Subaru Outback Forums banner

2761 - 2780 of 2866 Posts

·
Registered
Silver XT Outdoor
32 Posts
Mine have been on for several days so I've had a chance to try them out on wet and dry surfaces and straightaways, curves and highway. They are unquestionably the grippiest and secure-feeling tire I've had on any car ever. Hope you like them as much.
Do you have the CrossClimates 2’s? All the different CrossClimate variations were hard to sort out at first.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
176 Posts
Color matching was not an issue for me EXCEPT for the vanity lights.

Here is what I used:

Cabin: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJNMR40/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cargo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JY9Q49M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Vanity: 28mm SMF2 LED Bulbs (you need 4)
Puddle and license plate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186P1MUW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the puddle light I currently have these Subaru-logo-geeky lights. I'll change them over to pure LEDs someday, but these are kinda fun and they do actually light a million times better than the stock bulbs:

Also note that Diode Dynamics has very expensive shipping rates, but the color match on these bulbs was very important so I bit the bullet and am glad I did. The color match is excellent, not blinding, but plenty of light and can also double to light the front passenger areas in addition to the map lights.
Did you get the cool white or warm white for the vanity lights?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,033 Posts
Are those 235’s or 225’s? If you ordered 4, you didn’t get one for the spare?
Looks great!
They are 225/60/R18. I still have my unused spare tire that came with the car so I was just going to use that if needed.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
925 Posts
So after going back and forth deciding between using Geolanders or CrossClimates as winters. I’ve finally settled and ordered some CrossClimates 2’s. They’re not cheap but after figuring out the recalls here in Canada and reading the rave reviews, I’ve decided to give them a try. I’m going with the 235 60 R18 as that’s the only width they have on the 60 ratio.
Will post when I get them installed.
There is a C/C SUV that is in our size

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
240 Posts
Did you get the cool white or warm white for the vanity lights?
Definitely warm whites and the color is perfect. Not the harsh blue-ish 5000K type light that is useful for the cargo area, or your backup lights. It's very pleasant, but bright.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
59 Posts
The deed is done. Only drove about 4 miles back to my house but so far they feel good if not a bit rough. Hopefully it will go away after some wear.

View attachment 497621
Question: Can you explain "rough". I want these tires but I worry the ride quality will go down and I will hear about it endlessly from the wife, and she is relentless lol.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,033 Posts
Question: Can you explain "rough". I want these tires but I worry the ride quality will go down and I will hear about it endlessly from the wife, and she is relentless lol.
It kind of feels like going over asphalt. I thought it was a balancing issue but the roughness doesn't change with speed. I am still at 40 miles so I will give it another couple of hundred miles for the tires to settle down.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
All-terrain tires have stiffer sidewalls than a grand touring tire, and the OEM tire I think has very soft sidewalls so almost any tire is not going to be as soft/plush as the OEM tire which I find too "mushy" myself.

If ride comfort is a priority but you must go all-terrain, the Geolandar might be the best compromise tire. Just looking at the tread pattern it's not as aggressive and Tire Rack's testing seems to find it comfortable and quiet for an a/t tire.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,033 Posts
All-terrain tires have stiffer sidewalls than a grand touring tire, and the OEM tire I think has very soft sidewalls so almost any tire is not going to be as soft/plush as the OEM tire which I find too "mushy" myself.

If ride comfort is a priority but you must go all-terrain, the Geolandar might be the best compromise tire. Just looking at the tread pattern it's not as aggressive and Tire Rack's testing seems to find it comfortable and quiet for an a/t tire.

Yeah I think it's just the nature of the tire. But the Falkens do feel more 'rubbery' for lack of a better term. They feel more stiffer and planted than the stock OEM Yokohamas.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I like that "rubbery" feeling of a lively tire myself, and if it's what I'm thinking of, it does go away over time. A tire tends to become deader - don't know if the vibration and heat hardens the rubber or what it is, but to my senses the brand new tire rides best and they deaden with age - feeling subjectively heavier even though they're actually lighter as they wear out.

Even on the stock Yokohama tires they don't feel quite as pillow soft as when the car was brand new - I'm around the 6000 mile mark.

edit - it might be because I did all those small suspension firming mods though.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,033 Posts
Planted and firm is good, bone jarring or bouncy is bad.
Not bone jarring or bouncy, it's almost like the car is riding on adhesive covered road. Very grippy. I heard that's how the tires are the first 100 or so miles.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
39 Posts
Did Axleback with 5" muffler. Low rumble, no highway drone, won't wake up the neighborhood in the morning. It's just enough rumble to feel sorta cool but nothing obnoxious; purrs like a well-fed cat when idling or cruising, wakes up just enough on hard acceleration/boost.

Cold start

Off the line > cruise > boost

View attachment 497698
Sounds nice! My only concern is I'd be too tempted to floor it each time off the line.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
182 Posts
So while looking at the Roof top cargo thread and thought to look for SSM4, I found this site with SSM3 and SSM4 downloads:

Any one know how to use them?
I have no idea how to use this stuff, but I found a bunch of other links that someone savvy enough might appreciate:

2761 - 2780 of 2866 Posts