Subaru Outback Forums banner

4881 - 4900 of 4918 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can’t wait to get back home and drive mine. Think this is the longest I’ve gone without driving since the summer before my sophomore year of high school. But I plan to put my NGK spark plugs in and my catless headers and J pipe in by the end of the month. Much more vroom vroom sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
It is the beginning of winter here in Australia (temps between 37 and 65 Fahrenheit most days) and while making the drive home from my last work stop on Thursday (about a 20 minute drive) the over temp light started flashing on my 2011 3.6 Outback. The vehicle has travelled just over 120,000 miles.

After some diagnosis I found a crack in the top tank of the radiator so then I needed to find a replacement radiator. I had to replace a radiator in my Daughters 2004 Impreza about a year ago so I called the same supplier and was happy to hear that they had a Koyo radiator in stock for my vehicle.

After a three hour round trip (about 80 miles with Friday afternoon Sydney traffic) I had the radiator in hand. I removed the old radiator on Saturday and replaced it with the new one. While I was at it I flushed the heater unit, replaced the thermostat and radiator cap and cleaned the PCV valve which was easily accessible. I did notice the serpentine belt is starting to show cracks so I will order one of those and fit it when it arrives.

As reported by others in other posts, I found a lot of debris on the front side of the radiator (between the radiator and the HVAC condenser) and this was quite intriguing as the front of the HVAC condenser was clear of debris and the foam at the top and bottom of the radiator was in good condition. After a more detailed inspection of the removed radiator, I would think that at least 30% of the radiator fins were obstructed by dirt and debris. The bottom 1.5 to 2 inches across the entire width of the radiator was also full of dirt.

The vehicle seems to be running cooler now (could just be my imagination)

Seagrass

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yesterday I got my new wheels and tires mounted, enkei PDC and Pirelli Scorpion All Terrian Plus's 225/65R17

I also plastidipped the grill and fog light surrounds a few weeks ago and installed quad hella horns and two 8" LED light bars.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Woo hoo...I rolled over 200,000km...that’s 124,000...ish miles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Helped a good friend and her husband load their house into a semi trailer and move from IL to Idaho. If anyone is curious you can fit 3 Large TV boxes assembled from UHAUL in the Outback with the seats down and enough room to squeeze a pizza underneath. Oh and I almost forgot their was a moving dolly underneath all of those too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
All four wheel bearings

I spent all of Saturday and a couple hours Sunday swapping all four wheel bearings. Before changing they were groaning and roaring. I didn’t realize how loud they actually were until they were changed out. They were all rust-welded in place, and required excessive amounts of penetrating fluid, beating with sledge hammers, prying, and finally torching to get them out. I had about four guys helping me off and on throughout the day(s) too. I damaged the thread on a lower ball joint on the front passenger side so ended up replacing that as well.
I also found out the rear rotors are scored and nasty looking. I’m replacing those in a couple weeks with the pads. Hopefully my back will be better by then :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Today, I did the second CVT Fluid service on my 2013 2.5 Base. We are now at 139k miles. The transmission's responsiveness had been getting lazy, and it would occaisionally dip the RPMs when pulling up to stop signs.

I went to the dealer to buy the fluid, and the parts guy was surprised that I was doing any sort of service to transmission. He gave me the story about "lifetime" fluid, and I told him about how my sister's OB had to have $1500 worth of torque converter replaced AND then the valve body. So I'm not really buying into Subaru's idea of what "lifetime" means.

Anyway, I drained the old fluid out. It was brown, but not scary. They I spent the next 45 minutes rolling around in CVTII fluid while I fooled around with the cheap-o transfer pump to refill the trans. (Yes, I let it warm up. Yes, I cycled through all the gears. Yes, I added more. Yes, I repeated that process until it would take no more.)

Took the car for a test drive, and it was wonderful. The responsiveness was smooth. The RPM dips were gone.

The dealerships can go take a walk with this "lifetime fluid" crap. They are really doing a disservice to their customers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today I BOUGHT mine! 2013 3.6r w 70K miles. My older 2004 Forester rolled 200Kmi and I've been after a '13/14 for months. Kinda hard to find to be honest, they get snatched up quick. Only plans so far are a 2" hitch, I tow. Realllly loving the ride, what an improvement!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Changed coolant. The car does seem to lend itself to DIY things and where I can save by DIY i'll do it.

I bought the EPAuto spillproff funnel kit - glad I did. Never know where the California Spill Posse is at. They'd call county health and the fire department if a drop of coolant hit the cement.

Curse the pop clips to remove so the bottom cover could come off. Broke 1 stubborn one. Have lots of replacements on hand.

Drain plug is a plastic jobby that turns with a phillips screwdriver. Modern times. Let all the old coolant out into a drain pan and put it in plastic jugs to take to recycle.

Fill with the funnel and it's plug stick. Subaru blue coolant, same as what came out.

Run the engine till it heats up, recap the rad, test drive, test the heat, return and level off the coolant overflow.

Cost - about $90 including the funnel kit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Replaced all 4 engine and trans mounts on my 2011 2.5 with 140k miles. wow what a difference in the feel. mounts go early in Az due to the extreme heat and dryness. also replaced rear hatch struts. used all oem parts from subaru. she feels brand new again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Took my front two Primitive skid plates off yesterday and cleaned them. Leaving them off due to getting front diff and tranny fluid done on Tuesday. May take wheels off and clean the inside of them and the brakes/pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Totaled my 2013 Premium last month. Only 78k with Primatve Racing light bar with lots of lights on it and a 2” lift. Was only able to save the lights. Now have a 2014 Limited w/45k miles. Just got the hitch, tint and LED in the low beams and fogs. Also my super cool rear reflector mods. Still looking for a light bar as sturdy and versatile as PR’s (they don’t make em any more).
5C7C63B5-9F38-42D8-8FAD-5549CBF0F3A6.jpeg
3D2E681D-A667-4979-A5B0-FFE94C72BEBC.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replaced the headlights bulbs for the 2nd time in less than 12 months. First mistake - I run them always on. Second mistake - SilverStar bulbs. Not sure which one is the bigger mistake. :unsure:

Popped off the front bumper and pulled the headlight housings. About an hour start to finish.

Considering HID conversion for next time.

4881 - 4900 of 4918 Posts
About this Discussion
4.9K Replies
923 Participants
TonyF
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing