Subaru Outback Forums banner

2181 - 2200 of 2282 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Finally got to my underside protection. I installed E515EFL201 rear diff protector and E515SAN000 engine under guard aluminum (for 2.4 only). Took 1-2 hours for both as I took my time and torqued everything properly. No clunks, all secure, no cross threads, etc.

To anyone else installing the engine guard, one step says to use a hole saw and cut part of the OEM plastic guard 40mm. I could not figure out why so I skipped it. It went together perfectly anyhow.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT in Autumn Green
184 Posts
Seems buyers regret on emblem overlays is a common occurrence here. I myself bought two sets ( at once) based on the Orsini online color chart and am now "wowed" be either once they arrived. We should run a site raffle/swap with all the unused stickers! 😊
An emblem swap wouldn't be a bad idea. For me, it's hard to envision how the finished product will look from the Orsini site. At least people could see the finished product, lined up next to the car, and judge better if they like it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Finally got to my underside protection. I installed E515EFL201 rear diff protector and E515SAN000 engine under guard aluminum (for 2.4 only). Took 1-2 hours for both as I took my time and torqued everything properly. No clunks, all secure, no cross threads, etc.

To anyone else installing the engine guard, one step says to use a hole saw and cut part of the OEM plastic guard 40mm. I could not figure out why so I skipped it. It went together perfectly anyhow.

View attachment 492597

View attachment 492599

View attachment 492598
do you know where they want the hole to be cut? Could it be for ventilation?

·
Registered
231 Posts
do you know where they want the hole to be cut? Could it be for ventilation?
It was over an existing hole from a push clip, center of the oem tray in the rear. They wanted that hole expanded to 40mm and the included hardware replaces that push clip. I do not understand what purpose that step serves.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
143 Posts
Another thing I did today was take out the rear seat assembly, both bench and backs. I usually take out the bench for a quick smash and grab trip when I wanna gain another couple of inches of room, but this time I experimented with taking off the backs as well (done it in the Crosstrek, never the OB). We are going full time in this bad boy with a small travel trailer next summer (1 year lead time to build it :oops:) and I’ve been experimenting with ways to drop weight and create room. Honestly, I don’t think I will be doing it again lol. It wasn’t hard, but it was annoying. There are electrical connections and cable connections that the crosstrek didn’t have, but it is only 3 bolts total. I was going to build a platform, but I don’t think thats in the cards anymore.

The main point of this post - which I help is useful to some - is that I weighed each of the pieces before reinstalling them.
Bench - 17lbs
1/3 Seat - 13lbs
2/3 seat - 28lbs
I rounded up, but the entire assembly weighs roughly 58lbs. I’ll be leaving it in so I can bring passengers without having to swap seats Back and forth. Ski season is upon us!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Drove 670 highway miles (round trip) plus 140 off-road miles (round trip) on famously tire-eating North Maine Woods logging roads to Allagash Lake with my canoe. Portaged the canoe a mile to the lake and had incredible serenity for 4 days and 3 nights! The new Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails did great

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Drove 670 highway miles (round trip) plus 140 off-road miles (round trip) on famously tire-eating North Maine Woods logging roads to Allagash Lake with my canoe. Portaged the canoe a mile to the lake and had incredible serenity for 4 days and 3 nights! The new Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails did great
View attachment 492621 View attachment 492623
View attachment 492625
View attachment 492627 View attachment 492629 View attachment 492630
View attachment 492631
That is one beautiful canoe! How much does it weigh, roughly?

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
158 Posts
Towed a 5’ by 8’ U-haul trailer with Moon Knight. Having never trailered anything it was definitely a learning experience. RAB got me once when backing up but lesson learned.

It’s official I don’t like anything near the tailgate.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,338 Posts
Funny. Did my window tint last week, emblems week before and kayak j racks are due in next week.
Vinyl overlays were easy using the wet method. Keep it wet with water/dish soap in spray bottle and you can move them where you need. They will not really stick until you apply heat then.
View attachment 492509
View attachment 492510
That is a cool dog!! 🐕 👍🏻

·
Registered
231 Posts
Blacked out the bumper reflectors with Vivid air release vinyl. Also replaced the cargo area light and puddle lights with Sylvania LEDs.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
With the increasingly common blackout of reflectors - some jurisdictions may require reflectors - don't know if your safety check guys care or not. Where I am, it's a requirement and on our safety check checklists.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
288 Posts
Another thing I did today was take out the rear seat assembly, both bench and backs. I usually take out the bench for a quick smash and grab trip when I wanna gain another couple of inches of room, but this time I experimented with taking off the backs as well (done it in the Crosstrek, never the OB). We are going full time in this bad boy with a small travel trailer next summer (1 year lead time to build it :oops:) and I’ve been experimenting with ways to drop weight and create room. Honestly, I don’t think I will be doing it again lol. It wasn’t hard, but it was annoying. There are electrical connections and cable connections that the crosstrek didn’t have, but it is only 3 bolts total. I was going to build a platform, but I don’t think thats in the cards anymore.

The main point of this post - which I help is useful to some - is that I weighed each of the pieces before reinstalling them.
Bench - 17lbs
1/3 Seat - 13lbs
2/3 seat - 28lbs
I rounded up, but the entire assembly weighs roughly 58lbs. I’ll be leaving it in so I can bring passengers without having to swap seats Back and forth. Ski season is upon us!!
How much space do you gain taking out the split seats? I have 1/3 2/3 split.

Also what model comes with the bench seat?

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
679 Posts
With the increasingly common blackout of reflectors - some jurisdictions may require reflectors - don't know if your safety check guys care or not. Where I am, it's a requirement and on our safety check checklists.
I’ve thought about smoking the reflectors, but not nearly as dark as some of the ones I’ve seen here. About 20 years ago I used VHT Nightshades on my Explorer (man, I’m old), and it came out great. Very slight smoke, but not enough to impact safety. The nice thing about that stuff is you can go as light or as dark as you want. I may give it a go.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
143 Posts
How much space do you gain taking out the split seats? I have 1/3 2/3 split.

Also what model comes with the bench seat?
Well I just meant the seat bottom, commonly referred to as the bench. There’s a decent amt of room you save, but its not worth it for me. Id say maybe 6 inches of height

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
972 Posts
Installed my mudflaps today. Weathertech recently came out with mudflaps for the 2020. I've never tried them before, but I've always liked how they don't look like an afterthought and blend in with the rest of the trim. They aren't flexible like other mudflaps, but I think it should be fine since I'm not doing much offroad. Figure the worst-case scenario is they crack at some point down the road and then I try a different style out. They were really easy to install, maybe 20-30 minutes. View attachment 481942 View attachment 481943 View attachment 481944 View attachment 481945 View attachment 481946
Now that you have several months under your belt, how do you feel about the weathertechs vs how it was with no mudflaps? They look like they have more coverage than oem, but perhaps at the expense of causing problems with clearance when off-roading?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
799 Posts
Loaded up two long plastic cargo bins, two large dehumidifiers, several more boxes of items, camp chair, and two metal detectors to carry all prizes for my club's competition hunt this year. I'd NEVER have pulled that off in my Altima.

Loving the 'ru!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
143 Posts
Loaded up two long plastic cargo bins, two large dehumidifiers, several more boxes of items, camp chair, and two metal detectors to carry all prizes for my club's competition hunt this year. I'd NEVER have pulled that off in my Altima.

Loving the 'ru!
I wanna hear more about these metal detecting competitions! Whats the coolest thing youve uncovered?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
799 Posts
I wanna hear more about these metal detecting competitions! Whats the coolest thing youve uncovered?
Competitions are seeded. We planted almost 690 silver dimes, over 500 wheat pennies, 66 prize tokens, keys to a treasure chest of coins (non-winning keys get silver half dollars), and had raffles for gold coins and a metal detector.

My favorite wild find is an Excelsior Shoe good luck token invoking the Boy Scouts when they were an original sponsor of the first handbook publication. I just like the history. And the fact on one side it has a boy scout on a horse but the other looks like a swastika (which was actually a Victorian Era good luck symbol). Shocked me when I first saw it. Was 8 inches down under a clothes line and when I first saw it I though I had a Large Cent. I actually found a copy of the original advertisement in the manual where they asked the kids to tell their parents they'd run faster and jump higher, plus get a good luck token for trying on a pair.

2181 - 2200 of 2282 Posts