Subaru Outback Forums banner

2221 - 2240 of 2607 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
215 Posts
How is the mount secured? With two car seats on either side that's a fantastic spot for some ice cold H20.
So I actually drilled four holes in the tuxmat and secured the bolts with nuts. Holds on great.

edit:
so I decided to forgo the cargo nets I had in the rear because they proved to be super annoying with a packed car...hatch wouldn’t close. So I stored all my camp gear with the spare tire and it works great. Out of sight for thieves as well. Even rigged up a headlamp for light :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,897 Posts
So I actually drilled four holes in the tuxmat and secured the bolts with nuts. Holds on great.

edit:
so I decided to forgo the cargo nets I had in the rear because they proved to be super annoying with a packed car...hatch wouldn’t close. So I stored all my camp gear with the spare tire and it works great. Out of sight for thieves as well. Even rigged up a headlamp for light :) View attachment 493137
So I have to say, the donut tire option has it's pros and cons. Cons are obvious but truth be told, I love having that cavernous space under the deck. Mine is packed to the gills all the time with "essentials" (and some luxuries) that may not otherwise be in the car when needed if I had to store them in the cabin. : I keep, 2 cans fix-flat, 30' tow strap, air pump shovel, rope, camp chair, tree saw, machete, emergency blanket, 20' jumper cables, basic tools, trash bags, rain gear etc in there with my spare. I'd Just as soon have the room.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
292 Posts

edit:
so I decided to forgo the cargo nets I had in the rear because they proved to be super annoying with a packed car...hatch wouldn’t close. So I stored all my camp gear with the spare tire and it works great. Out of sight for thieves as well. Even rigged up a headlamp for light :) View attachment 493137
That is one huge flyswatter you have in there.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
292 Posts
So I have to say, the donut tire option has it's pros and cons. Cons are obvious but truth be told, I love having that cavernous space under the deck. Mine is packed to the gills all the time with "essentials" (and some luxuries) that may not otherwise be in the car when needed if I had to store them in the cabin. : I keep, 2 cans fix-flat, 30' tow strap, air pump shovel, rope, camp chair, tree saw, machete, emergency blanket, 20' jumper cables, basic tools, trash bags, rain gear etc in there with my spare. I'd Just as soon have the room.
And there's still room for me to hide in there. But uh could you throw a few cans of drinks in too?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,998 Posts
newbie question, but what is that bulge in the back? Optical illusion or trailer hitch..?
Which one? I do have a trailer hitch (Stealth hitch) but it is impossible to tell it's there, even looking straight at the car from behind.

·
Registered
‘20 Outback Limited, ‘20 Legacy Limited
43 Posts
i think the pic I quoted is an optical illusion, it looks like a bulge right out the back in that pic, but I saw one of your others and it was normal. Lol, serious, looks like an odd bulge in the back, but just that photo.
Which one? I do have a trailer hitch (Stealth hitch) but it is impossible to tell it's there, even looking straight at the car from behind.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,998 Posts
i think the pic I quoted is an optical illusion, it looks like a bulge right out the back in that pic, but I saw one of your others and it was normal. Lol, serious, looks like an odd bulge in the back, but just that photo.
Yeah I think that's the cladding causing an illusion :)

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
977 Posts
Had it at dealer for aforementioned rear gate not opening bit.

They suspected my orsini emblem overlay screwed with the whole "wave hand over rear emblem to open" functionality and confused the heck out of the computer. Unhooked battery to clear error and expected it to happen again as confirmation. It didn't, worked fine after reset. So, they're not sure but its working now. They turned off that function and gave me the car back, said if it happens again, its definitely not that, bring it back to them.

If you get an emblem overlay turn that function off!

Also, as a side note, I asked them to get me the ID's of the tpms sensors, so I can order clones from tire rack to put in my winter wheel set. They did so, free of charge.

Slightly miffed that we didn't nail down a cause for the rear gate issue. But then again I walked into a dealer with a problem, walked out without one, and with those codes to set up my winter set, all without paying a dime. Rather have the comfort of knowing what happened, but I've got no complaints.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Hmmmm. @RocketMan20 - any feedback on that? Has the boat been out in the hot sun with that accessory? Keep us updated on this? I imagine that there are a lot of different heat tolerances in adhesives used for this stuff. I mean, I used adhesive-based door scuff protectors and they haven’t melted on me like the Wicked Witch of the West just yet.

Thanks!
Geez, just seeing this. but will follow up. Oddly I have one of these sets that stuck like it was welded. The other had to get re-glued with a silicon/goop type adhesive and has stayed through a hot baked summer. Both sets purchased at different times and from different vendors. I suspect the "3M" tape on one set was fake. Regluing was a simple enough task though.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
11 Posts
FINALLY got a cooler day here in FL yesterday to install the Curt trailer hitch that's been awaiting install in our garage, on our '20 OB Touring XT. Not as easy as the instructions from Curt claim or as shown in the 'how to' DYI videos on Internet, especially when you're 76 yrs old. But, I got it bolted in. Still have to trim the plastic rear bumper cover insert facia to fit around the 2" receiver and reinstall it but that should be relatively easy...emphasis on 'should'. Waiting on delivery of the trailer wiring harness to complete the job. :cool:

Update: Finished install today, still awaiting wiring harness.

Final update: Curt wiring harness arrived. Wasted about 2 hours trying to locate plug this harness is supposed to plug in to, because Curt's installation instructions are WRONG! They say this needed plug is on driver's side of the '20 OB Touring, near back of rear seat. It's actually in the right rear corner of the spare tire compartment. If you're installing a Curt trailer wiring harness, search for one of the DYI videos on Youtube AND DON'T FOLLOW CURT'S INSTRUCTIONS!!!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
FINALLY got a cooler day here in FL yesterday to install the Curt trailer hitch that's been awaiting install in our garage, on our '20 OB Touring XT. Not as easy as the instructions from Curt claim or as shown in the 'how to' DYI videos on Internet, especially when you're 76 yrs old. But, I got it bolted in. Still have to trim the plastic rear bumper cover insert facia to fit around the 2" receiver and reinstall it but that should be relatively easy...emphasis on 'should'. Waiting on delivery of the trailer wiring harness to complete the job. :cool:

Update: Finished install today, still awaiting wiring harness. View attachment 493374
I'm confused. It looks like the bumper cover is in place already ( which requires the specified trimming.) . Are you saying it needs to come off to take a bit more off?

2221 - 2240 of 2607 Posts