Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Installed Nameless Axleback with 5" mufflers and also used their exhaust hangers.

EDIT
I thought I'd add my comments since Nameless does not.

1. Buy the Exhaust Hanger Removal Pliers. I know, odds are they won't be used again but they make the job much easier. Well worth the $17 (Amazon)
2. Unbolt the OEM mufflers and remove the bolts and nuts. 14 mm socket and 14 mm wrench required.
3. Spray silicone lubricant on all 4 exhaust hangers.
4. Remove the outside hangers first then the inside ones

NOTE: I bought the Nameless hangers so I removed the OEM ones. If you are using the OEM ones, leave them on the car, do not take them off and put them on the mufflers.

5. Hang the Nameless mufflers and insert the bolts, gasket and nuts but do not tighten yet. NOTE: Do not reuse the OEM gaskets.
6. Shake the mufflers to make sure there is no binding.
7. Tighten the bolts.
8. Wipe the Nameless mufflers with parts/brake cleaner to remove your fingerprints, grease, etc., otherwise when the exhaust system heats up they will become permanent. I know, I know, this is all pretty much hidden, but still. Also, I do this with headers, given how hot they get. Is it needed with stainless steel mufflers and pipes at the other end of the exhaust system? Not sure but I did not want to find out the hard way.
9. Start the car and check for leaks. There won't be any
10. You are done.
This post needs pictures....

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Sometimes I get the impression that I am the only one that really enjoys my Gen 6 XT. I owned an 09 Legacy and a 11 Outback, and this thing is light years better, technology quirks and all…
You're not. Really enjoy mine. Took a break today and took it on nice twisting hilly road not far from me. Even played tag with some dude in a sweet restored 67 or 68 Corvair. It handled better than I expected. Sometimes these things are just a matter of perspective.

Haven’t seen any technology quirks yet (knocks on wood).

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I think bone stock the car is fine, but handling is a priority for me - that's why I had an MR2 Turbo, SVX, WRX, Legacy GT wagon instead of an OBXT (to which I added a stiffer rear sway bar and Bilsteins, and put hotchkis sway bars and bilsteins on my 1996 Impala SS. For some people it's Corinthian Leather, or Audiophile car audio, and for me it's suspension - and based on all the other Outback generations where people put on thick rear sway bars, I know I'm not the only one. If you like it the way it is, don't touch it. If you want it to be different, there are options. But I want it all - utility, capability in all-weather, including wading through standing water from torrential rains. The Outback fits my needs perfectly, just needed tweaking for driving enjoyment, that's all.
I am considering putting in an upgraded rear sway bar.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I actually had a traffic situation where I could really try the speed hold function. WOW, really nice feature! I did notice that if it stopped long enough for the AS/S to engage it needed to be told to resume. I definitely held my foot over the brake, never needed it though...

Video for reference -
2020 Subaru Outback: Cruise Control Hold Mode
After reading this I had a chance to try it today as well. Wow is right! Works very well on surface streets with stop lights and traffic. Used as I was getting off the freeway and just pushed the speed down to 25 for going through the downtown area of my town. Worked great and just tapping the gas reengaged it when traffic started to move again. Awesome!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Here's how I keep the Wireless AA adapter. It's small, smaller than an altoids tin so quite easy to put it out of the way (excuse the dusty car):

View attachment 524191
Ah makes sense. If you have an iPhone you could use one of these:

aftermarket ones are significantly cheaper and can be found on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Apaprently magsafe works with the new Pixel 6/Pro phones using the Moment cases.

But I already have the OEM wireless charger any way. I think we are talking about different things. I was speaking of the wireless Android Auto adapter, not the wireless phone charger :)
We are, but the charger I mentioned would work for anyone with a newer iPhone who wanted to do a similar setup in their OB.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The overarching purpose behind buying an SUV at this point: i took my dogs someplace. Took 2 of my dogs to a boarding facility to do their “meet and greet” and see the facility. I have 4 but these 2 can’t be trusted in the house alone (the other 2 are fine) so we’ll need to board them over the holidays. Worked out well having them in the backseat/back.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Thanks, I looked around the site and the OP uses this one but delivery isn't expected until Jan 2022

There appear to be a number of these devices out there for both AA and Apple CP. A quick search of Amazon turned up several dozen. Seems the biggest issues with them are 1) Phone battery life decreases significantly, and 2) heat from the unit itself as well as the phone.

The heat seems to decrease the effectiveness of the devices operation..

Most reviews were very positive for almost all of the devices when it came to east of setup and use. The not so positive ones came after prolonged use.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Will you need another set of TPMS sensors? Not sure what happens (other than an idiot light) if they are not there.
If you look at the picture he attached, it comes with the TPMS kit. They should be able to clone them so the car thinks its the same TPMS modules regardless of which wheels he has on.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Based on the recommendations from others within this thread, I decided to purchase a NOCO jump starter. I got a pretty good deal on Amazon. I haven't had any issues with the battery (purchased the OB in May 2020), but though the jump starter is small and easy to carry. It's a nice to have accessory just in case, whether for my Outback or someone else with a dead batter. This is the NOCO I went with: NOCO GBX45.
I've been looking at several of these. Does the one you purchased seem well built and solid?

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Well on an impulse buy, I decided today that I really wanted to be back in a 4 Runner so I jumped on one and made $2K more than I paid for the Wilderness. This car was such a love/hate relationship. I will miss it on the highway, but that CVT and eyesight was just too annoying to not be happy on a daily basis. I appreciate all the help I received on this site. I will have a few things for sale now that I will list in the for sale later, but PM if interested in any of these things.
Congrats on getting back into the vehicle you really wanted! Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Installed my new Tuxmats, very impressed with the quality and exact fit. Initial impressions are they are better than Weathertechs. Now the real test - see how they hold up over time and through snow and salt.
If I lived somewhere where inclement weather was a regular thing I’d probably buy them too. They look quite nice and those that have them seem to really like them.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Lifted out the center console and ran a 2m iphone cable from the USB port to the console storage/armrest. Drilled 3/8” holes and wrapped a drilled out plug around the cable to cover the openings. I always use CarPlay for maps etc, and finally got tired of always fighting with the exposed and loose cable that would always be in the way. Now it’s all tucked away and can either put the phone in the tray (very tight fit), or just stick the phone in a cup holder. Only took about 20 min. Only a little thing ……. but like things just so ……….😎. Still thinking about CarLinkit for wireless function …….. at least it could be hidden in the cubby now……. View attachment 524835 View attachment 524836
Nice!

I’d though about doing this and it’s good to see how you accomplished it. I’ve been sliding my phone into the little storage slot on the lower left side of the front passenger dash area. Keeps it out of the way but within reach if I need it. Might go with this though.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts