Subaru Outback Forums banner

4901 - 4918 of 4918 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed an Amateur 'HAM' [VHF/UHF] radio in it. It's a Kenwood TM-V71A like I have in my Toyota 4x4s. My wife, however, said "that's all, right? ... no HF radios with BIG screwdriver antennas?" - lol.

I was able to run a 10AWG power cable (with a 25 amp fuse) from the engine compartment through an existing rubber plug in the firewall into the interior without any issues. The power cable plus the remote extension cables for the control head and the microphone were all run under the door sill plates, making for a nice and tidy installation that won the approval from my wife (since the car is actually her 'new' 'grocery-getter').

The detachable control head/faceplate fits great in a pocket in the dash ...

TM-V71A Head Unit Subaru.jpg

... and the main radio body fits very well in a pocket area in the cargo compartment ... and has plenty of open space around it for cooling purposes.

TM-V71A Main Unit Subaru.jpg

A Diamond 200 series hatchback mount and a sleek dual band antenna is working out great too.

TM-V71A Antenna Subaru-1.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fitted an EcoHitch, different grill and the CCK transmission insert. Replaced fog light bulbs. Both were burned out when I bought the car a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fitted an EcoHitch, different grill and the CCK transmission insert. Replaced fog light bulbs. Both were burned out when I bought the car a month ago.

And finally put the Subaru badge on the grill. Didn’t look right without it.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Nice grill! The badge does look nice. I’ve been thinking about getting a legacy grill. I have a Gen 4 SAP (3.6) as well.

What is the transmission insert? Like a poly bushing?

Also the mountains look amazing in your last picture!

·
Registered
22 Posts
It’s the cke ssp insert from traildogck here on this forum.

I have had a few things from him and all have improved both cars. This Gen 4 and my Gen 3 Outback as well.
Worth checking out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yesterday was 86 Day, so what a fitting day to have purchased some GT86 wheels.

$130 for the set in nearly perfect condition. These will be an improvement over the 16" steelies and having factory Subaru wheels will only benefit the resale value. BRZ center caps ordered... Now to finish off the cheap all seasons on the current wheels and invest in some better all terrain tires for these.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is that the C-mod mesh grille? Looks really similar to the one I got from them.

It's been a while since I've done these, but I never got around to posting pictures here.

I replaced my grille with the mesh one from C-mod, opened up my headlights and blacked out the housing, plastidipped the light grey bit of the front bumper black, and replaced the stock horns with Hella Horn Sharp Tones which I took apart and painted red and black to match my color scheme. I'm super happy with how it looks now, wish it came from the factory looking like this.

IMG_20190718_203826.jpg
goshen_fog.jpg
parkinglot_small.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is that the C-mod mesh grille? Looks really similar to the one I got from them.

It's been a while since I've done these, but I never got around to posting pictures here.

I replaced my grille with the mesh one from C-mod, opened up my headlights and blacked out the housing, plastidipped the light grey bit of the front bumper black, and replaced the stock horns with Hella Horn Sharp Tones which I took apart and painted red and black to match my color scheme. I'm super happy with how it looks now, wish it came from the factory looking like this.

View attachment 469245 View attachment 469247 View attachment 469248
Yes I bought the C-mid grill. **** yours looks good!!
I have the factory blacked out headlights but any more black parts on mine isn’t going to look very good as it’s a black car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I bought the C-mid grill. **** yours looks good!!
I have the factory blacked out headlights but any more black parts on mine isn’t going to look very good as it’s a black car.
Thank you! I love the look of the C-mod grille, but I haven't been thrilled with the fit on it. Hood release rubs on it and if you look closely at the upper corners in the first and third pictures I posted you can see the passenger side sits lower than the drivers side. Nothing major and I'm sure I could fix both problems pretty easily, just annoying that I have to after $140. C-mod also says the fiberglass (non-mesh) area should be painted so I ended up painting it with semi-gloss spray paint so it better matched the sheen on the plastic trim and the headlights. I also reused the badge from the stock grille with a vinyl sticker over it. It came cleanly off from the chrome section with a little work and I used automotive 3M tape to adhere it to the mesh. I actually did all this last August, and it's held on through snow and off roading and multiple car washes without budging.

Your car looks great too, super clean. I personally really don't like the light grey section on the bumper and I love blacked out cars myself, but you could always add a color for contrast. Plastidip is great for messing around with that with little risk, just peel it off if you decide you don't like it.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Changed fluids in both diffs, tranny, and brakes. Good for another 100,000 km.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Took it to the dealer for a head gasket....
A 2011, as your username suggests?

Any previous overheating?
How frequently did you flush or at least test your coolant?

Seems like HG failure on these FBs have been fairly rare. Or at least on par with most other cars, only failing from abuse or maintenance neglect. Not like the EJs...

·
Registered
3 Posts
A 2011, as your username suggests?

Any previous overheating?
How frequently did you flush or at least test your coolant?

Seems like HG failure on these FBs have been fairly rare. Or at least on par with most other cars, only failing from abuse or maintenance neglect. Not like the EJs...
It's an EJ253, also as username suggests. Headgaskets and heads machined today, along with a wheel bearing cost about $3700 here at Subaru Canada. the FB's came in to use during the 2013 models I believe.

She purrs now though! Glad its done and over with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nothing like a flat tire to motivate you to finish the project that has been dragging on... Still need to clean up the overspray from the plastidip. Didn't quite peel off like DYC videos. Lesson learned - should have mounted the tires with the smooth wall on the outside.

Wheels - 16" OEM enkei off a 2004 Forester XT
Tires - Hankook Dynapro AT2 225/70 R16

Now I just need to install the adf lift that has been sitting in the garage!

·
Registered
50 Posts
polished my headlights a couple days ago then loaded my hurricane gear in the back today, hopefully Dorian doesn't hit my area too hard

4901 - 4918 of 4918 Posts
About this Discussion
4.9K Replies
923 Participants
TonyF
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing