Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 4th Gen Outback today?

1639052 Views 6390 Replies 1041 Participants Last post by  al4224t
I Rain-Xed the windshield (Actually, I got carried away and put Rain-X on all the windows)

I put ScotchGuard on all the seats and carpet.

I removed this warning sticker that proves the car is Japanese:

I discovered that the visors are too thick to clip my garage remote on, so I used Velcro to attach it next to the parking brake:

This afternoon, I'm going to stop by the window tint place to see if they can tint the driver and front passenger windows to match the rest of the windows.

If I have time, I'm going to remove the fog lights and paint the silver black.
6281 - 6300 of 6391 Posts

· Registered
2013 OB Premium, 4-banger, 6-stick
187 Posts
My dog and I headed out to BLM's Strawberry Hill Recreation Area this morning. The road has a few bowls you drive down into and up out of. Sometimes there's a lot of water, sometimes a lot of mud.

Today it was an inch or two of packed snow and ice. In first gear I coasted in the steep side and gave it just a little gas to climb out on the gradual side. Back on the level it was slippery and we kind of wiggled around. At the next down and back up, I chickened out, mainly because it's a little deeper, and help would take an hour or two and probably a couple hundred bucks. We backed up a hundred feet or so and found room to turn around. On the way out it was down in the bowl on the gradual side and out on the steep side. Wheels were spinning a bit but no problem.

Whatever the weather at Strawberry Hill, I am always in first gear, never in a hurry, and really appreciate my stick shift.

· Registered
2012 OB Limited 3.6Rrrrr
231 Posts
I upgraded the headunit in my 2011! Installed a Kenwood DMX907S! What a difference it makes! Love the wireless Apple CarPlay and the sound amazing with stick speakers!
Hey... nice! Curious... what made you decide to go with this HU, where there any others of interest? How do you like it after a couple months?

· Registered
187 Posts
Well, after I shoveled (Yes,shoveled!) a paltry two inches of new snow off the sidewalks and sprinkled de-icer, I disconnected my trickle charger, started up "Little Putt Putt" and cranked up the heater, getting ready for a trip to Walmart and more de-icer. Yes, in spite of the ongoing debate about warming up the engine, I say that 7° fahrenheit is fair enough reason to do so.

· Registered
187 Posts
. . . and on the way to Walmart, the tire pressure warning light came on. The cold weather dropped my tires to 25-26psi.

When we start going steady with Jack Frost, I'll pump them back up and wait for spring . . .

· Registered
11 Posts
Hello OBK friends,
I'm new member in this forum and a great enthusiastic DIY guy
It's a riddle to me that most of the cars have a big gap in the radiator cover and in the front bimper, leaving the radiator expoxed to a small gravel or other thing on the road, one hit @ 60mph of one of those things can cause a serious damage to the radiator or Front fog lights.
I made a cool and useful cover using a hard metal net, cut to size and painted black. This also gives the car more unique look.
Also spray paint the bumper and the fron bumper plastic cover.
Outback 2011 2.5S

C U around.
Vehicle Car Sky Hood Grille

· Registered
2012 OB Limited 3.6Rrrrr
231 Posts
Hello OBK friends,
I'm new member in this forum and a great enthusiastic DIY guy
It's a riddle to me that most of the cars have a big gap in the radiator cover and in the front bimper, leaving the radiator expoxed to a small gravel or other thing on the road, one hit @ 60mph of one of those things can cause a serious damage to the radiator or Front fog lights.
I made a cool and useful cover using a hard metal net, cut to size and painted black. This also gives the car more unique look.
Also spray paint the bumper and the fron bumper plastic cover.
Outback 2011 2.5S

C U around.
Looks nice... any more info on what exactly you used "hard metal net", and tips on installation?

· Registered
530 Posts
Installed a replacement CAT back exhaust system on my ‘11 OB 161K tonight. Got a lucky break with the rusty bolts as no cutting was needed. Found one Subaru website that shipped the OEM rear pipe section (over 6ft) for $21 vs other quotes of $300 or more. The first thing I did was replace the broken metal hanger that supports the CAT to keep the front pipe and CAT steady. That broken metal hanger was the source of all the noise under the OB and endangered the integrity of the front pipes and CAT. Next was the installation of the mid-rear pipe after the CAT and then the 5”Nameless muffler. Tools that made the job easier: M12 impact wrench and exhaust hanger wrench. Ordered OEM CAT gasket, flange bolt x2, metal exhaust hanger and reused the exhaust springs.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Vacuum cleaner Tread Wheel
Grey Font Wood Asphalt Concrete
Gas Auto part Wood Metal Pipe
Tool Hand tool Font Household hardware Slip joint pliers

· Registered
187 Posts
Yesterday, the temp was 7° F and my low tire pressure warning light came on. Fronts should be at 32psi and rears at 30psi.

I checked and all four tires were at 25 or 26. It was too cold yesterday to be working outside without gloves. Today it was a tropical 27° so I grabbed my tire pump and aired them all up.

The warning light turned off after I did just the rear tires.

I read the owners manual and nothing says how low the pressure has to be before the warning light comes on. So that's one mystery.

The other is, why wasn't the pressure low enough to activate the warning light in the winter of 2017 when it didn't get warmer than five below zero for more than two months? I assume, from what the manual doesn't say, the sensors at the wheels aren't precise. I wonder if they are even all the same or is it just a ball park estimate.

Maybe as winter approaches, I'll have to add more air and then let it out when spring arrives. I'm going to log the pressures every week.

· Registered
11 Posts
Looks nice... any more info on what exactly you used "hard metal net", and tips on installation?
Hello there.
You can search for "rhombus metal mesh for cage " to see where to buy one that meets your needs (thickness, shape etc...)
for the FOG lights I took off the plastic cover, cut the mesh to size slightly bigger than the cover, pace it on the opening of a round metal can in the diameter of the fog light, and gently press/hit it to a round dome shape using a light hammer or even your fingers..
the Radiator mesh I cut it to a bigger size than the opening, bent it by pressing it againt a wide metel poll to disired shape measue on the car and gave it a final shaping by hand. (pay attention, I used the mesh natural metal flexability to hold it in place' you can add some small scew to extra safe.)
After all bending and shaping is done, clean the mesh to remove any greasing and paint it with anti-rust spary paint as 1st coat, than spray paint with desired color.
I also added a final top coat of clear coat.
wish you a fun DIY, post some pict. of the results, and speard the fun.
have a great day.

· Registered
187 Posts
Yesterday, the temp was 7° F and my low tire pressure warning light came on. Fronts should be at 32psi and rears at 30psi.

I checked and all four tires were at 25 or 26. It was too cold yesterday to be working outside without gloves. Today it was a tropical 27° so I grabbed my tire pump and aired them all up.

The warning light turned off after I did just the rear tires.

I read the owners manual and nothing says how low the pressure has to be before the warning light comes on. So that's one mystery.

The other is, why wasn't the pressure low enough to activate the warning light in the winter of 2017 when it didn't get warmer than five below zero for more than two months? I assume, from what the manual doesn't say, the sensors at the wheels aren't precise. I wonder if they are even all the same or is it just a ball park estimate.

Maybe as winter approaches, I'll have to add more air and then let it out when spring arrives. I'm going to log the pressures every week.
Just thinking to myself, maybe the extreme cold of five years ago completely disabled the low tire pressure sensors . . . .

· Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,513 Posts
^^ Yep, and that is why the old adage "check your tire pressures monthly" is essentially worthless during the change of seasons in many parts of the country. I have always checked them weekly, and sometimes even that is not often enough.

6281 - 6300 of 6391 Posts