Subaru Outback Forums banner

5861 - 5868 of 5868 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
28 Posts
Washed it yesterday for the first time in about 4 months. Already covered in tree stuff as of this morning.

Other stuff done in the past couple months includes RSR/Bilstein B6 install, SuperPros bumpsteer kit, Apexi air filter and dipped wheels.

Post-wash, pre-dip photo included for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abrth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
175 Posts
So finally have Falken Wildpeak ATs on order to be fitted Friday, so I figured I would go ahead and order the LP Adventure lift as well. Keeping the standard 18's on the car as they suit it nicely for now. So now all I can do is wait I guess......

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abrth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
175 Posts
Hitch swap day today.

Decided to move up to a 2" receiver from the OE Subaru 1.25" receiver hitch. I picked the Curt from etrailer for $129.99 because I didn't see any reason to spend more for any of the other options. I actually liked that main tube of the Curt isn't left wide open like some of the other ones seem to be. On the Curt there is an end plate with just on small hole in each end that could be easily plugged to keep dirt, salt, and whatever from getting inside.

Because I already had the Subaru hitch installed I did not have a rear bumper beam, which gets discarded when the factory hitch is installed. Of course I am kicking myself now for not asking for it back when I had the hitch installed prior to delivery when it was new. I ended up buying one on eBay for about $100 including shipping. I didn't think to ask if they had one from a blue Outback and ended up with a white one.

View attachment 484414

No problem. I made it black with a rattle can. No scuffing or cleaning or prep--just sprayed it as it came.

View attachment 484415

The bumper cover removal was no problem at all and it was off the car in about 15 minutes, maybe even less.
Removing the Subaru hitch turned out to be a lot tougher than I had anticipated. I removed the four nuts on each side and it was still mounted in place solid as could be. Turns out there is an additional brace that goes up inside each frame rail with two bolts each side that are accessed from underneath. Passenger side was no problem, but one bolt on the driver's side is not only above the muffler, but also hidden under the heat shield. I was able to leave the muffler in place and remove three bolts from the heat shield and get just enough access to remove the bolt with a ratcheting wrench.

View attachment 484416

I took one picture with the new hitch set in place temporarily to make sure it fit, but then a neighbor stopped by for a bit and I forgot to take any more pictures until everything was all back together.

View attachment 484417

Before I installed the hitch for good I sprayed some internal frame coating inside of the main tube. The coating comes with a hose with a nozzle on the end which I inserted through the previously mentioned 1/2" hole in each end.

View attachment 484418 View attachment 484419

I also had a partial can of Amber Anti Rust Coating that was enough to cover pretty much the entire outer surface of the new hitch. It is kind of a waxy substance that stays a little soft. I mostly wanted all of the welded areas covered but put a light coat over the whole thing except the exposed part of the receiver tube itself, because if I put it there it would end up all over my hands when inserting the hitch pin.

View attachment 484420

It all went together pretty easily, with just a few minutes scratching my head trying to figure out why I had two small 10mm head bolts left over. Eventually I figured out they were from the bracket for the wiring plug on the OE hitch. I'm not 100% sure yet but I think I'm not going to leave the connector outside of the car. For now I tucked it back up inside the spare tire well from underneath and put a piece of Gorilla Tape over the hole until I can find a plug that is the right size. For as seldom I use the trailer wiring I would rather leave it protected in the car and just run it out through the rear gate when I need it. I did that with my Ford Escape and never had a problem with the plug corroding or the wires cracking from exposure to the elements.

I haven't mounted anything to the hitch yet but it should be ready to go. I'm not sure what my plans are for the Subaru hitch, but I have a few ideas tickling my brain about re-purposing it for something.

View attachment 484421
So you have the bumper support on as well as the towhitch? I recently swapped the 1.25 to a Curt 2". Didnt see this fitment sadly as it looks much easy than the under car one I ended up with. Not a big deal though, just a nice touch I wish I had known of.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Replaced a failed CVT cooler line, hopefully fixed a minor dash rattle, quickly cleaned the interior, and then removed the front under spoiler. I think I prefer it this way to be uniform with the rest of the black cladding.

5861 - 5868 of 5868 Posts