems like it is. changed gearbox oil some time ago .
You also don't have oem grade fluid, that can be partial blame possibly. Harsh shifts, usually only the first shifts I do get with mine when cold. Did you have your parking brake applied? It may have froze even if you released it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You also don't have oem grade fluid, that can be partial blame possibly. Harsh shifts, usually only the first shifts I do get with mine when cold. Did you have your parking brake applied? It may have froze even if you released it.
No i dont use parking brake. Tried first dont drive just go forward backward couple meters repeated that about 5 times then it started to drive . But thats not normal it shouldnt be. I mean car goes into gears it goes into 1 so why it doesnt raise revs. Maybe its fuel system problem .
Or throttle body .

·
Registered
232 Posts
Fixed exhaust leak.

2005 just replaced the engine with a JDM. All is going well but things were loud. Conditions were just right 12 degrees and cold start with wind blowing. Started to car to let it warm up and when I opened the door to go back inside saw the exhaust blowing by the door..
Bolt kit and gasket $24

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
06 LL Bean 3.0 R
16 Posts
Replaced the front main seal on my H6 before oil completely covered everything around the serpentine. (yay)

Discovered that the main wasn't the only source of oil on the garage floor. (boo) During cleanup I saw that BOTH timing covers are severely cracked at the bottom corner on the driver's side. If I'm replacing those, it would be silly to not replace the chain and tensioners while I'm at it. And the valve cover gaskets are leaking, and the rear main should probably be replaced since the front went out. And the ball joint boots are split. And the bushings on the transmission mount support are leaking. And whatever I else I haven't found yet. Dang, that's a lot of work and money... might be time to sell.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,027 Posts
Replaced the front main seal on my H6 before oil completely covered everything around the serpentine. (yay)

Discovered that the main wasn't the only source of oil on the garage floor. (boo) During cleanup I saw that BOTH timing covers are severely cracked at the bottom corner on the driver's side. If I'm replacing those, it would be silly to not replace the chain and tensioners while I'm at it. And the valve cover gaskets are leaking, and the rear main should probably be replaced since the front went out. And the ball joint boots are split. And the bushings on the transmission mount support are leaking. And whatever I else I haven't found yet. Dang, that's a lot of work and money... might be time to sell.
You could inspect the chains and tensioners, they will likely be good, the guides may be a bit worn. For the price of buying all new components (oem) you could easily get a low mileage jdm motor for about the same. Usually around $1200 shipped.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Replaced the upper lift gate piece (the big piece around the reverse lights). Mine cracked badly last week while i was working on sealing the light housings. It was amazing how brittle the plastic had got. I found a new OEM replacement on Amazon of all places. $130 shipped to my door. My local paint shop mixed me up a rattle can of my paint (color matched with their fancy camera). Went together nicely:)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Fixed broken wire on one of my tag lights. Broke flush with the bulb housing. Nothing to solder to. Ran a self tapping screw into the plastic housing as a cheap drill bit. Extended broken wire through hole and jammed it into the broken wire side of the bulb socket. The push in 168 bulb holds the wire secure. Dab of RTV on the tiny wire hole for good measure.

Reactions: scoopburt
6301 - 6320 of 6344 Posts