Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 4th Gen Outback today?

2M views 7K replies 1K participants last post by  Jon89 
Removed the buzzer. No more ding sound when you open the door :)
I'm not against the seatbelt warning sound, it's actually the first thing I do when I start the car and I'm asking all my passengers (especially in the back) to fasten.
But we don't need car manufacturers to tell us we have open doors, right? :)

Inspired by this post on a Forester forum I remembered we have been removing buzzers from air purifiers (to not disturb the kids at night if needed to change airflow speed for example). This process was no different.

Removing the cluster is similar to the Forester. Took about 30mins including cleaning all internal surfaces, air ducts and asking a neighbour (who might as well make money as a contortionist) to recover a dropped screw inside the dashboard.

To me, it was well worth doing it.
It always amazes me, how neatly and solid are built dashboards on Japanese cars in comparison to European cars, such as Mercedes. Also, you can tell why Subaru, Toyota and Lexus don't suffer creaking or rattling even after 400,000 miles. Unlike Mercedes or BMW after 10,000 miles. Bravo Subaru, I like you (y)

Wow..that’s a load of work up just to get rid of the door dinger.
It was actually quite enjoyable to do. It would take me half of the time if I knew what I was doing. I was extra careful not to damage anything.

Since having kids, I prefer peace and quiet so door dings are not an option for me.

There are however, other people who are quite creative with their buzzer upgrades such as this guy

Replaced the cabin air filter.
Had to wait until Amazon ships it to me because the local service shop didn't have it and it would take them ages to order it so I went with a safe choice and bought what I wanted myself.
Compared to what was installed seems like the previous owner's mechanic wasn't really a Swiss watchmaker :unsure::LOL: