Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 5135 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Sport, 6MT
124 Posts
Awesome, great to know.

So did you go for the 215/65/16 to get that specific tire? Or because winters are often a little bigger (215/70/16 is the std size)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Outback PZEV
726 Posts
I accepted the tire size as suggested by the shop (probably they have a stack of them - seems that's a popular one). My OB came with 225/60R17. Therefore, I'm assuming that any other tire size should be compared with the original one to be as close as possible in circumference and diameter. 215/65R16 is 2.25% smaller and 215/70R16 is 0.83% bigger in diameter. Up to 3% difference is acceptable (it's what I was told). It results in a speedometer (and odometer) error. Assuming that it was calibrated with 60R17 and shows 100 km/h, it will show 102 km/h with 65R16 and 99 km/h with 70R16. The point I'm trying to make is that there is some flexibility in selecting a tire size.

·
Registered
2010 Outback PZEV
726 Posts
Another thing. I have a feeling that a cornering is not as good as it was with 225/60R17. I'm wondering if the tire sidewall height has anything to do with it. 215/65R16 is almost 0.2" "taller" than 225/60R17, while 215/70R16 would be almost 0.6" "taller". Would 215/70R16 make it more "wobbly"?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Sport, 6MT
124 Posts
The base US model has the 215/70/16, but yeah, it doesn't really make any difference.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Navigation, Satin White Pearl
344 Posts
I had the dealer put cargo nets on both side and order the rear one for they were out of them. I put that on this morning when the UPS truck left. The other day when I was at the dealer I also, picked up a Cargo Organizer. Make carrying groceries a snap and other stuff. :)

·
Registered
2010 Outback Premium 2.5i
56 Posts
Installed back-up Camera

OK - second attempt to post (first time photo insertion!)

I installed a back-up camera into our 2010 OB. I installed ultrasonic back-up systems in our two previous cars, and was looking for something new to learn. FYI the back-up systems are "Back Tracker BT-4SX" units and they work superbly. If you paint them, the look near factory OEM quality.

The camera system that I bought was a BOYO VTC431R wireless unit. Cost was $183 via Amazon with free-shipping. It includes camera, monitor, hard wire cable (optional), and line filters to reduce interference. I selected this unit because it looks good, and it is dust proof and water proof to 1m immersion. (I had read about car washes killing other units).

The camera housing is heavy - aluminum with a nice chrome finish.

Installation was not trivial. I paid the $34 for the 72 hour shop manual download from mysubaru.com. Well worth it!

Camera mounts to license plate bracket, but major surgery was necessary for wiring. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can provide more details.

I mounted the monitor just above the rear view mirror. A great location, and it only turns on when the car is in reverse. The angle is adjusted so that when a cars bumper is flush with the bottom of the screen, it is about 16 inches away. Even at this tilt angle, I can see maybe 15 feet behind the vehicle due to wide field of view. (EDIT] I can actually see much farther than 15ft even with this angle. Probably more like 30 feet.

I have always had trouble with depth perception with cars, and this really adds to a feeling of security when backing up, especially when curbside parking in the city.

I dont see my photos on the preview, so I dont think they are going to post ...
Would be happy to post them if I can figure out the process :)

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R Limited
182 Posts
The backup camera is the one thing I would have liked to have had with our car, but couldn't justify the cost of the NAV system. I would really like to see pics of the install of both items....I will PM you my e-mail.

·
Registered
MY10 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
32 Posts
I fitted a pair of Phillips ExtremePower HB3 65watt globes into the high beams today. We're lucky here in Oz to have Xenon HID in the low beams on the 3.6R as standard.

The ExtremePowers are a definite improvement over the OEM bulbs ... but not as good as the Bi-Xenons that were in the 3.0R I just traded. Why did they delete the Bi-Xenons ... :(

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
61 Posts
Sir Sawgrass said:
I had the dealer put cargo nets on both side and order the rear one for they were out of them. I put that on this morning when the UPS truck left. The other day when I was at the dealer I also, picked up a Cargo Organizer. Make carrying groceries a snap and other stuff. :)
Which cargo organizer did you get? I need one so that stuff does not slide around in the back. Any recommendations would be helpful.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Navigation, Satin White Pearl
344 Posts
GTScott said:

Which cargo organizer did you get? I need one so that stuff does not slide around in the back. Any recommendations would be helpful.
I pick up the one that Subaru sells, think the part number is SOA567T100.
24 inches long, 14 inches wide, and 6 inches deep. (24x14x6) Fold flat when not needed. I think the cost was around $60.

I like it. :)

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R Ltd w/ nav
23 Posts
I have no idea if these are any good, but the price couldn't be beat. I just ordered from http://www.trunkorganizer.com/ . Looks like one of those "as seen on TV" QVC type of products, but hey, I'll give it a shot. Now if only my OB would come in. It's on a truck somewhere.

·
Registered
2010 OB
2 Posts
I love this thread... may it endure for years

I've yet to take delivery on my '10 OD 2.5i LTD (that I ordered on labor Day) but enjoy reading what others are experiencing & hope to add my 2-cents as time goes on.

·
Registered
2010 Steel Silver 2.5 premium
72 Posts
Just wanted to revive this thread a little.

So far I have...
1.) Removed the driver's side rear badges...easily done. Now just OUTBACK remains on the passenger side.
2.) Removed rack sticker and that annoying sticker from next to the e-parking brake.
3.) Auto Scotchgarded the interior
4.) Rain-X'd the windows and side-view mirrors.
5.) Installed two Britax Marathon car seats in the back (forward facing, Latch + tethers)
6.) License plate mount for the front. I found a really great one at Walmart which is plastic ~$7), but it allowed for some increased stability for the plate, and, more importantly, allows the plate to be adjusted vertically. It is now centered on the front bumber.
7.) License plate frames for front and back. Also Walmart (~$4 each, matte black metal)

Things that I am planning (Christmas gifts!):4:
1.) Wheel arch moldings...I have not seen these on the Silver yet, but want to throw a little nod to Outback history.
2.) Aftermarket Bluetooth device
3.) Painting the fog-light surrounds black to match the bumper. Has anyone found the right colour?
4.) Side rear cargo nets
5.) Getting a "severe weather" kit together to go into the storage under the rear floor. (I still remember James Kim, CNET editor, story from December of 2006...)
6.) Valentine 1 radar detector with CountryJoy mount (or Blendmount) with Stealthcord.

Maybe....
1.) I'd love to see more regarding the back-up camera...
2.) WeatherTech mats

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited w/MoonRoof - Harvest Gold
196 Posts
I put gas in my car for the first time today. 25.58mpg. Also went to the dealer and got my plates and some Outback Detergent.

·
Registered
2010 Outback -White Pearl-3.6 Limited w/ Nav-XM-Puddle Lights-Factory Hitch-Wheel Arch Moldings-Splash Guards
74 Posts
Busy day today!!!

Installed Factory Hitch. Took 2.5 hours. I did not install the wiring yet because all I need the hitch for is my bike rack. Will do the wiring in the future if I get time or need it.

Next was a coat of wax.

Then the Wheel Arch Moldings,

and finally the Splash Guards. I think I am done for a while.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I replaced the rusty screws holding my license plates on with stainless steel screws. It was an exciting day!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
I installed the factory tweeters I bought. This weekend the car gets the Curt hitch and wiring harness. If I feel like it i'll install the side a rear cargo nets I bought too.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited
180 Posts
I recently installed rear and side cargo nets. They already proved to be very useful. Next is media hub and XM radio, just have to wait for warmer days.

21 - 40 of 5135 Posts