Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
5581 - 5600 of 5639 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,167 Posts
Love those black racers. They keep the rodent population in check around my neck of the woods as well.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT
2 Posts
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. I finally finished getting all my bolt-ons done (for now) on my 2010 2.5 CVT. These include roof basket w/ full size spare (225/65/17), nilight 20" basket light bar w/ pods on either side, ADF 2" front 2.5" rear lift w/ multi link spacers, CKE anti-wobble insert, 3/4 carrier bearing spacer, new axles, new control arms, ball joints, new struts/springs, and ADF front skid plate. This obviously wasn't all done in one day, but working on the ground in my driveway makes things take a little longer. The outback has 206k on her now, but she's strong as ever. I'm on my 3rd timing belt, and 2nd set of head gaskets. All done by yours truly, with the exception of alignments of course. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I figured it's about time to get more involved in the community. This site has been a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
158 Posts
Love those black racers. They keep the rodent population in check around my neck of the woods as well.
Down here (NC) we call those black rat or just black snake. The black racers are much more slender and also very nervous. The black snakes are calm, often to the point you can pick them up and move them without a problem.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,167 Posts
I am in North Carolina as well, and we grew up in the 1960s calling them black racers. As you said, the more current designation is just 'rat snake'. I caught quite a few of them as a kid and kept several as pets along with various lizards and a very mean and potentially dangerous snapping turtle. Very calm as you said, and very intelligent compared to other snake species. My favorite was Charlie. I had him for three or four years before he began getting restless (probably wanting to find a mate) so I sadly let him go in the woods that summer. He was nearly five feet long and recognized / trusted me. He would come to me to be picked up and stroked, but he would not voluntarily approach anyone else. I was 12 or 13 when I let him go and that was indeed a very sad day even though I knew it was for the best.

Reactions: m75rlg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last weekend I replaced the radiator hoses, clamps, thermostat, radiator cap, and refilled with fresh coolant. Boy, that coolant was nasty. I'm surprised because it has pretty decent maintenance history. That thermostat was a real pain. I ended up loosening all the exhaust bolts and dropping the manifolds just enough to fit a ratchet/torque wrench.

It was probably neglected a bit the last few years as they planned to trade it in. I just bought my 2013 2.5L with 234K in June so I'm trying to get maintenance up to speed as I find the time. I already put new rotors and pads a while back. The dealer I bought it from already replaced the CVT valve body and did a fluid change. Next on my list is a full brake flush and diff oil change. I kick myself for not doing the flush when I did the brakes, but I was in a hurry. It seems like every step is a challenge when you are working in your driveway and pressed for time. Oh, and I'll be replacing the PCV valve this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow. That's impressive mileage.
Do you know much of the service history of the car?
Most curious if it has the original headgaskets and CVT.
Well, I don't have any records, so the only info I have is what was reported on Carfax, unfortunately. It appears to have received routine maintenance and repairs at the dealer up until around 2019 and then they slacked off after that. Based on the nasty coolant and brake fluid I can confirm this. If someone can tell me if/where the VIN is located on the transmission I can double check, but I don't see anything about replacing the transmission. The valve body was replaced by the car dealer I bought it from at around 234K. I actually have about 236K on it now. If that was the first valve body replacement, then that would be amazing, based on what I've read. I do see some misc "vehicle serviced" at a dealer here and there, so you never know. Also, I don't see anything about headgaskets listed either, but you never know. The only recent stuff I see are control arms and front struts at 210K (08/19), spark plugs at 213K (10/19), and O2 sensor at 214K (10/19). It looks like they donated it in 12/20 so I'm guessing the valve body was the last straw for them.

This OB runs great except for the oil consumption. I'm going to start tracking how much oil it burns just for fun. Rough guess is 1 qt every 1,000 miles. :(

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited/SAP
41 Posts
Yesterday went to my local cars & Coffee for Overlanding day then went to get my front speaker replaced. When I got home, I worked on finishing up my Overlanding first aid kit that is has more items than one can imagine. It will go into my Outback for my adventures.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6MT
14 Posts
Finally got around to installing the fog lamp kit for my base model Outback. I plastidipped the surrounds straight out the box, as well as the lower grill bars. Really happy with how they turned out. Just hope the plasti dip holds up, it was my first time spraying anything (plasti dip or otherwise).

Any ideas on what to do about my wheels? Have been tempted to upgrade to some stock Outback or Crosstrek rims. However, the tires are nearly new and are 16" (the new rims would be 17"). So seems a bit of a waste right now. Questioning if plasti-dipping my stock wheel covers would be too much black? Don't want it to look trashy!
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Grille Plant

·
Registered
52 Posts
After swapping my loud AT tires for some all seasons, I was chasing a wheel bearing noise. Using the standard process I swerved right to left and could hear it get louder when swerving right leading you to believe it was a left side bearing. Changed the LR and still noisy, changed the LF and still the same. Finally jacked it up and listened with a stethoscope and found the RR was the source. Let this be a lesson that some bearings get noisier when unloaded which is unusual.

Also, if you plan on changing front bearings save yourself the hassle and buy a complete assembled knuckle. I spent too much time beating the seized bearing out of the front knuckle and trashed the ball joint. While removing the old ball joint I cracked the knuckle and had to weld it. Ground out the crack and tacked it was a little MIG. Let this be a warning lol
Wood Bedrock Artifact Trunk Soil
Grey Artifact Bedrock Tints and shades Font
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out. Good Idea I'll do the same.
Super easy and I don’t even think you need any tools besides drilling the hole. That top trim panel can be yanked off, and the little rubber tube can be pulled out of the sheet metal on both ends so you can easily feed the camera wire through.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,058 Posts
@Longmire
A friendly service writer might be willing to print out the service records for you. I believe the services recorded by dealer service centers are available to all Subaru service centers.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,058 Posts
I saw this embedded in a front tire and figured I had another plug to do.
Automotive tire Road surface Tread Wood Grey

turned out to be benign. Got lucky this time. (Yes, I lnow the tread is thin)
Tire Wood Tread Automotive tire Natural material

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,167 Posts
Well done. I am never that lucky with objects that stick to our tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rainy day. Went to take my 90 year old mother shopping to get her out of her apartment. All fine when I left home to pick her up, five miles away. Got in after getting her settled in the car and found my TPMS light on. Rats. Checked tires, all looked fine. After I took her shopping, but before leaving her senior apartment complex, I checked my tires. Rears at 32, front driver 28, front passenger 29. Got home, aired them up, took a ten mile drive, light out.

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited 3.6Rrrrr
120 Posts
changed all 10 of my rear lights

2 reverse lights to LED
2 turn signals to LED
4 marker lights, regular bulb
2 brake lights, regular bulb
Any recommendations on brands, or just generic LED's?
Noticeable difference?

5581 - 5600 of 5639 Posts