Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 4th Gen Outback today?

1616812 6278
I Rain-Xed the windshield (Actually, I got carried away and put Rain-X on all the windows)

I put ScotchGuard on all the seats and carpet.

I removed this warning sticker that proves the car is Japanese:

I discovered that the visors are too thick to clip my garage remote on, so I used Velcro to attach it next to the parking brake:

This afternoon, I'm going to stop by the window tint place to see if they can tint the driver and front passenger windows to match the rest of the windows.

If I have time, I'm going to remove the fog lights and paint the silver black.
6241 - 6260 of 6279 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5
138 Posts
This is a $200 4x8 HF trailer frame from facebook. Some ideas from Tventuring Adventure Trailer Forum and instagram #tventuring. Custom 3500lbs axle from a local trailer repair company. Leaf spring/axle relocation kit along with the DIY no weld bracket kit from compact camping concepts. The base is raptor lined white and the metal is from custom metals.com and is raptor lined black. Floor is composite deck flooring from lowes. The overall weight is around 400lbs and the tongue weight is 61.6lbs. I need to weigh it on an actual certified scale not a bathroom scale. RTT is roof top tent, two bars with go across the top of the trailer and there are two more that will hold the kayaks, just haven't had time to drill the holes. Overall length is 4x6' I cut the back 2' off and added a tongue from a boat trailer on facebook that was for free. Added stabilizer jacks from e-trailer and a 2' hitch for bike racks. Main issue right now is the lack of tongue weight, lots of raddling when driving empty, I am going to add a spare tire to the forward part to help get a little higher tongue weight. This is the guide I used and I did not weld anything. Tventuring Adventure Trailer Forum-How-to enhance a Harbor Freight frame for use under a DIY Camping Trailer

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,844 Posts
I replaced the tailgate lift supports.
Last winter they were weak. First cool weather we had this fall and the tailgate would not stay up.
I bought local for nearly twice the price I found online but the local autoparts offers the lifetime warranty vs months.
I know these aftermarkets won't last 10-11 years like the factory supports did. So I can exchange them when they get droopy. My past experience has been 2-3 years....sometimes 1 year.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium, CVT.
121 Posts
Got this blinky mess fixed today. Solenoid and valve body replaced. First big buck repair.
$2,000 was the cost at an independent shop that fixes Subarus and British Leyland autos. Guess if there was ever a shop that knows quirks, they are the one.

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Tachometer Gauge

·
Registered
787 Posts
View attachment 552308
Note that this is an LP exhaust.

If that flange or anything that comes before it is broken, an axle back will not solve your issue.

Hope that helped...
Thanks…ordered a replacement OEM pipe. Searched several websites that had the pipe nicely discounted but wanted to charge $300-365 for shipping that pipe. Finally found one site that discounted the price with reasonable shipping $20.
Any recommendations on LP vs Nameless for the muffler? Just interested in a bit more exhaust tone vs stock as it’s a daily driver.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium
90 Posts
Any recommendations on LP vs Nameless for the muffler? Just interested in a bit more exhaust tone vs stock as it’s a daily driver.
I went with the Nameless one just because it is more commonly shown off and I didn't know enough about the LP one to go with it. It is definitely a bit noisier than stock but not to the point where it is obnoxious to me, my passengers, or other drivers.

·
Registered
2013 OB Premium, 4-banger, 6-stick
127 Posts
This is a $200 4x8 HF trailer frame from facebook. Some ideas from Tventuring Adventure Trailer Forum and instagram #tventuring. Custom 3500lbs axle from a local trailer repair company. Leaf spring/axle relocation kit along with the DIY no weld bracket kit from compact camping concepts. The base is raptor lined white and the metal is from custom metals.com and is raptor lined black. Floor is composite deck flooring from lowes. The overall weight is around 400lbs and the tongue weight is 61.6lbs. I need to weigh it on an actual certified scale not a bathroom scale. RTT is roof top tent, two bars with go across the top of the trailer and there are two more that will hold the kayaks, just haven't had time to drill the holes. Overall length is 4x6' I cut the back 2' off and added a tongue from a boat trailer on facebook that was for free. Added stabilizer jacks from e-trailer and a 2' hitch for bike racks. Main issue right now is the lack of tongue weight, lots of raddling when driving empty, I am going to add a spare tire to the forward part to help get a little higher tongue weight. This is the guide I used and I did not weld anything. Tventuring Adventure Trailer Forum-How-to enhance a Harbor Freight frame for use under a DIY Camping Trailer
Thank you.

·
Registered
2013 OB Premium, 4-banger, 6-stick
127 Posts
I woke up at 7:00 to thirteen below zero and remembered I had to shovel my sidewalks in case I had some snail mail. I went back to sleep until 9:00, found my snow shovel under the five inches of snow and took care of business. It was now minus six out and I was out of de-icer so off to Wal-Mart. I opened the rear gate for Savvy and was reminded that, in a gas held in a container of finite volume such as a rear gate strut, pressure increases with heat but drops during cooling. And that's why I banged my head on the gate.

The other winter reminder was when I started the engine. It took two or three revs to get going. It usually starts instantly. When we got home, I hooked up the battery charger on the 2A trickle.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 6MT
39 Posts
Tune up and lowered. Spark plugs, air filter, transmission fluid, diffs. Then installed 2014 LGT struts and springs and a 19mm STi rear sway bar. Lowered it about 2" and significantly tightened up that suspension from the bouncy 2010 105k mile struts.
@Silas1128 Would love to hear more about the LGT suspension on your OB! including more pictures, please!

I've been pondering suspension work on my 2012 OB. Had my eye on the Flatout rally options, but I want ride height to stay stock or a little bit lower. So I've been looking at Bilstein shocks and various coilovers. Looking more for a 0.5-1" max drop, rather than the 2" you got with LGT parts.

Now speaking of LGT, my ultimate fantasy is to do an engine swap from N/A to the LGT's turbo. But I like my fuel mileage, especially for long distance road-tripping.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited/SAP
134 Posts
My Outback has passed its emissions inspections in both Oregon and Colorado as well as its smog inspection in Colorado. Hooray for my 9 year old car.

Anyhow, I took my Outback for a drive in the snow and further test the Nitto Nomads. So far, I am pretty happy with them. They are pretty quiet, has handled a lot of terrains, plus my gas mileage is still respectable with the mods on the car. I am currently averaging 23 mpg.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,448 Posts
Well done. Always a good feeling when you successfully get an older vehicle through the mandatory annual state inspection process without having to do any repairs. My 2013 3.6R is due this month and I expect it to pass with flying colors.

Reactions: Cascadia

·
Registered
‘12 Outback 2.5 Premium
250 Posts
Something about the '11 OB that luvs to burn out bulbs. I've become quite skilled in low beam bulb and marker bulb replacement due to yearly practice. I switched to LED low beam bulbs and hope to stop the this yearly cycle of burnt out bulbs.
I have a ‘12 now with 133,800 miles and yet to have burned out a bulb … yet. I know it’s coming one day. I’m dreading it. 70 year old arthritic hands don’t look like they can fit in there, nor can dim eyes likely peer in there to see what’s going on.

·
Registered
‘12 Outback 2.5 Premium
250 Posts
It was now minus six out and I was out of de-icer so off to Wal-Mart. I opened the rear gate for Savvy and was reminded that, in a gas held in a container of finite volume such as a rear gate strut, pressure increases with heat but drops during cooling. And that's why I banged my head on the gate.
:sneaky: I feel your pain! Happened to me yesterday. o_O

·
Registered
‘12 Outback 2.5 Premium
250 Posts
Friday, I took my ‘12 to a town an hour away to a small independent shop to get a second opinion on repairs on my car. I know the owner and trust his opinion and have heard positive comments on his work. I had taken it to a large chain shop recently to get an estimate for struts and brakes. The car has 133,800 miles today. The chain shop told me that I needed rotors, calipers, pads. I had a leaking strut. I needed lower control arms, one was cracked. After the small shop inspected my car, the talley is I only need rear pads, and at today’s prices might as well get rotors. No cracked control arms. No leaking struts. Front brakes look good. I’m still going to have the struts replaced, the car’s ride has become harsh except on smooth pavement. Frost heaves provide the dough for my chiropractor to keep making payments on his Audi.

Yesterday, I felt the pop. Again. Third time. Opened up the back of the seat, found it was the left side. When I fixed the lumbar last spring, the right side. The first time I fixed it several years ago, it was the left side.

Today, I made a 360 mile round trip to the airport in Reno to pick up my wife, who has been visiting family out of state. Did some shopping at Costco, had lunch and picked up a few things at Lowes.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a ‘12 now with 133,800 miles and yet to have burned out a bulb … yet. I know it’s coming one day. I’m dreading it. 70 year old arthritic hands don’t look like they can fit in there, nor can dim eyes likely peer in there to see what’s going on.
That’s great for you! Replacing the low beam bulbs on my ‘11 requires not only dexterity but going in blind because you can either look or stick your arm in there but not both. Installing the bulb via finger tips ;(

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just finished last night after struggling with rusty fasteners as it was time for refreshing the ‘11 Subaru Outback suspension @160k. Front & rear struts, front LCAs and end links. Rusty fasteners and parts made a routine job somewhat difficult but cutting the end links off, hammering the LCA, new suspension bolts and everything got a generous application of anti-seize. Can’t decide whether hammering the BJ out or removing the “pinch bolt” securing the BJ or removing the big 14 x 128 bolt rusted solid in the bushing was the worst part of the job as they were all bad ;)
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Musical instrument
Watch Sleeve Rectangle Material property Tints and shades
Wood Gas Engineering Auto part Cylinder
Wood Snout Electric blue Auto part Font
Tire Automotive tire Bumper Wood Tread

6241 - 6260 of 6279 Posts