Subaru Outback Forums banner

6301 - 6320 of 6322 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,161 Posts
Apparently after 40 years of winter driving I have finally become one of those people who forgets about slippery roads over the summer.
I resemble that. It's often the slick stuff you don't see (or can't see) that gets you in trouble.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
I resemble that. It's often the slick stuff you don't see (or can't see) that gets you in trouble.
I know that back when I was still doing collision repair it was those first couple of snowfalls and slippery roads that would generate a huge amount of work for us. It often takes a couple of reminders and close calls before people slow down a little for bad roads. It seems I may have slipped into that category now as well (pun intended).

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I know that back when I was still doing collision repair it was those first couple of snowfalls and slippery roads that would generate a huge amount of work for us. It often takes a couple of reminders and close calls before people slow down a little for bad roads. It seems I may have slipped into that category now as well (pun intended).
I think at one point or another we have all been over confident in our driving skills when challenging mother nature. Mother nature has a way of usually winning.

Reactions: pamahar

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm glad my input helped, which this community is all about!

Do you have the LP skid plate? I'm interested in a protecting my Fumoto oil drain valve, but I want fast access to the front jacking point. Does the skid plate cover it or give access? The jack point is the exposed subframe centrally located about 1-2 feet from the front of the car.

Thanks!

What did I do? Based on the post from @Legalizeit, I went and got some Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Yellow fog lights and got them installed today.

"Well that sounds like you didn't do it yourself!"
- Nope. I didn't. I had the full-bumper guard on from LP Aventure so getting up in there seemed like it was going to be more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with (I'm 50yo - I have had plenty of experience working on cars - If it's not dead-on simple and will only take me 10-30mins, I'd rather just pay someone to do it at this point in my life) so I got All Pro in Atlanta to knock it out for me.

The All Pro guys are great. I'm pleased with the results.

This has me changing my thoughts on what I was going to do. With the "built-in" yellow fog lights I feel like they're more functional now than ornamental. They really felt like a "Look - I can light up 10-20ft in front of you and the lights look shiny"- before and that was AFTER I switched the bulbs out from stock (incandescent) to LED (Philips H11s).

Now they look like proper fog lights and I'll see how they work in actual inclement weather before proceeding. I'm not going for the full-offroad look for my Outback. I'm going for, what I think the 4XPedition channel on YouTube stated, "something that can go off into the woods but looks perfectly fine picking up a business associate at the airport."

Further lights will need to earn their place and I've considered:
  • front LED bar
  • ditch lights (I have the LP mounting points for them but am still deciding on whether to use them)
  • MAYBE a light up on the roof
  • maybe a chase light bar - I actually like this one the best as I've been in that situation where the dust is so bad that you can't see the car in front of you and I'd really like people behind me to see me.

All of that requires taking the next leap which is something like a sPod (4x4spod.com).

Right now? I think the fog lights may take care of what I need because it's pretty rare when I'm deep in the woods when it's dark out. Still... Things could change.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
158 Posts
I'm glad my input helped, which this community is all about!

Do you have the LP skid plate? I'm interested in a protecting my Fumoto oil drain valve, but I want fast access to the front jacking point. Does the skid plate cover it or give access? The jack point is the exposed subframe centrally located about 1-2 feet from the front of the car.

Thanks!
I have the skid plate + the front bumper guard w/ full bumper guard (the brush guard with plates on it).

I don't know where the front jack point is. The side jack points are all there and not covered by the skid plate.

The bumper guard + plates (full guard) will likely cover any front jack point.

I have the skid plate with the hole(s) for draining the oil. I have a Fumoto valve but haven't put it on, yet. I thought that the straight plug might be easier to deal with going through that hole in the skid plate.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
Put the winter tires back on today.
And just like clockwork I got my annual email letting me know that my TPMS light came on and that I might have a low tire.

I'm just glad it doesn't send me a message every day between now and April letting me know the light is on. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Silver Ice Metallic
37 Posts
Just installed Bilstein B6 in the rear and a huge difference, as expected, with dampening. No more bump steer even with the 19mm RSB, very smooth control and comfort, and great feedback. The high-speed compression dampening was always lacking on the stock shocks and it is very much improved with a mono-shock design over a twin-tube setup. Definitely a worthy upgrade for anyone, regardless if your stock ones are worn out. Wish I would have done this a long time ago and can't wait to get the fronts done as well.
did you re-use your stock springs with the B6's? ie: didn't buy new ones.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
427 Posts
Hauled 10 bags of cow manure and 3 bags of azealea food/dirt

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Because that's what everyone buys a 3.6 Touring to do. (LOL)

Also, activated my new Google Pixel 4a. As expected, Android Auto is back online. My Pixel 2XL with a couple years of beta updates just needed to go.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5i Premium
84 Posts
Used my new "toy" (Viair 88p air compressor) to fill up the spare tire. It's supposed to be at 60psi and I found it at 40 (it's been many months since I last checked it). The Viair worked great - took about a minute or so to bring it back up to where it needed to be. Worked much faster than the old compressor that had to be plugged into the lighter socket (this one clamps directly to the the battery and bypasses all of the electronics in the car). It's also more compact and fits nicely into the spare tire stroage area (styrofoam insert removed long ago).

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
630 Posts
Used my Kobalt air compressor to fill up the four main tires. We're in the middle of a cold snap and they were all 6-8 psi low. The Kobalt worked great - it's an eight-gallon "hot dog" compressor. So much nicer having it in my garage instead of having to run to a gas station and maybe drop a quarter to run their machine.

Only slightly in jest, I really did the above on the same day as AJ.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
460 Posts
Used my new "toy" (Viair 88p air compressor) to fill up the spare tire. It's supposed to be at 60psi and I found it at 40 (it's been many months since I last checked it). The Viair worked great - took about a minute or so to bring it back up to where it needed to be. Worked much faster than the old compressor that had to be plugged into the lighter socket (this one clamps directly to the the battery and bypasses all of the electronics in the car). It's also more compact and fits nicely into the spare tire stroage area (styrofoam insert removed long ago).
60 psi in a spare???....
Sounds like that is the"max" tire vpressure rating, which is not correct for most vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.0 Diesel
13 Posts
The custom made, carbon/kevlar composite engine under guard (also covering the transmission) and OEM differantial under guard (steel) mounting was done. ✌ 😎😊

Finally, I can go offroad with %50 peace of mind 😋

The last thing to do to reach %100 peace of mind is a lifting job 🙌

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5i Premium
84 Posts
Wow didn't realize that! Thanks
Probably need to check ours then lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Look on the sticker on the drivers side door pillar - recommended pressure for the 17" stock sized tires ( 225/65R17)is 33/35 psi and for the stock spare 60psi.

6301 - 6320 of 6322 Posts