Subaru Outback Forums banner
6921 - 6940 of 6972 Posts

·
Registered
'06 OBW, 2.5i, 4AT, Champagne Gold Opal (hate that colour!)
167 Posts
Got my last oil change for the year, yesterday and my mechanic and I went over what needs to be done next year, when we do HG, as he'll have my car for 3 days or so.

So for 2022 (so far):

• HG (including machining the heads, of course)
  • Rear alignment bolts (so I can align my rear wheels lol)
  • CV Shaft on both fronts
  • Transmission servicing (flush/clean/whatever, new fluid)

Still have the bushings and links that he says (still lol) don't need to be done, so if that gets worse, then them as well.

So that'll probably be a $4,000.00+ bill (thank you Tax Return lol), but, God forbid anything catastrophic happens, that's the last major-cost servicing the car will need for at least 4 years.

Made me smile when he told an elderly lady that has a HG leak on her gen 4 (my car was on the hoist, when he showed her), that, "for a 16 year old car in the rust belt, the body is in pristine condition." :D

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
298 Posts
Not sure what else you had done so far. Timing belt/water pump and spark plugs might be something to look into since he will be working there anyway. Cost on those is mostly labor so why not do that right away (not mechanically skilled enough but I would imagine it all will be out for HG job anyway).

Rear Alignment - this is what people recommend for our cars - I think that should help:https://www.amazon.com/Whiteline-KTA124-Rear-Control-Assembly/dp/B0070I83AO

Cheers mate!
Marcin

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
940 Posts
Got my last oil change for the year, yesterday and my mechanic and I went over what needs to be done next year, when we do HG, as he'll have my car for 3 days or so.

So for 2022 (so far):

• HG (including machining the heads, of course)
  • CV Shaft on both fronts
  • Transmission servicing (flush/clean/whatever, new fluid)

Still have the bushings and links that he says (still lol) don't need to be done, so if that gets worse, then them as well.

So that'll probably be a $4,000.00+ bill (thank you Tax Return lol), but, God forbid anything catastrophic happens, that's the last major-cost servicing the car will need for at least 4 years.

Made me smile when he told an elderly lady that has a HG leak on her gen 4 (my car was on the hoist, when he showed her), that, "for a 16 year old car in the rust belt, the body is in pristine condition." :D
If he is pulling the motor, rear main sealz

Heads are off while doing the head gaskets, so get the cam shaft seals done too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not sure what else you had done so far. Timing belt/water pump and spark plugs might be something to look into since he will be working there anyway. Cost on those is mostly labor so why not do that right away (not mechanically skilled enough but I would imagine it all will be out for HG job anyway).

Rear Alignment - this is what people recommend for our cars - I think that should help:Amazon.com: Whiteline KTA124 Rear Control Arm Assembly, Black : Automotive

Cheers mate!
Marcin
Thanks for the Whiteline, Marcin! Not sure if I need the whole rear to be done yet (it looks good, bushings are in good shape still, etc.), but the two bolts you can see in the middle, are rusted tight lol, so he'll probably need to heat it up or something to get it out.

It's these guys:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Think mine are a bit more-rusted lol (this isn't a pic of my car) but when I went for an alignment last year, they couldn't do the rears.

As for the TB, it and the water pump were done when I got the car, 65,000 km (not miles!) ago, so I have a good 100,000+ kms (60-65,000 miles or so) to go before I need to get it replaced again, from what I've read.

I also bought spark plugs this year for him to do, but oil was getting into the plugs (caused a misfire earlier this year), which was part of the decision to do HG next year. I thought that was part and parcel to doing the HG, so I didn't mention it ;)

But yes, thanks, Marcin! Maybe everything will rust-enough so that I can get the Whiteline ;) lol

If he is pulling the motor, rear main sealz

Heads are off while doing the head gaskets, so get the cam shaft seals done too

Thanks for that! I will remind him :)

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
298 Posts
@Truck_1_0_1_ - from what I read best way it is to cut them bolts off since it is nothing but rust :( I threw a towel in and did not even attempt it as I just got done with brake lines repairs so had enough of tinkering and took it to my mechanic :) Amazon turned out amazingly lower in price compared to some online specialty retailers so I had hard time saying no.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,377 Posts
Zoe:
Basic oil change. Castrol 0W40 with Fram Ultra filter. Added a Funoto oil drain valve.
Also, added to my parts stash for spring for her. New catless uppipe and used Grimspeed turbo heatshield acquired.

Reactions: Marcinho

·
Registered
167 Posts
@Truck_1_0_1_ - from what I read best way it is to cut them bolts off since it is nothing but rust :( I threw a towel in and did not even attempt it as I just got done with brake lines repairs so had enough of tinkering and took it to my mechanic :) Amazon turned out amazingly lower in price compared to some online specialty retailers so I had hard time saying no.
I'm sure that'll work for him, 'cause it sure as **** works for me! ;)

Thanks, Marcin! :D

·
Registered
940 Posts
New prop shaft. U joints are notchy and the carrier bearing is … well you could say “ what bearing” as it does not spin as freely as one would like

The issue i had was that the diameter of the shaft is a bit larger than OEM. I went for a test drive and heard this ugly squealing sound. It took me a bit to figure out that the rear heat shield was rubbing up against the drive shaft a little bit. The heat shield scrapped a 1/4 in thick line around the shaft from where it made contact. the heat shield was bent out of the way.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Finishing up with exhaust pipe replacement… note the smaller resonator m. Pipe kit is from northeastern exhaust .. pipes are stainless steel 406

Word of warning if you pick up a set of walker spring fasteners for the exhaust. The nut takes a 1/2 inch wrench while the bolt take a 15mm wrench. The spring does not seem as stiff as OEM

·
Registered
05 OBXT stock + preventative mods and an oil consuming turbo
13 Posts
Car White Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

Finally got around to installing the split radio bezel and a head unit. First car I have owned in 13 years that I have had a working audio system in. I88 adapter made by TightFitFabrication and he did an excellent job making my life and this install easy as can be. I will be wrapping or plastidipping the boot surround trim to be black as well soon.

Coilovers off to ADF for rebuild, replacing any worn out bushings, etc.
I am getting ready to do suspension as well and have started looking at bushings that might need replaced. I have read about the front lower rear bushings, and the rear upper bushing at the knuckle for camber adjustment. What else typically needs replaced?

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5L, 2005 Outback XT Limited
25 Posts
View attachment 525502
Finally got around to installing the split radio bezel and a head unit. First car I have owned in 13 years that I have had a working audio system in. I88 adapter made by TightFitFabrication and he did an excellent job making my life and this install easy as can be. I will be wrapping or plastidipping the boot surround trim to be black as well soon.
I need to do this. Did you get the climate control and radio piece on eBay?

6921 - 6940 of 6972 Posts