Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
6861 - 6880 of 6897 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback LL Bean 3.0 R
90 Posts
Oil change after 5k miles and replaced the two ground straps underneath the engine (the old ones weren't clearly disintegrated but they looked tired/brittle and I figured if I was going to be under there anyhow...)

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
322 Posts
... now I just have to find a place with a press that's willing to press the old ones out and the new ones in. The first two local shops I called said they don't have a press, they just replace the whole control arm. For the price of a new control arm I could buy a 12 ton harbor freight press myself!
They tend not to replace just the bushings because they may get in trouble removing the old bushings which could result in them having to tell the customer that they should just replace the entire arm, together with labor trying to get the old bushing out that goes wasted or else adds to the customer bill. Even with an easy bushing replacement job, the labor may come close to getting a new arm with new bushings pre installed. A shop here wanted $ 60 labor per bushing (I'm sure you can find a place that does it cheaper) for my (front) lower control arms (4x bushings = $ 240) so I indeed got a hf 20 ton press. You may have to add the price for a sleeve kit (~ $ 70 130) if you can't use sockets or whatever you have lying around to press the bushings in and out. I sprayed the bushing area with either wd40 or pb blaster twice over a period of 2 weeks before I started pressing the bushings out. Wasn't too difficult but will probably vary depending on your level of rust and other conditions.

Also noticed the bushings on my rear struts didn't look so hot, despite being only year-old KYB units. Anyone else seen this/know if it's bad?
Seems to be pulling the bushing a bit out. Curious if the other side shows the bushing being pulled in. Doesn't look great but it doesn't look that bad either. Mine are worn down (with over 90K miles) resulting in repeated clunking if the road is not smooth enough. I'll be replacing the entire strut.

Edit: Sleeve kit prices seem to have gone up significantly

·
Registered
58 Posts
glad its working better than stock for you..

generally, for me, if my suspension bottoms out, there are two fixes
1. go slower, or
2. reduce inflation so the wheel wont bounce so hard

the way I determined that gen3 front and gen2 rear was a mismatch, for me, was when going over speed bumps.. They make the difference in compliance and rebound really obvious. In any case, if you decide you want a more symmetrical suspension, you can just change the dampers on whichever end you prefer.
===

Ok @jon_slider, I'll eat my words. After this discussion I was very careful to feel how the car went over bumps and I think you are right. The damping mismatch between the front and back is probably bigger than I would like. However, I think I'll go with Gen2 struts in front to even it out.

The reality is that I'll probably just live with it how it is. It is so much better than the stock suspension that I took off, that I'll wait until it's time for new struts and just replace them all with gen 2 struts. I will probably change my mind and do something sooner if I do something silly like a lapping session or something like that.

In the original conversation where we talked about the suspension bottoming out, the stock rear suspension would bottom out when I would go over waves in the pavement on a highway, it didn't take anything to bottom it out. If there was a person in the backseat, it bottomed out all of the time. So yes, I had to go slower, but even then it would bottom out. Now that isn't an issue.

I will say, I had about 450 lbs in the back (very unusual circumstance) and I'm really glad I had the Gen 2 shocks in back. It was a wobbly mess, so with less damping it would have been worse.

You mentioned the speed bump test and in that circumstance, the damping mismatch is noticeable. I think it's also noticeable in long sweepers that have waves in the pavement. Any other time I think it's fine.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
1,181 Posts
I think I'll go with Gen2 struts in front to even it out.
Excellent option..
the Gen2 at both ends of the car makes for a nice tight, and balanced, rebound and damping rate.

Im not in any way against Gen2 for a sporty setup.. they are indeed stiffer than Gen3, and that is not a bad thing.. as long as both ends of the car use the same Gen.. be it 2 or 3, depending on personal ride preferences

enjoy!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
286 Posts
Oil change, installed Michelin X-ice on crosstrek wheels. Needed to get a new set as my 16 inch blizzaks on steelies won’t clear upgraded brakes. Here next to the car - we all seen crosstrek wheels on Gen 3 lots of times but since it is new to me I could not resist. I think they look good.
Wheel Tire Sky Car Automotive side marker light

I have my previous winter set for sale: For Sale - WI: Winter wheelset - blizzaks WS80 + 16 inch...

·
Registered
2008 OBXT; 2007 Spec.B; 2003 WRX
130 Posts
Replaced a failed MAP sensor. It failed in such a way that it was reporting maximum pressure/boost at all times. False P0244, limp mode, could barely start/idle. 22 PSI of boost with the car off was interesting to see on the AP... :) Went with the COBB flavor for the replacement.

·
Registered
'06 OBW, 2.5i, 4AT, Champagne Gold Opal (hate that colour!)
157 Posts

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
322 Posts
... installed Michelin X-ice on crosstrek wheels ...
Very nice setup.

Just in case; if the wheels in the picture are mounted at the corners shown in the picture, it would seem the rear wheel would have its (directional) tire treads pointing backwards. I'm sure it's just shown this way for the photo shoot and I'm just being a pedant.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Very nice setup.

Just in case; if the wheels in the picture are mounted at the corners shown in the picture, it would seem the rear wheel would have its (directional) tire treads pointing backwards. I'm sure it's just shown this way for the photo shoot and I'm just being a pedant.
Yup, just wanted to see how they look so just put 2 random wheels next to the car. When time comes I will make sure to follow a rolling direction arrow. Despite that I do admit- great eye for detail!

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,898 Posts
extra light in trunk allways help but what about put it outside so it could help you outside too . thats just cool

and then shorter rear cv axles from older impreza forester , with my older 2001 rear cv's so i used outside cv from 2001 and then axle is from some impreza legacy forester from older years as they shorter. shorter means when rear wheel drops down you still have space there until they compress fully. thats why you need to drop subframe in rear specially, or just find rear shorter axles. and they not even same shape anymore . still works

if someone dont understand why you might need shorter axles in rear just think what happens to your wheels as you put lift on struts... yes they go inside.\ and as they go inside they push on axles as wheels drops even more, to certain level where wheels drops down so much as its compress axle fully and then all kind problems began. my problems destroyed diff for me, so i needed to change diff. imagine wheels drops and it want to spin but that axle is pressed so hard that it cant spin even so its like asking for disasters. thats why people drop they subframe down. or in my case i just put shorter axles in rear. front is not prob even with 7cm lift .just problems on steering rack, again too much angles there.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
1,181 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5l AT and LPG fueled
60 Posts
Where Subarus dare...

Crossed the Alps on the way back from Italy and passed the iconic landmark of Hohenwerfen Castle - filming location of the 1968 WW2 action movie "Where Eales Dare" with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood.

Crossing the Alps
Cloud Sky Mountain Car Natural landscape

Hohenwerfen Castle
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Road surface

Cloud Sky Building Plant Highland

Rest & poop
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Cheers

·
Registered
2009 2.5 5sp MT
1 Posts
I recently bought an ‘09 and have been gradually making my way through some overdue maintenance.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle
I did the timing belt job a few weeks ago, and it wasn’t too bad - no surprises. Spark plugs - easier than expected, didn’t have to lift the engine at all.Over the last three days I decided to replace my lower control arms and shocks/struts while I replaced the cv axles. The ball joints were a cruel surprise. The first side I hammered on with a pipe for over an hour, 1AAuto made it look so easy.. I was finally able to jack up the brake knuckle, wedge an eastwing crowbar on its side and hammer some composite shims in, then drop the jack. Took about 6 times before it worked the ball joint out.
This didn’t work on the second side and I had to hammer a cold chisel in the gap with shims while lifted, then drop and repeat
Automotive tire Wood Fender Gas Automotive exterior

I’m thinking about putting a smear of grease in the pinch bolt gap whenever I’m under the car from now on to slow down that rust.
Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt Automotive wheel system

it rides great now though! No more clunking on bumps in the front end.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R LL Bean
183 Posts
Finally did a 6MT swap in my 3.0R Outback. Also upgraded to Kartboy front and rear bushings, Group N transmission mount and Kartboy pitch stopper.
Installed Mevotech front aluminum control arms and DBA rotors.
Car Vehicle Gear shift White Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R LL Bean
183 Posts
If anyone around the PNW is interested there is an event called Wagonfest on 10/10 at the Dirtfish rally school. Tickets available here https://www.avants.com/events/2021/10-10/wagonfest-2021

Also we are having a pre-meetup for BP owners that “Febreeze Me” set up on the LegacyGT forum.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Registered
286 Posts
Got my car back from my mechanic last night. Last week I had a throw out bearing finally fail. Bit embarrassing because I heard low grinding noise for weeks now so I should have acted sooner on it, but just never had a chance to call the guy. Lucky for me no damage. He replaced OEM one with Comp WRX/LGT Stage 2 clutch and got new a Clutch Fork kit from WRX installed. Definitely gets some getting used to.

cheers,
Marcinho.

6861 - 6880 of 6897 Posts