Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
5561 - 5580 of 5639 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,167 Posts
I would much prefer a snake. They do not chew up your engine bay.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,058 Posts
While washing my car I noticed the under pan (splash guard) seemed loose so I thought I may have knocked it loose during an unplanned tall curb adventure a few weeks ago.
I looked at it and see the front edge of the pan is not fastened but just sits on the ledge of the bumper cover. The most forward fasteners are near the corners. I added some industrial-strength Velcro. I don't know if that will mitigate any vibration or make it worse but it's there now.

·
Registered
'11 Black Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
17 Posts
Yesterday and today I replaced the rear passenger side wheel bearing. As I am in New England, it was not a fun job. Utilized the hub buster and a half a can of PB blaster and patience. Some cracks with a 12 pound sledge hammer last night and a soak in PB blaster overnight. And then maybe 20 solid cracks today. Came out of the knuckle, but it was still stuck to the backing plate. Also realized the CV axle was still stuck in the hub as well. So actually bolted the **** bearing back on and went at the axle with a punch and a hammer. Ultimately a rubber mallet did the job, probably because I felt free to really get at it. With the axle free, I tried to pull the bearing off but it was stuck again! Put the hub buster on one more time and a quick sledge and it was off again. Then went at the back of the bearing through the backing plate. Thankfully that didn’t take too long. Worst part of the job had to be putting the **** e-brake back together. What genius at Subaru came up with that pin system? I notice that they improved it in later 4th gen models, but the 2011 design is awful.

Overall it could have been worse. Having both the axle and bearing seized was a worst case scenario, but enough swinging and it was over fairly quickly. With that one replaced the sound from the rear wheel bearings is now only half as loud. Rear driver side bearing up next.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
92 Posts
Pulled the heads in an attempt to fix a serial overheating problem. Have an OEM timing belt kit with water pump going on as well. The job has obviously been done before since neither gaskets are OEM. Will hopefully have it all back together and buttoned up by the weekend. Has been a fun job so far, plenty of bug bites, hand lacerations, and grease/dirt stains on my skin.
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Audio equipment
Azure Art Paint Font Circle
Circle Art Electric blue Font Pattern
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Font Bicycle part Gas Tints and shades Auto part
Eyewear Automotive tire Font Road surface Rim
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
2011 2.5i premium cvt
30 Posts
This past week I was on vacation and did a couple of things to my Outback. I drained and filled the front and rear diffs. Drained and filled (twice) the CVT. I also added a Whiteline front strut tower brace, p/n KSB639. It took a bit to get the length set correctly and it fits snugly against the cowl vent piece. However the car seems noticeably more solid feeling. Might have to remove it when I get my windshield replace next, but that's fine.

Quick note for the cvt fluid change. Buy the little pump that fits a lube bottle from any auto parts store, trust me. Have more fluid on hand than you think you'll need. You need to check the fluid level with the transmission at operating temp and the car level. I put it on 4 ramps, that gave me lots of room.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium w/Eyesite
227 Posts
Well, it wasn't today, but I changed the oil, the air filter, and cleaned the MAF sensor last weekend. 84K miles; I put about 10K a year on this car, and now just change the oil once a year. Samples of used oil sent to Blackstone indicate the oil is fine. The oil sensor light comes on reliably when the oil gets within 1/4 of the lower mark on the dipstick. I just know to add a 1/2Q. Seems to burn about a q between oil changes. Which I'm told is normal.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,058 Posts
Went by the home improvement store and picked up some aluminum rain gutter and downspout. They were 10 foot long pieces so I reclined the passenger seat to get space all the way to the corner. I keep a reusable shopping bag in the car so I slipped that over the end of the aluminum to protect the soft surfaces up front. Pulled the seatbelt over it just to keep it from sliding over at me.
Hood Light Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited/SAP
41 Posts
Yesterday my region got a good amount of rainfall so what do I do? Go try out my Cooper Discoverers AT3 4Ss in the rain. They are handling everything that is thrown at them. I also picked up a huge box of donations for Subaru.

This weekend, it is getting one of its speakers replaced as well as going to Overlanders day at Cars & Coffee.

Reactions: Zahn

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited with Moonroof
16 Posts
Oil+filter, cabin and engine air filters and added a half quart of coolant ( if it continues to drop, a UOA may be in order to figure out where it's going...).

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited 3.6Rrrrr
120 Posts
Pulled the heads in an attempt to fix a serial overheating problem. Have an OEM timing belt kit with water pump going on as well. The job has obviously been done before since neither gaskets are OEM. Will hopefully have it all back together and buttoned up by the weekend. Has been a fun job so far, plenty of bug bites, hand lacerations, and grease/dirt stains on my skin.
So... how'd the work results be? Is she all back together? Overheating solved? Insect bites gone also?

Impressive work btw

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited 3.6Rrrrr
120 Posts
Took my dogs on a vacation to Maine. Their philosophy is It’s better to go somewhere than be left behind.
View attachment 520970 View attachment 520970
How many dogs ride along with you? Where about in Maine - any recommendations?

And lol, indeed that is a dog philosophy for sure! My Shadow (RIP), black lab companion, would go EVERYWHERE with me in my S-10 Blazer...

BTW, image doesn't show? Get this message:
Rectangle Font Brand Paper product Pattern

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited 3.6Rrrrr
120 Posts
This past week I was on vacation and did a couple of things to my Outback. I drained and filled the front and rear diffs. Drained and filled (twice) the CVT. I also added a Whiteline front strut tower brace, p/n KSB639. It took a bit to get the length set correctly and it fits snugly against the cowl vent piece. However the car seems noticeably more solid feeling. Might have to remove it when I get my windshield replace next, but that's fine.

Quick note for the cvt fluid change. Buy the little pump that fits a lube bottle from any auto parts store, trust me. Have more fluid on hand than you think you'll need. You need to check the fluid level with the transmission at operating temp and the car level. I put it on 4 ramps, that gave me lots of room.
How many miles on the OB, what primed you to decide to change the diffs and the CVT?

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited 3.6Rrrrr
120 Posts
Got to figure out a rodent deterrent ASAP. Mouse traps work well in the garage but the Subie parks on the driveway
Try this too... I do this around the house [1949-era brick], and also within vehicles that sit outside:

Mix few spoonfuls ~equal amounts cinnamon, cloves, chili flakes, and star anise... combine all into a tea bag... and then place bags wherever best desire.

Also use various peppermint sprays, such as "Rodent Sheriff Pest Control Ultru-Pure".

So, lol, besides (hopefully!) a rodent free and non-destroyed vehicle, be smelling good too!

·
Registered
2011 2.5i premium cvt
30 Posts
How many miles on the OB, what primed you to decide to change the diffs and the CVT?
I have about 89,xxx miles on it now. I guess reading the thread linked below convinced me to change the fluids. The Diffs are easy and I had the fluid already, was doing the same to my Jeep and installing LubeLockers. As for the CVT, the valvoline fluid can be had from a local walmart or amazon. There are just a few plug gaskets to get and odd plug removal tools and the oil bottle pump. (T70 Torx for the front Diff, 8 & 10mm Hex for the CVT) I was thinking that a few fluid dumps and refills would be a lot easier than replacing my CVT.

Drain Plug removal kit

T70 Torx

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
158 Posts
Try this too... I do this around the house [1949-era brick], and also within vehicles that sit outside:

Mix few spoonfuls ~equal amounts cinnamon, cloves, chili flakes, and star anise... combine all into a tea bag... and then place bags wherever best desire.

Also use various peppermint sprays, such as "Rodent Sheriff Pest Control Ultru-Pure".

So, lol, besides (hopefully!) a rodent free and non-destroyed vehicle, be smelling good too!
No problems with rodents on my tractor this morning.

Attachments

5561 - 5580 of 5639 Posts