Subaru Outback Forums banner

6281 - 6300 of 6322 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
so this is just a silly idea, but I just did this this morning.
Alot of us like that JDM grill with the all black, and I agree its better than stock... but it bothered me that it looks like a cheap mesh grill.
Then I thought... wouldnt it be cool if the mesh was little subaru logos? so from a few feet away, it was still black mesh, but up close it would be the Subaru logo.

So I whipped this up real quick. ignore the crappy printing, I did stop it mid print (I needed my printer for something important and figured this was thick enough to get theidea).
Obviously I would do this in black, its just red because that was already in the printer. Mouse in pic for scale.

My idea is to replace the bars in the stock grill with my custom mesh, keeping the OEM chrome rim... then either keeping or fabbing the "blockoff" in the back..

·
Registered
196 Posts
so this is just a silly idea, but...

My idea is to replace the bars in the stock grill with my custom mesh"

DO
IT

Consider light pod mounts while you're in there, fwiw. Been something if like to do, too.

And while you're at it, why don't you come in on Sunday, too. Yeah. That'd be great.

/Derp. Looking forward to pics

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
158 Posts
What did I do? Based on the post from @Legalizeit, I went and got some Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Yellow fog lights and got them installed today.

"Well that sounds like you didn't do it yourself!"
- Nope. I didn't. I had the full-bumper guard on from LP Aventure so getting up in there seemed like it was going to be more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with (I'm 50yo - I have had plenty of experience working on cars - If it's not dead-on simple and will only take me 10-30mins, I'd rather just pay someone to do it at this point in my life) so I got All Pro in Atlanta to knock it out for me.

The All Pro guys are great. I'm pleased with the results.

This has me changing my thoughts on what I was going to do. With the "built-in" yellow fog lights I feel like they're more functional now than ornamental. They really felt like a "Look - I can light up 10-20ft in front of you and the lights look shiny"- before and that was AFTER I switched the bulbs out from stock (incandescent) to LED (Philips H11s).

Now they look like proper fog lights and I'll see how they work in actual inclement weather before proceeding. I'm not going for the full-offroad look for my Outback. I'm going for, what I think the 4XPedition channel on YouTube stated, "something that can go off into the woods but looks perfectly fine picking up a business associate at the airport."

Further lights will need to earn their place and I've considered:
  • front LED bar
  • ditch lights (I have the LP mounting points for them but am still deciding on whether to use them)
  • MAYBE a light up on the roof
  • maybe a chase light bar - I actually like this one the best as I've been in that situation where the dust is so bad that you can't see the car in front of you and I'd really like people behind me to see me.

All of that requires taking the next leap which is something like a sPod (4x4spod.com).

Right now? I think the fog lights may take care of what I need because it's pretty rare when I'm deep in the woods when it's dark out. Still... Things could change.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
so this is just a silly idea, but I just did this this morning.
Alot of us like that JDM grill with the all black, and I agree its better than stock... but it bothered me that it looks like a cheap mesh grill.
Then I thought... wouldnt it be cool if the mesh was little subaru logos? so from a few feet away, it was still black mesh, but up close it would be the Subaru logo.

So I whipped this up real quick. ignore the crappy printing, I did stop it mid print (I needed my printer for something important and figured this was thick enough to get theidea).
Obviously I would do this in black, its just red because that was already in the printer. Mouse in pic for scale.

My idea is to replace the bars in the stock grill with my custom mesh, keeping the OEM chrome rim... then either keeping or fabbing the "blockoff" in the back..
I like the concept. It will be interesting to see the outcome. I'm also one who wasn't all that crazy about the home-improvement store look of the mesh in the JDM grille. I posted a couple of pictures of my own alternative but I never did get around to putting up any of the pictures of the creation and assembly process.

This was the starting point. In my opinion the ugliest of the Gen 5 grilles for the Outback. I didn't want to cut up the stock grille in case my plan didn't work out so I bought an aftermarket replacement to have something to work with. I considered making the entire thing from scratch but that would have been a bit trickier and a lot more time consuming.

What I wanted was a tube grille and I looked at a lot of different materials before going with 1/2" electrical conduit. Bending it in a radius that matched that of the original grille turned out to be a little tougher than I expected. I have a small slip-roll that I thought would work but it wouldn't open up wide enough for the conduit to fit through. A regular conduit bender wouldn't work for the rather shallow radius I was looking for. I found a couple of different tools that would work but I didn't want to spend much money for a one-time project.

I ended up making a jig to use on my hydraulic press. It wasn't perfect but it got the job done.

I cut the entire center section out of the aftermarket grille I added two pieces of vertical flat bar for attaching points for the tubing. Here is a picture of all of the pieces scuffed up and ready for paint.

And another of all of the pieces painted with black trim paint.

The horizontal tubes were attached to the vertical flat bar with pop rivets.

Another piece of flat bar with studs welded to the back was added as a mount for an emblem.

I looked at a lot of emblems but didn't find a Subaru or Pleiades one that fit the look I wanted. I ended up with one of the gold "Outback" emblems that I think was used around the late 90's or so. I like it, but if I do later find something I like even better it is easily changed, even if I need to make a different size mounting plate which is just bolted in place.

It isn't perfect, but I've had it on the car for a few months now I think and I like it far better than the stock grille or the JDM grille. And it isn't likely I will see another one like it in a parking lot.

I had to pull it off after the initial install because somehow I didn't notice that when I tightened the nuts on the back side of the emblem mount it spread the tubes apart. You can see the tubes spread apart in this picture.

I also had to tweak a couple of the tubes to even up the spacing a little and in the process a couple of the rivets loosened up. As a fix I used some black silicone caulk to stabilize the tubes. I also filled the ends of each tube with the black silicone to keep water from getting inside of them and rusting them out from the inside. Overall I'm happy with the results but in the process of making this one I have some ideas for making a different one as well if I ever feel ambitious enough to take it on.

A co-worker suggested that I should do the lower grille area in the bumper to match the upper one. I might look at that idea as well.

·
Registered
2016 OB / 2008 Impreza / 1985 FJ60
158 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Thanks for the idea.. I been wanting to install a light bar into the grill and this may give me some options....
I dont want to have a tube hanging infront of the grill for a light bar
If I do decide to make another custom grille for mine I might incorporate lights of some sort in it as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Husky floor mats in and out on the harbor freight rack but spacing off a bit for the oem crossbars so likely returning it and will go with the oem.
5D4E9DC4-25F1-4FF8-83E6-ACC5EB67B343.jpeg

·
Registered
Subaru Outback Sport 2.5l 2020 (2019 in the US)
3 Posts
Thanks to all of your postings I decided to order my own Outback. It's my first Subaru and I already loving it after my first ride. Came out that it isn't so easy to find something off the road in Germany without breaking any law. Luckily I bought an 4wd so the small ditch they made so that no one drives on that property wasn't a real challenge.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks to all of your postings I decided to order my own Outback. It's my first Subaru and I already loving it after my first ride. Came out that it isn't so easy to find something off the road in Germany without breaking any law. Luckily I bought an 4wd so the small ditch they made so that no one drives on that property wasn't a real challenge.
View attachment 497380
Welcome, friend! Please let us know about your future Subaru adventures, if possible with photos of your beautiful country.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,161 Posts
Came out that it isn't so easy to find something off the road in Germany without breaking any law.
It's actually the same in the U.S. with respect to privately-owned land. The difference is that the U.S. is so big that the government still owns large tracts of land, and a large portion of that land is set aside for publicly-accessible parks and wilderness areas.

Reactions: Crannock

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It would interest me to know, how many other Subarus do you see in Germany?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Put the winter tires back on today. Back to the steel wheels and Cooper Weathermasters again.
I was hoping to get more time in the snow with the Falken Wildpeaks to see how they do but I had the time to do the swap and didn't really want to put it off any longer.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Put the winter tires back on today. Back to the steel wheels and Cooper Weathermasters again.
I was hoping to get more time in the snow with the Falken Wildpeaks to see how they do but I had the time to do the swap and didn't really want to put it off any longer.

View attachment 497415
Be careful....that looks like some pretty deep snow.... :)

Reactions: Danver

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The last 3 or 4 months I only saw 1 Subaru Forester.
But I do know 2 other Subaru's in my area - one older Forester and a Levorg.

It's easier to find a Ram 1500 or a Mercedes /8
I recall that a German visitor at my workplace some years (15?) ago told us that Forester had a market among forest rangers and hunters, who have legal access to wilderness areas, and want a relatively cheap AWD. But in the contemporary market, with all the SUV's (and small pickups?), maybe there is more competition in the AWD segment ?

Google is showing me Subaru sales in German of well under 10K/year, hard to imagine for us in the USA where they are around 700K.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback Sport 2.5l 2020 (2019 in the US)
3 Posts
that Forester had a market among forest rangers and hunters, who have legal access to wilderness areas
Right. Most of our Forest is controlled by a forest ranger and a hunter. So they are allowed to drive into the forest - no one else.
The fine for driving on unpaved roads are from 25€ up to 25.000€. It depends on if it's just a forest/track across the fields or a nature reserve.

But in the contemporary market, with all the SUV's (and small pickups?), maybe there is more competition in the AWD segment ?
Most people do not really need or want a 4wd. Some SUVs just have it. It's more likely that this SUVs are looking good or it's easier to get in the car(or out).
And I guess the biggest "problem" for Subaru is, that no one knows that they exist. I have never seen any sort of advertisement from Subaru or any dealer.
Within a radius of 80km (50miles) there are like ~7 Subaru dealers. As comparison: 50 BMW, 42 Mercedes, 45 VW,...

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Be careful....that looks like some pretty deep snow.... :)
It almost got the best of me the next morning. It turned to a freezing rain/snow mix overnight. Apparently after 40 years of winter driving I have finally become one of those people who forgets about slippery roads over the summer.:ROFLMAO: About a mile from home on my way to work this morning I hit ice on a bad curve and almost hit the ditch going way too fast for conditions. Then within another couple of miles, still going too fast, I came upon a tree lying across my lane. I didn't dare hit the brakes because the road was still extremely slippery in spots but I managed to ease my way into the oncoming lane to get around it and only ran over some small debris. Somebody before me must have hit it a bit more directly because there were pieces of the tree scattered for a couple of hundred yards further down the road.

6281 - 6300 of 6322 Posts