Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
7101 - 7120 of 7151 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I feel for you...... totally sucks.... I kinda always felt safe that no one would be interested in keying an Outback, guess I was wrong.....

CHECK THIS LINK OUT! GOTTA LOVE PEOPLE

Tesla cameras capture elderly lady scratching car in row over parking spot
Not in my Outback but in the car I had before the Outback, I had the craziest thing happen like that...
So you know those dual turning lanes at intersections. And that classic thing where the person in the outside lane cuts to the inside lane and just drives into the car? So this guy side swipes me. No big deal. Kind of a pain in the butt but car goes in the shop no problem, they do a wonderful job painting it. It really was just the paintwork.
I'm outside with the guy that normally does the handoffs and the owner of the shop. As I walk around the car I see the other side of the car has these massive scratches running down the entire side of the car like somebody just keyed up my car.
What the ****?
The guy walks around it is just as shocked. He absolutely exclaims that this car was perfect 10 minutes ago. What the ****?!

The owner goes back inside and comes out about 5 minutes later. Did not take him long at all.

Apparently some lady, some random lady, carrying a car seat cut between the dealership next door, to go to the dealership across the street. So she took this car seat and just let it drag... Not just on my car, but all the other cars she walked by.

We're talking a good 10 or 12 cars with scratches all the way down the side like someone keyed it.

They took care of it no problem and I basically had the whole car repainted at that point.

People are crazy.

·
Registered
2016, OB, 3.6R, Limited, Crystal White Pearl
175 Posts
Not in my Outback but in the car I had before the Outback, I had the craziest thing happen like that...
So you know those dual turning lanes at intersections. And that classic thing where the person in the outside lane cuts to the inside lane and just drives into the car? So this guy side swipes me. No big deal. Kind of a pain in the butt but car goes in the shop no problem, they do a wonderful job painting it. It really was just the paintwork.
I'm outside with the guy that normally does the handoffs and the owner of the shop. As I walk around the car I see the other side of the car has these massive scratches running down the entire side of the car like somebody just keyed up my car.
What the ****?
The guy walks around it is just as shocked. He absolutely exclaims that this car was perfect 10 minutes ago. What the ****?!

The owner goes back inside and comes out about 5 minutes later. Did not take him long at all.

Apparently some lady, some random lady, carrying a car seat cut between the dealership next door, to go to the dealership across the street. So she took this car seat and just let it drag... Not just on my car, but all the other cars she walked by.

We're talking a good 10 or 12 cars with scratches all the way down the side like someone keyed it.

They took care of it no problem and I basically had the whole car repainted at that point.

People are crazy.
I could never own something again that was really special to me. My last special car to me was a Grand National, I couldn't enjoy it, I was so worried about it, I was more excited to part with it then when I brought it home. I really enjoy my 6 year old OB but, I don't have the same worries, and "Oh what a relief" and I'm a "Car Guy" at heart.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yesterday I finally got some me time to work on the car.
Changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, greased the front calipers, rotated the tires, but most importantly, I aired up the spare tire... dont forget to refill it once in awhile guys... mine was at 35psi, and its supposed to be at 60psi.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
286 Posts
dont forget to refill it once in awhile guys... mine was at 35psi, and its supposed to be at 60psi.
Oh that reminded me of something. I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to check a cabin air filter. As well as something that really gets neglected and is super simple and inexpensive to do - clean the Mass Airflow Sensor, your engine will be thankful for it (I do that with each oil change):

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh that reminded me of something. I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to check a cabin air filter. As well as something that really gets neglected and is super simple and inexpensive to do - clean the Mass Airflow Sensor, your engine will be thankful for it (I do that with each oil change):
Related to that, if you change to an oiled air filter, like a K&N, be sure to clean the MAF sensor after driving a couple thousand miles... and then, like he said, repeat every oil change... just a spray with MAF cleaner is all you need.

I did my cabin filter a couple weeks ago when I cleaned my blower motor out and re-greased it, but it should really be done about each oil change.

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
453 Posts
Aargh!!
I had to get some 6' steel T-post type fenceposts at the Orange Box today... carried em home okay, but I managed to pick one up off-balance, and the end of the bloody thing swung up and put a ragged 1" rip in Wanderlust's headliner.

/me is bummed.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2016, OB, 3.6R, Limited, Crystal White Pearl
175 Posts
Aargh!!
I had to get some 6' steel T-post type fenceposts at the Orange Box today... carried em home okay, but I managed to pick one up off-balance, and the end of the bloody thing swung up and put a ragged 1" rip in Wanderlust's headliner.

/me is bummed.
That's too bad, especially when you are the one responsible; however, if you ever thought of swapping out your roof rack with any other kind of system now might be the time seeing how the headliner probably has to come down to properly repair.... just sayin'. hope your find an easy fix for it.....

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,757 Posts
With COVID-19 and not driving as much, I skipped replacing cabin air and engine air filters last year and didn't get around to it this summer. The filters I'd bought on Amazon had been floating around the house for 16 months. I finally swapped them out this morning. They were filthy!

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
665 Posts
Probably not as happy a chore as most on this thread --

Tonight I cleaned out the OB in preparation for possibly trading him in on a new WRX.

I really have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I really enjoy the OB. I LIKE to go down a dirt road now and then just to see where it goes. And we have some looooong dirt roads in this part of New Mexico. But I just can't be "on the hook" for $9K US in case the transmission goes bad after the warranty expires.

I just hope I can find a forum for the WRX that's as great as this one for the OB.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,695 Posts
... I just can't be "on the hook" for $9K US in case the transmission goes bad after the warranty expires.
I think your fears about the CVT are unfounded. Besides, won't it cost you that same $9k to trade for a new WRX? Or is it that you just want a new WRX? Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
665 Posts
I think your fears about the CVT are unfounded. Besides, won't it cost you that same $9k to trade for a new WRX? Or is it that you just want a new WRX? Nothing wrong with that.
If the transmission were to fail, I'd need the lump sum in one payment, immediately. I'm not prepared for that.

If I trade the OB for a WRX, my payments will likely be lower, but stretched out a bit longer. Probably not the most economical way to go, but it's where my finances are.

And -- well -- I think I'll like it better. My wife wanted the OB, so the "automatic" was necessary, but she won't drive it. Never has. I think I'll get the WRX and enjoy it myself.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
Are you getting the 2021 or the 2022 WRX?

7101 - 7120 of 7151 Posts