Subaru Outback Forums banner

5141 - 5160 of 5208 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Limited
18 Posts
looks great! i was thinking about this exact setup!
how did the driving characteristics change, with the new tires + wider stance?

more pics from the side too, please!
Here is a before and after comparison... It looks bigger in the after picture, but that's just how I happen to have stopped on the speed bump in front of my house.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's not what I did to my SOB, it's what it did to me!
I had my OBD and app linked when I turned the car off. When I restarted it after about 30 minutes, I had the following: constant break light, flashing traction control, CEL, and flashing cruise control. Scan revealed U0073 (control module) error. So of course I freaked out and googled. Most reads said take it to the dealer...ugh.
So I went back out to the car, unplugged the OBD scanner and started the car...nothing lit up as before. So I scanned for codes and got nothing back; pending or stored.
So I'm figuring, that since the OBD scan was running at startup, it tripped the U0073 code. I'll report back if that's not the case.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,320 Posts
Finally got around to getting one of the tpms sensors replaced. It started acting up over a year ago. Several months back it finally went belly up and the indicator light would go solid after blinking at startup.
I just took it to a local tire shop and changed the one dead one (the tech interrogated all of them with a reader). I don't know what they replaced it with and don't care too much since it is not a critical sensor (IMO).
2010 with 141k miles if anyone is curious. The remaining sensors are likely also near end-of-life.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
880 Posts
The industry says that we can expect about 8 years out of the typical factory TPMS batteries. So you turned out to be ahead of the curve. I wonder if a blinking TPMS dashboard light constitutes a failure here in North Carolina of the mandatory annual vehicle safety inspection. I will try to remember to ask the shop when I take my 1999 Ram in for its annual inspection before the end of this month.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium
10 Posts
I made her a little less shiny.

I used Plasi dip brand, uh, plasti dip. One can and six coats over two days with 4 hour dry time in between each. I removed the grille and fascia (as good a name as any) pieces. I only sprayed the grey and chrome pieces. I'm happy with the finish and look. Now to see how long it lasts.

Inspired by AO River's Plasti Dip post and others, although I didn't etch the chrome. Maybe I'll do that if time proves I need to refinish the grille.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
IKEA run with the family followed by parking lot picnic in the car. Its been a while since we went to a store all together and the IKEA isn't too close so we may have gone a little crazy getting stuff but it was all very needed. Love that I never need to worry about having space in the car
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0314.jpg

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
880 Posts
Drove it to NAPA to pick up the parts I needed to bypass my 1999 Ram's leaking heater core. $18 worth of 5/8-inch heater hose and a 5/8-inch brass barb should do the trick. Sure beats having to pull out the entire dashboard to get to the heater core.

·
Registered
30 Posts
rotated the tires last week and did a longer drive over the father's day weekend (belated to all the dad's out there)!
front tires (which were on the rear) had some minor cupping/feathering due to the rotation, but since went away with lots of driving.

also just registered the car for another year of CA driving!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is a before and after comparison... It looks bigger in the after picture, but that's just how I happen to have stopped on the speed bump in front of my house.
looks great! how does it drive on the spacers? curious bc i find that a wider stance causes unwanted torque steer on my other FWD vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
948 Posts
Did the timing belt, all idlers and tensioner, serpentine belt & tensioner (missed the idler), thermostat & gasket, coolant drain&fill. We only have 60k on the car but going by the elapse time it was due for the timing belt change. Old belt - not surprisingly - looked great. Some of the idlers had a slight sound to them when spinning, indicating some very light wear. I could probably have gone a lot longer on the old setup but better safe than sorry - I like to stick to the maintenance schedule even if it seems very conservative to follow the time-based schedule.

Biggest challenge seemed to be getting the darned crank pulley off. I didn't realize the pulley holder holes in the pulley aren't threaded so I couldn't use my pulley puller. Lots of wiggling eventually got it unstuck.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium, CVT.
74 Posts
Drove it to NAPA to pick up the parts I needed to bypass my 1999 Ram's leaking heater core. $18 worth of 5/8-inch heater hose and a 5/8-inch brass barb should do the trick. Sure beats having to pull out the entire dashboard to get to the heater core.
LOL. First fleet truck I was issued in 1979, 72 Ford. It barfed it's coolant in the cab. Fleet mechanic bypassed the core and called it fixed. Not too many mornings below 40 here but there were a few days of chilled driving and fogged windows. Company never did fix it.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Limited
18 Posts
looks great! how does it drive on the spacers? curious bc i find that a wider stance causes unwanted torque steer on my other FWD vehicle.
I haven't noticed any torque steering issues. It feels like it takes slightly more effort to get around on u-turns, but I'm not sure if that's due to the wider stance or the more aggressive tread. The tires are wonderful, and provide just enough road noise to know they are purpose-built tires, but not so much to be obnoxious. It's most noticeable between 30-45 mph. For my money and driving habits and style, it has been the perfect set up for me. I've done some very mild off-pavement stuff, including rocks around 6 inches high. Zero issues. Very happy.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5
30 Posts
Took the Kayak out to a local lake.
First time I used the Thule Hullaport on the factory crossbars.
Never again.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium, CVT.
74 Posts
Installed a ScanGuageII. Now have the water temp, CVT temp and voltage always available. Got one more corner to flip through the other readings. It powers on with the key on, with the 4 gauges as default. Shuts down a few seconds after zero RPM. All in all, happy with it.

Onward to 100,000 M, just 6,000 miles to go.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Today it was an oil and filter change, followed by tire rotation. Then, Rexing V1P Pro dual dash cams were installed. Quiet the fulfilling day.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,320 Posts
Had the tires rebalanced yesterday so I retorqued the lugs today. I worry about them being overtorqued and I can't get them loosened on the side of the road with the rudimentary tools.
All were reasonably tight except the locking lugs nuts were undertorqued at all corners. Oh well, that's why I check.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
Filled up with gas so we can head out Monday for our trip to Michigan after I get off work this weekend!
IMG_0359.jpg

5141 - 5160 of 5208 Posts