Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
5601 - 5620 of 5639 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,058 Posts
Noticeable difference?
If your OB has tinted windows and no backup camera, upgrading to LED reverse lights is highly recommended. The increased illumination really helps being able to see when backing up at nighttime.
I got some off bezos-mart. Cannot remember what brand but they are not GE, Philips or Sylvania and they are bright.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
631 Posts
Trip to Michigan started out interesting. Left the house to go get gas before hitting the highway and the airbag light was on. First thought was huh bad sensor or connection but either way I’ll have to check when we get to the house in Michigan. After getting gas I turned the car back on and the light cleared and never came back on the whole drive up. I’ll have to wait and see if it was a fluke or what.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fresh Oil Change, and replaced both air filters. While I was at it I decided I wanted to add a sub, so now on the hunt for the HK sub bracket(s)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Took off the roof box for the first time in a while. Also took all the kids stuff out because the wife and I are going on a solo trip for a couple days and I swear it raises the back up a couple inches without all their stuff and the roof box. It looks weird without it but drives nice.
Car Wheel Plant Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
3,106 Posts
Any recommendations on brands, or just generic LED's?
Noticeable difference?
Sylvania and Philips... generic LEDs suck donkey nuts and do not last...

Saturday I changed my oil and filter along with all 4 VVT solenoids... no more slight miss at idle and drive line shudder is just about gone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not today, but a few days ago... broke down on the highway with intense engine rattling. Got it towed home and dismantled the engine, broke the timing chain cover after missing a bolt that I loosened but forgot to remove completely. Not impairments to the chain, moved on to remove exhaust and oil pan and found pieces of a piston ring in it. This explains intense rattling.
This comes a year after replacing the CVT and both cylinder heads and a mountain of other work just to pass inspection.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i 6MT
74 Posts
How do you like those control arms?
They have done great and held up against some pretty bad beatings. I have them flipped currently for a little extra lift but am considering putting them to stock orientation to level the Outback a bit more. I am pushing 3"+ in the rear currently. The camber adjustment on them is worth the investment. I also believe they are one of the only rear control arms offered for our generation Outback. I also run their front and rear sway bar endlinks. RalliTek has always been great to deal with.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Not today, but a few days ago... broke down on the highway with intense engine rattling. Got it towed home and dismantled the engine, broke the timing chain cover after missing a bolt that I loosened but forgot to remove completely. Not impairments to the chain, moved on to remove exhaust and oil pan and found pieces of a piston ring in it. This explains intense rattling.
This comes a year after replacing the CVT and both cylinder heads and a mountain of other work just to pass inspection.
That always sucks when it seems like one thing after another. What’s the plan for it now rebuild or drop a new engine?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Got back from our trip met some disappointments with our original plans but saw some other cool things instead. Took the scenic Lake Huron drive along 23 to Ocqueoc falls which is a hidden gem state park that is tucked just south of RT 23 defintely a must see if your in the northeast Michigan area. Took a scenic drive along MI 119 and stopped at Good Hope general store which was pretty cool. Did some seasonal roads by sleeping bear dunes pyramid trail which is a lesser known area of the park but pretty awesome views and fun seasonal roads to get there. Outback did fantastic on a steep rutted hill that I almost second guessed whether I should do it but very glad I did. I got 32-33 average most of the trip making me realize how much of a hit having the box and extra weight is making on the car. I was very pleased to know it’s still getting great MPG.
Water Water resources Atmosphere Light Sky
Water Water resources Liquid Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
24 Posts
That always sucks when it seems like one thing after another. What’s the plan for it now rebuild or drop a new engine?
I am weighing a couple options. Feel free to comment, criticize, or give advice to any of theses:
1. I sell the car as is to someone who will rebuild the engine or drop a new one in. If they want to sell it or keep it, that's up to them. My asking price would be around $10,000. I know it sounds like a lot, but once it's got a new engine + the 1 year old transmission, it's practically a new car and can be resold for $17,000 - $20,000 (at least compared to the numbers I see at local used car dealers)
2. Slowly part it out as most if its components are in great working condition and even used can fetch a good amount of money. Once everything is off, I can scrap the frame. This is a very tedious and prolonged process that isn't very attractive.
3. Hold it until after the winter (here in the US) and buy a winch and a fully built long block. The cost of that including taxes and shipping is around $3000. Because I don't have a garage I try to avoid as much car work as possible during the winter. I figure with a new transmission and a new engine it would be practically a new car. So I could either keep it, sell it, or give it to my chick and sell her 09 forester to recoup the cost of the job.

·
Registered
148 Posts
wife came home saying there is some noise when applying brakes on the OB. she just drove through a big rain storm over muddy terrain so i figured it's just debris collecting. turns out the rear pads were starting to hit the wear sensors!

so installed new rear brake pads, akebono ACT ceramics, after resurfacing the factory rotors. now to wash the car...and listen to the wife the first time.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I am weighing a couple options. Feel free to comment, criticize, or give advice to any of theses:
1. I sell the car as is to someone who will rebuild the engine or drop a new one in. If they want to sell it or keep it, that's up to them. My asking price would be around $10,000. I know it sounds like a lot, but once it's got a new engine + the 1 year old transmission, it's practically a new car and can be resold for $17,000 - $20,000 (at least compared to the numbers I see at local used car dealers)
2. Slowly part it out as most if its components are in great working condition and even used can fetch a good amount of money. Once everything is off, I can scrap the frame. This is a very tedious and prolonged process that isn't very attractive.
3. Hold it until after the winter (here in the US) and buy a winch and a fully built long block. The cost of that including taxes and shipping is around $3000. Because I don't have a garage I try to avoid as much car work as possible during the winter. I figure with a new transmission and a new engine it would be practically a new car. So I could either keep it, sell it, or give it to my chick and sell her 09 forester to recoup the cost of the job.
I would say option 3 is most realistic and easy. Option 1 would be good too but I don’t think you would have an easy time getting 10,000 for a car so the blown motor but I could be wrong this is a high market and I might be way off base. You could start with 1 and then in a few months if you do t have luck get a new engine to put in it. I would part it personally it’s the most work of them all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would say option 3 is most realistic and easy. Option 1 would be good too but I don’t think you would have an easy time getting 10,000 for a car so the blown motor but I could be wrong this is a high market and I might be way off base. You could start with 1 and then in a few months if you do t have luck get a new engine to put in it. I would part it personally it’s the most work of them all.
Yeah, that's the direction I see myself going in. Parting it would mean it still sits over winter before I take it apart. Then I have to list each item online on various sites. The money would come in much slower and would be harder to quantify how much I make as I'll end up using the cash.
1 would help me get a new car faster, but if no one buys it by the spring, I will pop a new engine in it and take it from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Put in our 2012 OB Firehawk LED replacement bulbs. We put them in our daughters 2016 Crosstrek and it took almost 5 minutes. So we thought, why not? Well, Like I read on here, what a major pain to access the low beams! I went through the wheel liner but many swear words were said. No pics yet but all worked when I button everything back up. Next time I will just sell the thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Put in our 2012 OB Firehawk LED replacement bulbs. We put them in our daughters 2016 Crosstrek and it took almost 5 minutes. So we thought, why not? Well, Like I read on here, what a major pain to access the low beams! I went through the wheel liner but many swear words were said. No pics yet but all worked when I button everything back up. Next time I will just sell the thing.
I have a 2013 and so we probably have the same engine bay frame. For the longest time I though about cutting holes in the sides of the inner frame just large enough to fit my hand for easy access. Changing these bulbs are the biggest pain in the @$$ for no good reason. Did you have to remove the battery just to gain some access to the left headlight?

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Premium
1 Posts
just put on some new car shoes! GoodyearAssurance WeatherReady, first time trying Goodyear on any of my vehicles so excited to try. Replaced some Michelin defenders that probably had a few more months on them…before the bolt in the rear passenger side :]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2013 and so we probably have the same engine bay frame. For the longest time I though about cutting holes in the sides of the inner frame just large enough to fit my hand for easy access. Changing these bulbs are the biggest pain in the @$$ for no good reason. Did you have to remove the battery just to gain some access to the left headlight?
Yep, had to change the little parking light on the driver’s side also so the battery had to be moved out of the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys, does anyone have broken/damaged front grill for Outback 2013-2014? Even used one cost unreasonable money for big piece of plastic(

Equipped with travelling box, Maxbox Pro (Russian manufacturer)

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

5601 - 5620 of 5639 Posts