Subaru Outback Forums banner

6321 - 6340 of 6345 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I made my car look funny....
Original tires 225/60R16

Second hand snow tires 225/45R17

I had a set of 2011 Impreza Rims from my old car. My co worker had WS70s off his WRX he got rid of. Sold to be for $100. I did not realize they we 45... they look funny and small but cut thru the snow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Outback Limited 2.5i Pearl White Metallic
117 Posts
Came across a Jeep Cherokee stuck in the ditch. I had a strap, and tugged him out. He said, what kind of car is that??? :)

That tow loop under the rear bumper (probably just there for transport) comes in handy for such occasions!

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,770 Posts
So that front shock got bent there not control arm, so will need to change that

And that tube in front looks like saved my front or even radiator in that impact and that heavy tube got bent even

And will check valves gaps myself i think so i will know then do i need do valve adjustment. Those cyls 2 and 4 will be easier to get to them so i might do that myself. Full valve adjustment job is most expensive on those engine as they need to lift all engine out there so price goes from about 600 and up. But if that will be needed then i will do it sure, no other option there. Good thing romraider showed me whats where is wrong there.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,027 Posts
So that front shock got bent there not control arm, so will need to change that

And that tube in front looks like saved my front or even radiator in that impact and that heavy tube got bent even

And will check valves gaps myself i think so i will know then do i need do valve adjustment. Those cyls 2 and 4 will be easier to get to them so i might do that myself. Full valve adjustment job is most expensive on those engine as they need to lift all engine out there so price goes from about 600 and up. But if that will be needed then i will do it sure, no other option there. Good thing romraider showed me whats where is wrong there.
You could probably pull the engine yourself relatively easily to save some labor costs. Not sure on your country's imports, but it may even be more cost effective to get a jdm engine with low miles/kilometers.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You could probably pull the engine yourself relatively easily to save some labor costs. Not sure on your country's imports, but it may even be more cost effective to get a jdm engine with low miles/kilometers.
Well if engine is fine and just needs valve adjustment then its gonna be fine after , its normal for who drives on lpg you newd to adjust valves more often because lpg works on higher temp then petrol and ot makes valves more dry there too. Yes i could lift my engine myself well in good weather not winter cold and with more time not in couple days as i need car daily. And people who do subarus and specially those engines just know what they do so its worth i guess to pay money. Just first i need to check maybe couple things myself even outside even in this weather.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
199 Posts
Some of our magnificent cars have radio with SRS. I had my car since new and never knew what it is for. Well, push Audio button (SRS printed above it - circled in red), wait for a dot to appear (circled in green). Way better sound. I only learned about because someone mentioned it on one of the Facebook groups. Amount of responses indicating people had no clue about it lead me to posting the tip here.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,953 Posts
Some of our magnificent cars have radio with SRS.
What the .......

I didn't know of this either. And playing around with it, I note it's remembered after powerdown.

Dare I ask what the "RDM" button does that's overloaded on the "RPT" button? I daresay I can't read the manual, of course ......

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
why noone talked about it ? SH9 forester front struts is bolt on for our BP outbacks , at least for 3.0 / 2.0D models. and they are about 2-2.5cm higher struts so you get extra lift too

i put them in front on both sides with 5cm strut spacers so thats get you about 7cm lift .

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,953 Posts
Dare I ask what the "RDM" button does that's overloaded on the "RPT" button?
Random, I guess?
Good guess. Yeah if pressed it will make songs from CD or play list play in random order.
The Gen 5 and Gen 6 people probably have a genuine complaint about sometimes having to wade through multiple menus to get down to the simplest of tasks.

But look at what Subaru did when they hard-keyed the controls. It appears in this case that arranging six functions across four buttons, two of which involve using a hold-until-icon appears that overrides the base function listed, and with seemingly no logical ordering or logic to it, is a real disconnect.

Yes, I could read the manual, I guess. But for something this simple, it really ought to be discoverable without that.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback SE in Quartz Silver
25 Posts
Tried, unsuccessfully to figure out why my car smells like burning oil after driving through the slushy crud on the way back home from my daughter's day care. My car doesn't leak a drop of oil from anywhere (since I replaced the oil pressure sensor last year, that is), so I'm quite concerned...there was also an oil trail leading from, of all places, my tires - but I figure that can be chalked up to the oil that collected in the "diaper", as they call the plastic covers on either side of the bottom of the engine bay, and slush now melting inside said diapers bringing oil with it as it drips through the holes?!?.

Anyone have any experience with burning oil smell after driving in thick slush (no ice, nothing that could have punctured the oil pan, etc).

-Swede

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,931 Posts
check all you fluid levels and watch them if you are still dripping fluids.

a split CVJ boot will sling heavy oil/grease and if it gets on the exhaust (certainly common on older models) it stinks - worse smell than oil.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback SE in Quartz Silver
25 Posts
check all you fluid levels and watch them if you are still dripping fluids.

a split CVJ boot will sling heavy oil/grease and if it gets on the exhaust (certainly common on older models) it stinks - worse smell than oil.
Thank you!

I'll check that out, though I had them replaced only 5 years ago as part of my premature 100K "let's take care of as much as possible while the car is on the lift" service @88K miles, which was necessary because of a growling TO Bearing.

I'll check back in when I get back from my post dinner errands to see if thawing out the car in the garage made any difference.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,027 Posts
Tried, unsuccessfully to figure out why my car smells like burning oil after driving through the slushy crud on the way back home from my daughter's day care. My car doesn't leak a drop of oil from anywhere (since I replaced the oil pressure sensor last year, that is), so I'm quite concerned...there was also an oil trail leading from, of all places, my tires - but I figure that can be chalked up to the oil that collected in the "diaper", as they call the plastic covers on either side of the bottom of the engine bay, and slush now melting inside said diapers bringing oil with it as it drips through the holes?!?.

Anyone have any experience with burning oil smell after driving in thick slush (no ice, nothing that could have punctured the oil pan, etc).

-Swede
Everytime I drive up passes in the winter, I always smell burning oil. I always figured it was oil from other vehicles being washed up from the road, and whatever de icer/sand combo they use here in western wa. And this has been in multiple different vehicles. Including a hybrid that the engine barely turned on lol.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
113 Posts

-Swede
The oil burning smell in my car came from the grease leaking on to the exhaust from a torn hole in the CV boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6321 - 6340 of 6345 Posts