Subaru Outback Forums banner

6261 - 6280 of 6322 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Buddy,
You did your research and I say go for it! Do all of them!

RE: "I'd have to have my low beams on and I'd think that the yellow lights wouldn't do much more than white lights in that situation (being washed out by the low-beams which have to be on)."

The SS3 Pro's are the brightest on the market. 11K Candela's, 2,700 Lumen. Almost 4 times brighter than Baja Design Squadrons. The SS3 Pro lights in yellow are not washed out by the low beams.

I uploaded a POV to facebook. Look for it on Diode Dynamics post that advertises the release of the product.

Good luck!

@Legalizeit I've been thinking of doing the same with my Outback.

From everything I've read the fog lights on the Outback are more accessory lights than actual fogs lights in their implementation (meaning: they come on with the normal low beams). That leads me to thinking to just get white accessory lights as in actual fog, I'd have to have my low beams on and I'd think that the yellow lights wouldn't do much more than white lights in that situation (being washed out by the low-beams which have to be on).

Along those lines I've thought:
  • Upgrade the fog lights on my Outback to white fog lights (really accessory lights) from diode dynamics
  • get actual fog lights (yellow) on a different switch to bolt to my LP bumper guard for when I'm in the woods (not street legal because: USA)
  • make a similar change to the rear reflectors and make them "rear fog lights" for when I'm in the woods (not street legal because: USA)

All that being said, I'm curious what you think of the lights so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aight!!

So- a write up on your progression is in our future?

Illuminate us on your thoughts from OEM bulbs, to led replacements and then the pods.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Fog light thoughts... I progressed from OEM, to SLF yellow led bulbs, to the new SS3 Pro led pods.

OEM = 500 lumens. Adequate.
Better than nothing!

SLF led bulbs = 780 lumens. Better.
50% brighter and offers a sporty look or color match the kelvins of your lights. Clean and modern by going white, or sporty with the yellow. Still maintains factory look and the light focus was correct. The only con is that it does not get hot, so might be an issue for snow and ice conditions. Great factory looking upgrade.

SS3 Pro fog light kit = 2,700 lumens. Best. Wow!!! 🤩
Diode has a youtube video that compares the yellow fogs with the top options. Great video, highly recommend watching. These fogs make a bright and wide beam giving great peripheral views. These make your fogs extremely functional as fog lights or cornering lights. If you looking for hard to find side streets, signs, etc... then you will love this. The beam will flows deep into the entry of those hard to find dirt streets. My buddy's stated that it was like a UFO was coming at them. I'm glad I finally found out how to turn off the reactive fog light setting on the car, because I think these should not be on all the time. Also these pod lights also get hot, so that's a plus when driving in the snow to prevent ice build up.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
I'm glad I finally found out how to turn off the reactive fog light setting on the car, because I think these should not be on all the time.
I remember reading about a way to permanently disable the steering responsive fog lights--is that what you are talking about? I currently run with my fog lights on all the time because I hate the steering responsive fogs so much. I want to upgrade my fog light bulbs but anything I would switch to would probably be annoying to oncoming cars if I have them on all the time. Is there an easy way to permanently shut off the steering responsive fog lights?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
18 Posts
if anyone is wondering how long a wood slab you can it in an outback, the answer is 108"'

I also tried to install the JDM triple horns, but failed since they didn't have instructions and it wasn't obvious to me where the 3rd horn is supposed to go.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Removed the hood and gate struts to put different grease in the cups. One of the hood struts is noticeably weaker than the other, so that’s something to keep an eye on I guess.

the main thing was modifying the vanity light LEDs... too bright. Turned sideways they really don’t give enough even illumination. Too lazy to order ones that are single chip SMD lights and I had 1/4” shrink tube already. Much more even light as the emitter is pointed directly forward, and it’s not blinding at night.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
427 Posts
if anyone is wondering how long a wood slab you can it in an outback, the answer is 108"'
View attachment 496449

I also tried to install the JDM triple horns, but failed since they didn't have instructions and it wasn't obvious to me where the 3rd horn is supposed to go.
I bet you could have gotten to 113 if you had taken the lumber all the way up on top of the dash though. Just saying

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
How did you wash the engine bay? Spray everything down and wash while engine is idling? Did you bag up anything?
Sprayed down a stopped, cool engine with diluted (~10%) Simple Green solution with a spray bottle; tried to cover the entire bay with solution. No plastic covers etc. used. Used a garden hose with spray nozzle to wash off after less than 5 minutes soak time. I have a DataVac electric duster that I use to blow dry the engine as much as possible. Then I take it for a drive to get rid of the balance of the moisture. Pretty innocuous vs. having to take the distributor cap off and cover the distributor with a sandwich bag on my Brat, for example!

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
158 Posts
Hey Buddy,
You did your research and I say go for it! Do all of them!

RE: "I'd have to have my low beams on and I'd think that the yellow lights wouldn't do much more than white lights in that situation (being washed out by the low-beams which have to be on)."

The SS3 Pro's are the brightest on the market. 11K Candela's, 2,700 Lumen. Almost 4 times brighter than Baja Design Squadrons. The SS3 Pro lights in yellow are not washed out by the low beams.

I uploaded a POV to facebook. Look for it on Diode Dynamics post that advertises the release of the product.

Good luck!
You've convinced me. I'm going for the Diode Dynamics yellow. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,358 Posts
I made that mistake in my element. It turns out the windshield is pretty brittle when tapped on the inside with an 80lb slab of lumber.
Sorry to hear that. FWIW it doesn't have to be 80 lbs. and actually tap the windshield - 1/2" x 4" is more than enough if it's a dense enough hardwood:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Got my AWD logos in the mail. Need the blackout the support bars and mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sent this member a message but no response. I would love to find one of these AWD emblems in gold but I'm having trouble. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I sent this member a message but no response. I would love to find one of these AWD emblems in gold but I'm having trouble. Can anyone help?
I was thinking about your plan to get 18" wheels in lighter weight and noticed a current listing by member hot_h2o for some really cool Method Race 503s. These weigh only 16.5 pounds in 17", and are flow formed, which I understand to be a superior technology to standard casting. Anyway, his photos will give you a good idea of how they would look on your Outback. I love my MR 501s, but these are like 7 pounds less each! Amazing!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
27 Posts
This was actually a few days ago, but I replaced both rear struts (one was leaking at only 52k miles!). The dealer quoted almost $500 to replace just one strut. For $400 I did both sides myself, and with much better parts! Rallitek overload springs and Bilstein B6 shocks. It's a great combo if you're looking for a change. 2015 Outback 2.5 Limited.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
18 Posts
This was actually a few days ago, but I replaced both rear struts (one was leaking at only 52k miles!). The dealer quoted almost $500 to replace just one strut. For $400 I did both sides myself, and with much better parts! Rallitek overload springs and Bilstein B6 shocks. It's a great combo if you're looking for a change. 2015 Outback 2.5 Limited.
I'm interested to hear how it affects the ride quality and handling.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of how they mounted an aftermarket relay box for their lights,winches etc? Wanting to mount some aftermarket lights but couldn't find an example through search feature

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Silver Ice Metallic
37 Posts
I'm interested to hear how it affects the ride quality and handling.
View attachment 496741
interested in how the ride feels as well. I just emailed Bilstein and they actually said to use only OEM springs with the B6. they actually put that in ALL CAPS, lol
perhaps for liability reasons?

·
Registered
2016 OB / 2008 Impreza / 1985 FJ60
158 Posts
View attachment 496741
Curious to know how the ride is with them shocks...
I run the rallytek overload springs with the stock shocks and the ride is somewhat stiff when empty but ubber nice when loaded..... are these springs stiffer than stock... or with a more controlled reboud... just curious.....
Crazy how much a stealership wants for a 2 banana job.....

6261 - 6280 of 6322 Posts